Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Data volume and speed needs for two simultaneous 4K recordings on local storage

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Roadrunner007
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just bought an Arlo Ultra 2 camera kit.

Planning on having both cloud and local storage active.

Also planning on having 1 Arlo Ultra wired and 1 Arlo Ultra on battery, both linked so that when one detects motion both start recording.

I am trying to decide what type of mircoSD card I need for the local storage.

Question 1: what speed should I select V30, V60 or V90 to support 2 simultaneous 4K recordings?

Question 2: what is the files size on the SD card of one 4K recording of e.g. 1 second. Trying to calculate how many hours of recording I get on a 64GB, 128GB or 256GB card respectively.

Thank you,  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There are FAQs here that answer most questions like this. From https://kb.arlo.com/000062206/What-are-the-features-and-specifications-of-the-Arlo-Ultra-camera:

microSD card requirements

Speed class 10, UHS1, V10

Min home upload speed

2-4Mbps 

One 40 second video on my camera is 9.6MB on best video. YMMV

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There are FAQs here that answer most questions like this. From https://kb.arlo.com/000062206/What-are-the-features-and-specifications-of-the-Arlo-Ultra-camera:

microSD card requirements

Speed class 10, UHS1, V10

Min home upload speed

2-4Mbps 

One 40 second video on my camera is 9.6MB on best video. YMMV

Roadrunner007
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the response on data volume. If my math is correct a 64GB card will give me about 3 days of continuous recording. I think that should be plenty to cover a few months of incidents of 2 cameras.

Regarding speed requirements: I did see the microSD requirements in the FAQ. However it also said in an Arlo information that up to v90  UHS3 is supported. I am trying to understand if 2 simultaneous 4K reads would be covered by the minimum requirement "Speed class 10, UHS1, V10" or a higher speed would be required/recommended for this use scenario.

General information on speed requirements for camcorders states V30 as the minimum for one 4K stream. However, I assume the Arlo Ultra will produce a lot less data than regular camcorders and hence that general guidance is probably overstating the requirements.

Thank you,  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I can't be sure since I'm no expert but the overall bitrate of the 4k recordings isn't that high due to the compression/encoding used. Someone else with more knowledge may jump in here with real data but I wouldn't be concerned as long as the specs are met.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Roadrunner007 wrote:

Thank you for the response on data volume. If my math is correct a 64GB card will give me about 3 days of continuous recording.

Note CVR isn't recorded on the SD card at present.

Arlo says 3 megabits per second is the data rate requirement for the Ultra ( https://kb.arlo.com/000062043/What-are-the-minimum-requirements-for-installing-and-using-my-Arlo-sys... ) which definitely has some margin.

But taking the 3 megabits at face value, you'd get ~170K seconds of stprage on a 64 GB card.  64GB * 8000 -> 512000 megabits of data on the card.  Divide by 3, and you get 170,667 seconds (or about 2 days).

Arlo generally assumes 5 minutes/day for each camera for battery life estimates.  If that assumption holds for you, you'd have over 9 months retention on your 64 GB card.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation