Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Jankovichs
Apprentice
Apprentice
Arlo ultra cameras suddenly started recording on every movement like 100 meters Away from cameras, any movement even if its not heat related... couple days it was working fine now it records every single movement no matter how far object from camera is ! In day time it works as normal in night time it records everything no matter the distance
196 REPLIES 196
Danielnz
Guide
Guide
This is beyond a joke. Simple solution restore working firmware version. Why is this not possible? Why does the support guys always say the same thing ie take your whole system down and start from scratch? Why do you not report any issues? Also all systems working which is lies!!!!
FrankRN
Guide
Guide
Because they are working from a script. They likely are providing tech support under contract for many products and several manufacturers. Doesn't matter who you talk to... Or how many times you have called... They always start in the same place. You and I probably know more about the products than they do. That hold they put you on for 5 minutes?? Sounds like this "HEY MAHALIA... THIS GUY HAS A PROBLEM AND THIS STUPID ARLO SCRIPT ISN'T HELPING. ANY IDEAS??
Tech-D
Luminary
Luminary
James

Thanks for your reply. Will look forward to your response when you have a fix.

Rickp703
Tutor
Tutor

Update to Twitter DM to CEO... About 2.5 days have gone past, and I received a response from my DM to @mbmcrae .  He asked for my Hub Serial Number... I responded with a photo & a couple of comments about this mess (polietly), never heard back.  He just forwarded by response to @ask_arlo  Who reached out and asked for contact details to forward to engineering.  Absolutely PATHETIC !!! No remorse, no "we're here to help", nothing - freakin "CRICKETS" after getting my smart hub detail he just pushed me to the bottom of the next pile! 

Everyone - Keep on this guy.  Seek Compensation for this comedy of errors.  Spread the word about this mess.

Rickp703
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for being honest.... Fix the problem, provide updates (regularly and frequently). Let customers know they are important (because we are) Own it, Fix it, apologize, satisfy (compensation is  required) the customer.... Keys to freakin business success.  Don't be stupid, don't insult with Offshore support that works from a script.

Nathan-aus
Apprentice
Apprentice

It's been over a week and still no meaningful update. We need to know when a fix will be implemented.  

Whops
Apprentice
Apprentice

It is clear that Arlo has no clue what they did screw up the firmware and our cameras by the questions that Louis is asking today.   It is also clear that this is their mode of operation,  release software with telling the consumer, and then the consumer becomes the beta tester,  and the feed back is how they try to trouble shoot and fix the problem.  Any reputable company when putting out new software will have beta testers that they use prior to releasing it as a stable problem to avoid problems like this release has made.   And now since they do not know what they did wrong,  they have no clue how to fix their screw up.   And yet they refuse to roll back the firmware to last stable working release.    Instead they are fixated on rolling out new products.  I guess that people only purchase once,  and when they encounter the support issues,  they no longer will buy their products so to stay in business they have to find new suckers.  That they falsely advertise their products to and performance of those products.    Look at their reviews on BBB website,  1.5 stars  and 47 complaints lodged their against the company.   We may never get this issue resolved.   But we all need to stick together,  keep posting on Matthew McRae twitter feed  so this issue becomes more public,  write reviews on any public forum you can.  If they do not come up with a fix in a couple more days I will post some other web sites that you complain on.   It appears that they do not care about their reputation and the only thing that is going to get them to pay attention to us and get our cameras working again.  Is for them to start losing sales.  So it starts hurting their pocket book.   Maybe take a look at the investors and get the message out to them.   I am sure the board or investors will be on their case as this issue becomes more public.

Whops
Apprentice
Apprentice

You notice no mention of off shore support,  I asked the support person in the Philippines to switch me to the USA she claimed there was no agents in the USA,  But yet the company is in the USA,  and their Software engineers are in the USA.   I asked to speak to a Level 2 tech as my case had been elevated to level 2.  She put me on hold for 5 minutes and then said they were not available until Friday.  That was last Wed.   And I have had no contact with them since.   Truth be known,  there is no level 2 techs.  and the ones you get know nothing about the problem most claim there is none.   It is so difficult trying to understand people with heavy accent trying to help you in English a language they can hardly speak.
@Rickp703 wrote:

Thanks for being honest.... Fix the problem, provide updates (regularly and frequently). Let customers know they are important (because we are) Own it, Fix it, apologize, satisfy (compensation is  required) the customer.... Keys to freakin business success.  Don't be stupid, don't insult with Offshore support that works from a script.

Whops
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am in awe at how Arlo can not fix this problem.   I did file a compliant last night on BBB.  They forward it to Arlo.  Arlo responded right away,  that they are aware of the problem, and are working on fixing it.  No mention of a time table, No mention of why they can not go back to the working firmware.   (While it was not perfect, certainly much much better then the upgrade)  I rejected their response, and wrote another letter back asking that question,  why can you not answer the question about rolling back to working firmware.   I also said,  that they should have documented all the changes they made,  so it should not be that difficult to change it back.   II am waiting for their response back to me.  It would appear that Matthew McRae is just passing the buck to his lame software team and not applying any pressure to get this resolved.  I also mentioned in my response that it seemed Arlo was more interested in rolling out new products and dealing with those issues then working with their established base that have purchased cameras.   My compliant and the back and forth should be publicly posted on their compliant website,  just not sure if they wait to post after it has been resolved or in real time.   But as usual Arlo is just blowing us off.    More people need to be making complaints on BBB this will get their attention faster then comments here.   If something does not happen soon will start posting on the ripoff sites.

SAM21
Apprentice
Apprentice
It appeared that Arlo are losing money and the shares of stock had dropped from it initial price offer. Therefore, many of the stockholders had lost money. With all of the problems Arlo is having with these products its appearance they’re in no hurry to resolve these issues. It is my opinion based on the current stock price and low revenue some of their best engineers had already jumped ship. It’s also my opinion that Arlo will not be in business long. Leaving us holding these broken camera.
surfer1000
Luminary
Luminary
Caught up on feed and DMs, acknowledge some Ultra users having issues - was able to synch internally, teams are working on it and have been. Not widespread and difficult to reproduce. For anyone experiencing an issue, DM me your hub serial number and team will look at it today.
surfer1000
Luminary
Luminary
That's from CEO'S twitter
FrankRN
Guide
Guide
Who are we supposed to DM? And where?

I manage the Emergency Department at a large teaching hospital. I'm going to recommend that we save time and money by having patients DM us instead of wasting our time by showing up at the door. Or, even better, just tell them that their shortness of breath is not a widespread problem and difficult to diagnose. But we'll get back to you when we figure it out.

Why can you run your business like this, then show up at my business and demand better service than you are willing to provide?
Rickp703
Tutor
Tutor

Great comment !!

Rickp703
Tutor
Tutor

So I have a call with a Level 3 tech from Oregon in 90 minutes.... He was remarked to call me from my DM hits on twitter to Pres...  2 - 1/2 days since original comment to Pres, and he has yet to address me directly.

We'll see if they can resolve all concerns.... More to come later tonight.

surfer1000
Luminary
Luminary
You Twitter the CEO! Take a look at Matthew McRae (@mbmcrae): https://twitter.com/mbmcrae?s=09
FrankRN
Guide
Guide
Got it! Appreciated 👍
JamSam
Apprentice
Apprentice
Unreal. Having this same issue. Should have looked here before moving cameras, rebooting, etc... From someone who bought these almost a year ago, the firmware missteps are getting old.
Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
Whelp - after wondering why I’ve been getting 300 notifications a day recently of course I stumble upon this thread to find another widespread issue with firmware that Arlo F***ed up.....

This is how it’s gone since I first bought Pro 2’s in April that are garbage - literally cannot record properly while one AC power (check out the pro 2 forum - there’s a 4000+ view thread on that issue that’s been going on for 6 months).....

Then I get the Ultras - and there’s been issues on and off ever since getting these cameras. And now the best of all: Arlo arbitrarily decides to completely change the mechanism by which the cameras detect motion???

Is this F***ing seriously happening??? That is a game change guys - and completely negates why I bought these cameras.... they were fine with PIR!!!! Why the heck would you change that????

No one in their right F***ing mind would make that change and think that there wouldn’t be 1,000 issues on the users end????

I once recently thought Arlo May have turned a corner and had these major issues ironed out for the most part....

They fix one and create 10 others in the process and have no interest in taking care of their customers - only those signing their paychecks and buying new products.....

I for one don’t care if they fail anymore. The moment they do this garbage gets burned in a dumpster fire - and I move on with life and another brand. The money is a sunk cost to me at this point.

The only people I feel quasi-bad for are the forum reps here who actually try to help us - but their hands are tied and they are buried beneath 1,000 layers of Arlo Sh** and have no real power other than to tow the company line and say “we are aware and a fix is coming” for a years time....

@JamesC no offense man - like I said you guys are trying to help. You need to let the corporate staff know a holy crapstorm is coming and won’t stop.

The gloves are off and I’m posting negative comments on every single avenue I can - my intention is to bury these F***ers. I won’t stop until the knife is in deep, and expect a half twist Arlo! Worst tech company in the history of business.
Rickp703
Tutor
Tutor

Just got a call from Level 3 Tech named Mark in Oregon....  He has a "distinct pleasure" of dealing with all of us Pi**ed off people.  

He shared with me that the most recent firmware added a package to further augment "Motion Analytics" in the Activity Zones, and the package should NOT have been included with the update.  

He had indicated that they are working on a Beta Firmware release in (hopefully) the next 48 hours (Tuesday ish / Wednesday) to remove the package & get things sorted out.

He has been speaking with many people today, all with these problems we all have...  He could not provide detail on why the heck they don't roll back the firmware and was very apologetic. Not alot of insight other than it's being worked on non-stop to get this fixed.  We'll see!

(3) take away(s) from the call

1. They are aware of the significant screw-up (doesn't make it right, but we certainly have their attention).
  2.  A (possible) solution may be forth coming (soon).
  3. My loud voice on Twitter to CEO (while not direct) has received partial results... ie: Placing me in contact with Level 3 tech without all the BS of frustrating repeated calls.  I would highly encourage each one of you to Tweet the CEO via DM

I am still peaved off, and the problem is not resolved - however fair & honest communication with reasonable timeframes would certainly help this situation, and I feel I (finally) received that tonight.

Danielnz
Guide
Guide

O well.  At least that is some positive news for now.  It would be so much easier if someone from Arlo could come on this thread and update everyone in one hit.  

Nathan-aus
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Rickp703 Thanks for sharing your update. Do you have any idea if the Beta firmware release will be for everyone or only a selected group? 

You are absolutely right - open and frequent communication is what's needed. 

Chrisk2
Apprentice
Apprentice

Good to hear someone heard from support other than level 1.

i have had my ticket open for over a week, I went through and followed support and reset the hub and had to all all the cameras back.

I tweeted the CEO, provided some information on support ticket and problems and did not hear back at all.

J-Boy20
Guide
Guide
@Rickp073

I also spoke to a guy name Mark on a conference call with a few other people. I was also told the same information as you. I kept asking about why they couldn’t roll back to a firmware that was working before, all they could tell me was the firmware update was to be compatible with the new products. They also said latest firmware was to fix the bugs, change the analytics motion detections/ pixel and something with a different payments.

I also asked about an ETA on when we can expect a fix or firmware release. They told me they exactly what you said, they are hoping for some type of approval tomorrow (Monday) or Tuesday at the latest and give the beta to certain people than full production. So i believe they said hopefully within a week. I was also offered to help test the new beta firmware once they get that going so hopefully it works out.

They were very apologetic about this whole situation, it’s funny how i had to write a post on Facebook In order for them to contact me. Told them I would like to speak to a higher level tier other than level 1 or else I would hang up the phone and file a report with BBB. I guess Mark was level 3 so I guess we got the ball rolling.

Whops
Apprentice
Apprentice

I would send him S/N  however,  I am not convinced it would do any good.   But I can't get logged into Twitter.   set it up just to send him Tweets.   But for some reason I can't get logged in now. 

But to me they are pushing the same SH*T  that they have been since this problem happened.  At some point people are going to organize a class action law suit in order to recoup their losses.