Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 43 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Amar66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello, have had an Arlo Ultra cam since 2019. 

Firmware: 1.19.0.3._123768a8e53

Serial number: 5GP18C7BA15FF

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy s23 Ultra (on my old phone, the Galaxy s20+ streaming didn't work either). 

In the beginning, when I got the cam, streaming in 4k worked, then it suddenly stopped working. This has been this way for over 2 years. 

Is there a solution to this problem??

Many thanks, Amar

43 REPLIES 43
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Amar66 wrote:

Thanks for your help. The hub storage settings can't be changed, as I haven't inserted an sd card. 

I'm a bit confused on this part of your reply, as none of @Edinburgh_lad1's suggestions have anything to do with local storage.

One thing to keep in mind is that 4K live streaming only works with the app - live streaming in my.arlo.com is always 1080p.  The app of course needs to be allowed to use your local network, so check your iOS/Android settings for the app, and make sure that is enabled.

Have you tried restarting the hub (as @Edinburgh_lad1 also suggested)?  Maybe also try rebooting one of the Ultras by removing and reinserting the battery.

Amar66
Aspirant
Aspirant

This was suggested:

- go to the Hub's settings, then Storage Settings > Record in Maximum Resolution (enabled this option)

So that's why I wrote I couldn't change those Hub settings, as this appears only to be possible if an sd card

is inserted to the cam.

Yes, am aware, 4k stream is only possible on the mobile phone. This used to work in the past, no longer.

You say the app needs to use my local network, I was under the impression that that is the default case? I mean, if I can stream (which I can, just not in 4k), then isn't my hub automatically connected to my home wifi?

Restarting the Hub have also tried, but haven't tried taking out and reinserting the cam battery, will try that, thanks.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Amar66 wrote:

This was suggested:

- go to the Hub's settings, then Storage Settings > Record in Maximum Resolution (enabled this option)

FWIW, that setting doesn't exist with my VMB5000.  There is a "best local recording" setting there, but that of course is only relevant if you have local storage.

There is also a "Best Video" option in power management, which I do suggest setting.

@Amar66 wrote:

if I can stream (which I can, just not in 4k), then isn't my hub automatically connected to my home wifi?

Your hub is never directly connected to your home wifi, it is connected via ethernet.   

More importantly, live streaming works even if you are not home, so it will work if the app is only using mobile data.  In that case the video is sent camera->base->router->arlo cloud->phone.

@Amar66 wrote:

You say the app needs to use my local network, I was under the impression that that is the default case? 

To clarify this - both Android and iOS have options to manage the use of mobile and wifi networks for each app.  So it is possible to set up an app to only use mobile data, and never use your wifi connection.  That particular setup is sometimes useful for enhanced security - not allowing apps with sensitive data to transfer that data over a local (perhaps insecure) hotspot.

Although this is likely set up correctly for Arlo Secure, it is worth checking.  

I use an iPhone myself, and the relevant setting is in the Apple General settings for the app.  It's the "Local Network" setting on this screen:

IMG_1441.PNG

I haven't used Android for a while, but I believe it has a similar setting.

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

We can't see your screenshots because they need to be approved by the mods to be visible on here. This is a matter of days before this is done. 

For you to be able to stream in 4k:

- your Hub needs to be connected to your home router (via an ethernet cable) 

- *and* your mobile device (phone, tablet etc.) needs to be connected to that router's WiFi.

So, if you're accessing your Arlo app on your phone using 3G, 4G, 5G etc., you *won't* be able to stream in 4k. This is what the mods meant when they said you need to be on the same network. (Same SSID)  

A way of testing may be to download WiFiman from the Play store, and select Discovery on it. If you can't see your Arlo station amongst devices connected to your network (VMB5000), then you have a problem with your network in that you're not connected to it etc.

For your cameras to record in 4k, you need to be able to enable those options that I described in my previous post *and so* you need to have an SD card in.

I can see @StephenB has responded before me, but I also note that he gets easily confused 🙂

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Edinburgh_lad1 wrote:

We can't see your screenshots because they need to be approved by the mods to be visible on here. 

FYI, a reasonable guess, but there are no screenshots in that post - just a bunch of blank lines. 

(You can tell by clicking reply, then quote.  Then look at the html using the ... option in the toolbar).

Amar66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Many thanks! I downloaded the wifiman, clicked on discovery, and yes, VMB5000 was listed there! 🤪

Is this the problem?!

Amar66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Oh, hold on, you said if I can't see it, vmb5000, then I have a problem. But i do see it. So that's not the problem.

Still looking for Network and internet in my Samsung. .

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Amar66 wrote:

I downloaded the wifiman, clicked on discovery, and yes, VMB5000 was listed there! 🤪

Is this the problem?!

It says that the phone is connected to your wifi - so not the problem.

But do check that the app has permission to use your wifi (as I mentioned above).

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Amar66 wrote:

Still looking for Network and internet in my Samsung. .

This might help you find the setting:

Note this assumes Android 11 or later.  Also, the article says that Samsung removed these settings - not sure if that is true with your phone, as the article is a year old.

The second method is about blocking access, not allowing it - so not relevant to your problem.

Amar66
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I went to:

Settings, location, location permissions, arlo secure, 'allow all the time'. Is that correct? Sorry for having so much difficulties here.. 

Amar66
Aspirant
Aspirant

I found it now, all app permissions are given in my phone, for camera, contacs, location, microphone, music and audio, nearby devices, notifications, phone, photos and videos.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Amar66 wrote:

I found it now, all app permissions are given in my phone, for camera, contacs, location, microphone, music and audio, nearby devices, notifications, phone, photos and videos.

Ok.  One definitive test is to put your phone in airplane mode, and then enable wifi.  That will force the app to use your wifi connection.

I'm assuming you will be able to livestream in that mode.  Since you aren't seeing the recording control, the app is set up to livestream in 4K.  I have seen some posts saying that the 4K/2K labeling isn't always correct (and I saw that on my own phone, as I noted earlier in the thread).

So I am thinking that you are actually are livestreaming in 4K, even though you aren't seeing much difference. (Honestly I don't see much if any on my iPhone 12 mini, though results might be different on a phone with a bigger screen).

Amar66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Amazing! I put my phone into airplane mode, switched wifi back on, and lo and behold, I now can live stream in 4k. You're a genius. 

But, why does this method work?

So I was about to ask whether I always need to be on airplane mode to stream in 4k, instead I just tried out: Disabled airplane mode and switched on arlo on my phone: it's steams again in 4k, as it did 2 years ago! 

Why did this superb intervention work, and why was it necessary? 

Amar66
Aspirant
Aspirant

When I now start arlo on my phone, for a split second I get a completely green screen on the phone, before I get the 4k stream. Not that that would be a problem, I vaguely remember this being the case, when 4k stream worked some years ago. Never happens when I stream in 2k. 

Don't know if this is relevant in explaining why it now works, just curious. 

Amar66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Oh, sorry, one more thing. There is a deffinate difference in the two streams. I zoomed in maximally once with the 4k indicator on my screen, and once without, I took a picture of the same thing twice. Huge difference. Here you can see the difference. Screenshot_20230304_165252_Arlo Secure.jpgScreenshot_20230304_165212_Arlo Secure.jpg

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

Green screen is indicative of a communication issue. Whilst your base station is and maybe has been in the same place for some time now, users (not necessarily you, but maybe your neighbours) introduce more devices that interfere with the WiFi signal, such as big metal objects etc. etc. This can affect the signal quality. Therefore, you should bring your base station closer to the camera for testing purposes and see if this improves the stream quality. 

Amar66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Good advice, thanks. At least it works again, and if for some reason the 4k stream no longer works again, I'll have a work-around!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Amar66 wrote:

Oh, sorry, one more thing. There is a deffinate difference in the two streams. I zoomed in maximally once with the 4k indicator on my screen, and once without, I took a picture of the same thing twice. Huge difference. Here you can see the difference. 

Thx for sharing, I agree there is a clear difference.

Amar66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Here is btw where I use my cam. In my greenhouse where I grow carnivorous plants.❤️

Screenshot_20230304_171231_Arlo Secure.jpg

Discussion stats
  • 43 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation