Battery life on one camera poor

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Alpine109
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 4 cameras and the camera on my house which has full signal only lasts about 5 days the other cameras are still at 98% or better. I changed cameras and batteries and same thing. Battery goes dead even when camera is shut off. I moved camera to a different location on house still getting full bars and still no battery life

7 REPLIES 7
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Alpine109,

How much activity is the camera seeing? Does this camera get triggered by motion more than your other cameras?

JamesC

Alpine109
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes one or two more hits a day than the others. The other cameras are at 97% and house battery has been charged twice and it’s at 60%. Also in settings I have animals and other turned off and deer still get recorded.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Alpine109,

If the battery life is significantly worse on this single camera while having similar usage as your other cameras, it could be an issue with the camera. Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Alpine109 wrote:

Yes one or two more hits a day than the others. The other cameras are at 97% and house battery has been charged twice and it’s at 60%. Also in settings I have animals and other turned off and deer still get recorded.

Ok.  So the camera is using SMART notifications and perhaps activity zones?

If so, there might be a lot more camera activity than you realize.  Try deleting the activity zones and turning all the notifications on, and see if you get a significant increase in recordings.

Activity Zones, etc. basically prune the the camera recordings - but the camera still makes them, and that can take a lot of battery.

BTW, another thing that can hurt battery life is lost connections.  If the camera loses contact with the base, then it actively tries to find it - which can use a lot of power too.   Is there any evidence of lost connections?

Alpine109
Aspirant
Aspirant

Camera always has full reception. I also tried a spare camera in same spot with same results. I will try deleting zones and turning on all functions.

Alpine109
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have since moved this camera to a location where the camera I swapped it with never loses its charge. Full signal strength and unarmed it lost 15% of its charge in 8 hrs. I have done reboots updated hardware used different batteries. And even spent anther 100$ on a solar panel only to get 10 days instead of 7 days out of a battery. This camera if faulty and Arlo will not admit it.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Alpine109 wrote:

This camera if faulty and Arlo will not admit it.

Are you saying you have contacted Arlo support?  If so, perhaps provide your case number so the mods can look into it.

@Alpine109 wrote:

Full signal strength and unarmed it lost 15% of its charge in 8 hrs.

Any evidence of it losing its connection with the base?  For instance failure to live stream?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation