Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Blinking orange light on base station

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
chmelina
Aspirant
Aspirant

Why is the orange light blinking on my arlo ultra base station?

Best answers
8 REPLIES 8
brh
Master
Master

@chmelina,

does the system seem to be working?

The LED on the Ultra Smart Hub can blink amber for several reasons. It usually blinks amber while it is booting up then if successful, it will turn to blue. It can also flash amber if one or more of your cameras is having connection problems. It could also mean that you are not connecting to the internet. See the top portion of this article:

https://kb.arlo.com/000039100/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-base-station-mean

Brian

chmelina
Aspirant
Aspirant

The system is working. When I go to DEVICES it shows that all 7 camers are connected. The light blinks for maybe 2 min or to hours and then goes back to blue. So maybe you are correct that the system is booting up. Thanks for your help.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try rebooting the hub .

sandman0922
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi chmelina,

Are you still having this issue??  I have had mine for 2-3 days now and the first day it worked perfectly (solid blue light) but on day 2 it started to flash amber - it then said the smarthub was off-line so I did a power cycle restart with both the router and base station and everything worked again - HOWEVER, the light remains flashing amber despite all 7 of my cameras working properly.

The base station is hidden so the light doesn't really affect me - however just curious if you are still experiencing the same issue.

Thanks!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

sandman0922,

A blinking amber LED on the SmartHub indicates a camera is out of range. This could be due to range, or poor signal due to interference. If your cameras are working, this may not cause an issue for you but could result in inability to stream the cameras. For more information, take a look here: https://kb.arlo.com/000039100/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-Base-Station-mean

JamesC

PPP-001
Guide
Guide

A general rule of thumb in home networking says that Wi-Fi routers operating on the 2.4 GHz band reach up to 150 feet (46 m) indoors and 300 feet (92 m) outdoors. Older 802.11a routers that ran on 5 GHz bands reached approximately one-third of these distances.

This is the answer.Add up Moisture too.

pnovotny
Aspirant
Aspirant
Why do you mean by moisture?
Graham_A
Apprentice
Apprentice

The 2.4Ghz spectrum is otherwise known as ‘microwave’. The Arlo (and all WiFi routers) operate with thousands of times less power than a microwave oven. Just like a microwave oven though the energy is absorbed by water in the food In a microwave and by the environment surrounding a WiFi router, thereby reducing its range, particularly outdoors where humidity will lower the signal’s strength at the receiving end.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation