Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Connection Issues Arlo Ultra 2 camera system. Each is connected to Solar Panel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Tkulpinski
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased the 2 camera system (VMA5600B-10000S; VMS5240-100) in early June.  The two camera are within a foot of each other about 100 feet away from my smart hub.  Each camera is attached to a Solar Panel (Arlo Ultra/pro Solar Charge).  These cameras worked wonderfully for the month of June, July, and part of August, however now they seem to drop connection, the solar charge signal sometimes comes on and sometimes doesn't.  I've charged the batteries to 100% and the camera still has a weak connection indicator.

When the system was installed I had a strong signal and now often nothing.  Nothing has changed with location.  It seems that whatever is in the camera that connects to the hub is no longer as strong as it was when new.  At first it was one camera and now it's both.   When I hold the cameras close to the hub they connect fine.

The smart hub sits in a window with direct line of site (100ft) to the camera.  This location was chosen in the beginning as it had good signal and was easy to attach to our network via eithernet.

When the cameras work they are fantastic.  Looking for help.

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

100 feet can be an issue depending on your environment. The statement that "up to 300 feet" in the literature is based on perfect conditions and the real world usually interferes. WHile it used to work isn't a guarantee since something may have changed, whether intended or not. If repositioning the hub and/or cameras doesn't help, bring them closer to see if that works ok.

Also, having 2 cameras close together can be an issue. I think there's an Arlo suggestion of (maybe) 6 feet of separation is needed to prevent them from interfering with each other's signal.

Tkulpinski
Aspirant
Aspirant

I would assume that Arlo would refund my money since I purchased the cameras with the intention of being under the 300' range.

I measured and I'm really only 70'.  I removed one camera and still don't have the connection I had when they were installed. (But I have a "Good" strength)  One battery won't charge at all and the other I can't seem to charge on the solar panel.  Do batteries go in 3 months?

As far as perfect conditions there is a line of sight to the camera there is nothing different in the neighborhood.  I'm in FL and the snow birds haven't returned so the area is basically vacant, so I doubt there is any new interference.  

Purchased 6/9/2020 and installed the next day.  They worked flawlessly for June, July and I started having problems in mid August.  

What are my next steps?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use the Contact Support link at the bottom here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation