Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Barto123
Aspirant
Aspirant

Whenever I try to watch live mode in the android app, I get a black screen with audio about 75% of the time. I used to get video more often but the problem is getting worse. Please help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

New versions of the Arlo mobile app for Android and iOS are available in the app store. For those experiencing this issue, please update to the latest version of the Arlo Mobile App.

If you're still experiencing the same issue on this version of the Arlo mobile app, please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate.

JamesC

View solution in original post

78 REPLIES 78
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Barto123,

Do you notice this happening on a specific device or with a specific camera? Are you connected to mobile data or your home WiFi? Anything that can point to this happening more at certain times than others?

What does the signal strength indicator show for the camera having this issue?

JamesC

Barto123
Aspirant
Aspirant

It happens intermittently with all cameras. It happens both when I am connected to home wifi and mobile data. There is no rhyme or reason why it happens when it does. Some days it all I get is a black screen but can hear sound, other times I can see the live video fine. The signal strength always shows 2-3 bars on the cameras. Very frustrating. 

LA_phx
Aspirant
Aspirant
I noticed the update on my android/samsung galaxy 10e, app version 2.10.0_26060 started acting up on all my cameras. Everything was working fine until app update. Live view is black screen
adamfrade
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am getting the same issue with a black screen on Live View. I just upgrade my phone to a Samsung S20, when I press play on my Arlo Ultra Cameras I get a black screen, if I press play on my Arlo Pro 2 camera it works. 

RVE1995
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issue. My other cameras show live fine. Its only my Pro 3. Started a few weeks ago. 

Robi1970
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem for me aswell. Had my new phone, Samsung S20 Ultra, and live function is now a black screen. It works when using live function with a pc in same network, so the issue is clearly compability between arlo and latest android software.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For those experiencing this issue, do you have local 4K live streaming enabled? Do you experience the same behavior when attempting to live stream using the mobile data connection (turn off WiFi on your mobile device)?

JamesC

Robi1970
Aspirant
Aspirant

Local 4k-straming ON

Automatic HDR ON

With WiFi on, and connected to the local network the 4k-streaming shows a black screen & sound. 4K logo visible.

When turning WiFi off, then live stream works - not 4K though.

adamfrade
Aspirant
Aspirant
Weerosco
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue for me.
Local 4k-streaming ON
Automatic HDR ON
With WiFi on, and connected to the local network the 4k-streaming shows a black screen with sound. 4K logo visible.
Turning WiFi off, live stream works - not in 4K though.
WPS3
Tutor
Tutor
Same. 4K live shows black screen, while 1080P works.
KK86
Aspirant
Aspirant
Having similar issue, not streaming live in 4k when on WiFi, streams normally but without 4k when using data? This has only started today, was working fine yesterday, cameras have been installed almost a week. Same issue with all 4 cameras.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For those who were experiencing this issue, please make sure to update to the latest Arlo app version available from the app store and test again. Please let us know if you experience the same behavior.

JamesC

Weerosco
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi James, yes I'm on the latest app and still getting the same issue.
Regards
Robi1970
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi!

Updates:

I have been in contact witch Arlo support regarding this issue. No success in finding solution though.

Arlo Version.2.15_27085 (latest since 10 April 2020)

Deleted prior Arlo installation. turned of phone for 5 minutes before starting phone again and installing latest version of Arlo.

Local 4k-straming ON

Automatic HDR ON

With WiFi on, and connected to the local network the 4k-streaming still shows a black screen but sound avaoilable.

4K logo not longer visible - now 2K logo visible.

When turning WiFi off, then live stream works - not 4K though.

I give up! Not happy !!!

KK86
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same here, on latest version as of 10th April. I deleted the app and started over again, it worked for 1 camera for about 5 minutes but after that all were the same. For now I got a 400gb sd so at least I have 4k recordings...not sure if I should post this somewhere else, but when looking at my 4k recordings I've noticed u can't delete one by one or even delete all, u have to download the recordings you want and then you must format the sd card, any particular reason for this too?
adamfrade
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi James,

The issue still exists after the upgrade.

WPS3
Tutor
Tutor
I updated and it is working properly in 4k for now. I'll try again several times during the day to see if it continues to work properly.
Version 2.15_27085 on Samsung Note 10+, Android 10, One UI 2.1
Robi1970
Aspirant
Aspirant
Some additional information:
Does not work on my Samsung S20 Ultra.
Worked all the time on my wife's Samsung A40
Subpeaksurfer
Tutor
Tutor
I have the same issue. What's interesting is that it is streaming OK on my Samsung Note10 and Black squaring on my wife's Galaxy S9. We both are running this latest update: 2.15_27085 and Android version 10. This is on a BABY CAMERA. we do not have the option to not be able to see this video. It's extremely frustrating that this isn't working. We have 2 Arlo Pros, 2 Arlo Pro 2, and the baby camera. The pro and pro2 cameras all stream perfectly all over the house. The baby camera is closest to the wifi router and yet works like crap. The video occasionally gets this blocky static and breaks up on my phone. On my wife's, it is black screen all the time, with sound. We have almost no 4G at home, only wifi. My Blackhawk router is not the issue. Help would be appreciated.
Dumdidum
Tutor
Tutor
Same issue here.
Samsung Note 10+, newest Android Version of Arlo and Arlo Ultras.

Local 4k live streaming enabled = black screen. Disabled = 1080p working correctly.

Its really a pitty. This has worked before and must be fixed soon.

Seems to be an issue on Samsungs Top Smartphones.
KK86
Aspirant
Aspirant
Its not just Samsung....wife has latest iPhone....same issue on her arlo app
Pizza_Ninja
Initiate
Initiate

Team Arlo Support,

Are you going to fix this issue with your next App Update? I have spent over $1000 AUD on a bunch of useless camera's.

Never buying an Arlo product ever again. Terrible battery, faulty products, crap coverage. You guys need to do something about this!

4K Live Streaming was working fine and now all I get is a black screen for every camera! If changed to HDR Streaming all 3 cameras work fine!

You have to fix this! Look at the comments above from your customers..... This is just bad!

EsotericPhi
Aspirant
Aspirant

So not only did we pay $1000 for 4k video capability, but $15/month and we are unable to get the 4K video to work? >_<