Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera will not record or take picture

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Heatseeker519
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the ultra set up and front camera works like a charm other then giving notifications out of zone but not a big deal, second camera I had to sync manually and it won’t take a still shot or record to the cloud and yes I have a smart subscription. Why does my app show the second camera and synced to the hub but won’t record??
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Heatseeker519
Aspirant
Aspirant
I moved the camera to over my door and that pretty much stopped it, I do get the occasional at night like you mentioned from car lights and in the early morning with the sunrise but neither of those are a big deal. Thanks for the advice and I guess I should have updated my post. Learned real quick though that placement is everything.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What mode is in use? Does it have a rule for the camera? Have you tried creating a new custom mode to see if that works properly?

Heatseeker519
Aspirant
Aspirant
It is in factory mode, to detect motion and record. Can’t find anything for a rule. The only modes I found are armed, disarm, geofencing and schedule. It does record at times but it seems to pick and choose. Ordered a new mount so was thinking of removing then re syncing to the hub when I move it.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Read the FAQs here on various topics, including how to modify and create modes and rules. The rules are inside the modes. Since you're using the Armed mode, try increasing the motion sensitivity setting for the camera in the mode - be sure to save. It may also be the distance, speed and direction of the motion that is at issue. Remember that people detection is only out to ~25 feet with sensitivity turned all the way up.

Heatseeker519
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you, I have been reading the manual like crazy lol I am not that far from the road so think it might just be one of those deal with it cases, glad I ordered extra batteries and the charger. I tried to upload a picture but my phone only saves jpeg. I am thinking it is the distance though thank you.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Heatseeker519,

Check to make sure the second camera is participating in your Arlo Smart subscription. You can check this by navigating to Settings > Subscription > Manage cameras.

JamesC

Heatseeker519
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you James, I did get that one working finally, I walked outside and it saw me and from then no issues, now my front one is sending notifications and recording every car that goes by and I have a zone set for just the porch and yard but was told it could be due to the road being with in 25 ft and there is nothing I can do I just shut off notifications for that camera and will delete the 100 or so clips each night unless you may know of something else. I did remove the camera and re synced it, I would attach a picture but it says it won’t allow as my phone save in jpeg format. Thank you for all the help.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Heatseeker519 wrote:
 now my front one is sending notifications and recording every car that goes by and I have a zone set for just the porch and yard but was told it could be due to the road being with in 25 ft and there is nothing I can do

Of course activity zones are supposed to solve that problem.

It looks to me like you could adjust the camera a bit more downwards, and avoid capturing the road (or at least most of it).  I also suggest shrinking your activity zone - creating some more margin.  You likely are particularly interested in the porch, so you probably don't need to include up to the edge of the sidewalk.

You could also turn off notifications for vehicles (and maybe "all other motion").

One thing I've noticed is that even with activity zones, I will get notifications at night - generally caused by the lights on emergency vehicles or sometimes trucks.   The lights illuminate the activity zone, and the system can treat that as motion.

Heatseeker519
Aspirant
Aspirant
I moved the camera to over my door and that pretty much stopped it, I do get the occasional at night like you mentioned from car lights and in the early morning with the sunrise but neither of those are a big deal. Thanks for the advice and I guess I should have updated my post. Learned real quick though that placement is everything.
Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation