Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can't view videos outside wi-fi

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
dcevasco
Aspirant
Aspirant
All-I currently have 5 Arlo Cameras set up on my home network, but the 2 newest ones that I added (Arlo 4K ultra) I cant view any of the recorded videos when I'm not at home. The older ones I have no problems with, but I can't view any of the recorded videos on the new 4K cameras when I'm on regular cellular service. Is this a setting? Can someone help me out? By the way, I am trying to view the videos on a Samsung S21.
6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you trying to view cloud storage (the normal library), or use direct access to local storage (which requires a VMB4540 or VMB5000 smarthub)?

dcevasco
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am trying to view the direct storage access.
dcevasco
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the VMB5000r5 hub.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you set up port forwarding (requires changes in your router settings as well as enabling it in the app)?

dcevasco
Aspirant
Aspirant
No. I have no idea what that is or how to do it.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dcevasco wrote:
No. I have no idea what that is or how to do it.

Ok.  That's why you can't see the videos when you are away.

One option is to get a subscription.  Then the videos are in cloud storage, and you can see them from anywhere.  That is the simplest approach, and of course gives you the other subscription features.

Another option is to deploy a VPN to reach your home network (this is different from the VPNs you see advertised).  This VPN is hosted by your router. Then turn on the VPN in your phone when you want to view your videos. This will work if you have an iPhone, but last I checked wasn't working well with Android.  Also, not all routers have the VPN feature.

The last option is to enable port forwarding for direct storage in the app.  Make of note of the port number the app displays.  Set up your router to reserve an IP address for your smarthub, and then forward the port in your router to that IP address (both for TCP and UDP). 

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation