Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
HazzMatt
Apprentice
Apprentice

My Arlo Ultra camera signal strengths vary and my assumption is that this could be happening when the WiFi Channel changes. Most of the time, there is always 1 or 2 of my 5 cameras that show a weak signal. Today is one of the rare days (so far) that all 5 cameras show good signals. Based on my investigation, there are no other variables causing the varied signal strengths. If it is the wifi channel, is there a way to "lock in that channel" on a desired channel to keep the camera signals healthy all of the time? Thanks for any tips!

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Assuming your hub is close to your router, the channel doesn't change on its own - the hub uses the same channel as the router for minimum interference. If the hub is well away from the router it will pick its own channel. In either case, the channel is very unlikely to change unless the hub and/or router is restarted or otherwise forced to pick a new channel.

I wouldn't worry about signal levels as long as the cameras work properly all the time. 

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

My hub is about 8 feet from the router and based on a wi-fi analyzer is sometimes on the same channel and other times on different channel's.  (remember we were advised by Arlo to separate them, even though they send a shorter cable with them lol)  A reset is the first thing were told to do if there is an issue so channels change.  I often disarm mine if working in the yard and after re arming the signal is frequently different.  2/3 resets will often get me a better signal.  As for locking in on a specific channel that is done in the router menu.  Most are set to auto on both 2.4 and 5ghz. You can go to each and specify a channel of choice and save and that will do it.  Depending on what all you use everything will use the specified channel.  Keep in mind you can use more than one router on many systems letting you use a set one for Arlo and another for the rest of your stuff.  If you don't use the feature to see what's on your SD you can also plug direct into the provider modem if ethernet slots are available.  Otherwise the hub and phone must be on the same wi-fi.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation