Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base Station Local Storage supports up to 256GB? 6 cameras can connect to Base? Able to use offline?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Jerald_B
Tutor
Tutor

Hello all,

I was gifted 6 Arlo Ultra cameras (VMC5040) and 1 Smart Base station (VMB5000B)

I've been reading all over but maybe someone with experience can help clarify things.

I see the base station has a microSD slot and from what I've read it supports only up to 256GB? Correct?

Secondly, can all six cameras connect to the base station? (Haven't tested as I'm awaiting a charger to arrive)

Next, I live in a VERY rural area. 20Mb/s internet. I definitely typed bits not bytes btw...

So honestly cloud storage and streaming is out of the question...

So... My question is... Can you use all six cameras offline?

Obviously you need to set everything up online, but with a free account, (since I really won't be able to use the online features...) can I use all six and will all six automatically record events to the local storage?

Does the local storage overwrite old data automatically as well?

Lastly please tell me they do not continuously record... That's a lot of 4k footage for one 256GB card....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jerald_B wrote:

Lastly please tell me they do not continuously record... That's a lot of 4k footage for one 256GB card....

They do not.

@Jerald_B wrote:
That's a lot of 4k footage for one 256GB card....

a 256 GB card should store 176 hours, given the data rates they use.

Not sure where you saw the 256 GB limit - it's not one I've seen.  I don't know the max size.  I use 128 GB myself.

@Jerald_B wrote:

Yes.

@Jerald_B wrote:

Obviously you need to set everything up online, but with a free account, (since I really won't be able to use the online features...) can I use all six and will all six automatically record events to the local storage?

You will be able to use all 6 with no subscription using direct access to local storage.  https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

There are quite a few limitations though:

• No manual recordings
  • No access from friend accounts
  • No ability to directly access recordings from a PC browser
  • No thumbnails
  • Can be difficult to set up remote access to recordings (which requires either port forwarding or a VPN connection in the phone).

@Jerald_B wrote:

Next, I live in a VERY rural area. 20Mb/s internet. I definitely typed bits not bytes btw...

The uplink speed is the main question, not the downlink.  Arlo says the Ultras need a 3 mb/s uplink (though that is somewhat conservative).  If you have the typical 20 down/3 up service, then you could get a subscription.  You would lose some recordings if multiple cameras triggered at the same time.  You could mitigate this to some degree by setting up the cameras to record at 1080p.  Then you'd need only 1 megabit up for each simultaneous camera stream.

@Jerald_B wrote:

Secondly, can all six cameras connect to the base station? 

Yes.  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jerald_B wrote:

They do not.

@Jerald_B wrote:
That's a lot of 4k footage for one 256GB card....

a 256 GB card should store 176 hours, given the data rates they use.

Not sure where you saw the 256 GB limit - it's not one I've seen.  I don't know the max size.  I use 128 GB myself.

@Jerald_B wrote:

Yes.

@Jerald_B wrote:

You will be able to use all 6 with no subscription using direct access to local storage.  https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

There are quite a few limitations though:

• No manual recordings
  • No access from friend accounts
  • No ability to directly access recordings from a PC browser
  • No thumbnails
  • Can be difficult to set up remote access to recordings (which requires either port forwarding or a VPN connection in the phone).

@Jerald_B wrote:

The uplink speed is the main question, not the downlink.  Arlo says the Ultras need a 3 mb/s uplink (though that is somewhat conservative).  If you have the typical 20 down/3 up service, then you could get a subscription.  You would lose some recordings if multiple cameras triggered at the same time.  You could mitigate this to some degree by setting up the cameras to record at 1080p.  Then you'd need only 1 megabit up for each simultaneous camera stream.

@Jerald_B wrote:

Secondly, can all six cameras connect to the base station? 

Yes.  

Jerald_B
Tutor
Tutor
That is a monster of a reply. Thank you! You answered every question I had.
Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation