Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo legacy iOS app???

Discussion stats
mikejd1
Star
Star
So I just got an update for the Arlo app on the App Store today and it said the app will no
Longer work at the end of September and to download the new Arlo app. The problem is THERE IS NO NEW ARLO APP on the App Store. What the heck is going on with this Arlo team? You’d think before pushing an update like that the app would actually be ready in the App Store!!!
74 REPLIES 74
carvett6
Aspirant
Aspirant

Today, I downloaded the new app version for arlo. I want to echo all the comments regarding the frustration and lack of answers in trying to get my cameras to work.  I have 2 systems in 2 locations, {3 cameras and 2 cameras}. I have had relatively minor problems over the last 2 years. But now, since downloading  the new app, nothing works as it did before. I spent 3 hours going through all the suggestions and I ended up with occasionally a camera works for short period, then, detects motion, and sends alert but then will not show in library. Library shows videos of 2 days prior. At times, the alert would work but not record, other times no alert but recorded movement, on one camera, alerts sent  and recorded every 2 minutes,  at times all cameras or even one camera off line (now how does that happen?), at times picture frozen from previous day, etc.. It seems each time I rebooted, cleared cache, disconnected everything, re synced every thing, the above problems would just rotate happening. I have not downloaded app in other system and am afarid to do so. But I would really like to get this system to work. I do not have hours to spend trying to work out the bugs in this app, as evident by all the other folk's comments. Appreciate help. Thank you

Retired_Member
Not applicable
Arlo, you just continue to show your customers that you are only after money!
What happens with your existing subscription that is supposed to continue past September 2019??
I think it’s definitely time to get rid of these useless devices and install real security cameras!
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@carvett6 wrote:

But I would really like to get this system to work. I do not have hours to spend trying to work out the bugs in this app, as evident by all the other folk's comments. Appreciate help. Thank you

Do you still have the legacy app installed?  If not, try reinstalling it, and see if that works better for you.

Then if there are cases where the new app fails and the legacy one works, you can report them.  Or alternatively, stick with the legacy app for 2-3 weeks and switch over later in September.

coyotealarm
Apprentice
Apprentice

And for Apple? When will that app be available?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

coyotealarm,

The iOS app is available here: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/arlo/id1459289784

Be sure to uninstall the old legacy app after installing the new app.

JamesC

coyotealarm
Apprentice
Apprentice

Nice, but it's not in the app store for apple.  Next?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@coyotealarm wrote:

Nice, but it's not in the app store for apple.  Next?

Came up right away for me.  Where are you located?

DLH108
Aspirant
Aspirant

I run ARLO app  on my Microsoft OS to view my cameras.   Is this going to be eliminated with the request to D/L new IOS apps to my Iphone ?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DLH108 wrote:

I run ARLO app  on my Microsoft OS to view my cameras.  

As far as I know there is no such thing.  Do you mean you are using the web client (my.arlo.com or perhaps the older URL arlo.netgear.com).

If so, that still works - though you should use my.arlo.com and stop using the netgear URL.

ronbok
Tutor
Tutor

I agree that the Product Management Group has some serious issue here.  #1  Just changing the name of the App isn't acceptable without notifying people of the coming change, the changes in the applicaiton and why on earth they're doing it.

Seriously flawed group who care little about their customers.

That aside the new appllication apparenlty has issues and is getting very low iOS store scores.  It's bad enough the original applicaiton took forever to login, but now they'll force you to use something totally inferior to even the old one.

My #1 complaint is that by the time I get a notification, start the application, sign-in (no need for this) the activity has already happened.  It's FAR TOO SLOW.  When an alert goes off, I want to see the activing in less than 1-3 seconds and if I can't then the tool is nearly useless.

This is EXACTLY what you do to entice customers to abandon your products.  Nice work.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ronbok wrote:

Just changing the name of the App isn't acceptable without notifying people of the coming change, the changes in the applicaiton and why on earth they're doing it.

They announced it here.  I also received an email from them on 5 September (Action Required: Download the new Arlo app before September 30, 2019).  Both the email and the announcement said what they were changing and why they were doing it.

Why are we requiring this change?

Since Arlo is now a separate company from NETGEAR, we're required to migrate to our own developer account on the App Store and Google Play, which requires all users to download the Arlo app from our new account.

What is changing?

• If you have set up Geofencing, you will be asked to re-enable your mobile device(s) in the new app to automatically trigger Home and Away modes based on location. After updating to the new app, your old Arlo Legacy app will no longer trigger location-based mode changes.
  • If you are an Arlo Smart subscriber, you will need to enter your Call a Friend information again.
  • The new Arlo app will receive the latest bug fixes and features, including two-step verification which adds an extra layer of protection to your Arlo account to prevent against unauthorized access.

What is the minimum operating system needed for the new app?

Any phone or tablet with iOS 10.3 or Android 4.1 or higher.

For the best experience, we recommend devices with operating systems that are actively supported by Arlo: iOS 11 (or higher) and Android 5.0 (or higher). tvOS is not currently supported.

What if I don’t download the new Arlo app by September 30, 2019?

After September 30, 2019, you will no longer be able to access your account on the old Arlo Legacy app. To ensure a smooth transition, we encourage you to download the new Arlo app now. Once downloaded, just use your same Arlo login and password to access your Arlo devices. We then recommend deleting the old Arlo app from your devices.

Questions? Visit our FAQ page.

There certainly are some bugs that need to be sorted out.  But you are off-base on the lack of communication complaint.  Maybe check your email spam filter.

56WC
Aspirant
Aspirant
Even before I downloaded the new app, I got intermittent, at best, signals from some of my cameras. Now that I downloaded it, I’m getting rare signals from all cameras!

Is this going to be correctable, or is it time to move to a new system?
unlimitedsounds
Luminary
Luminary
I guess I'm different as I'm on iOS 12.4 WTH the new app with the Arlo pro cameras and have zero issues....
Raindancegal
Guide
Guide
Since I updated my Arlo app today, my 5 security cameras are basically worthless. I’ve checked every camera...3 cams will notify of motion but there is nothing recorded. 2 cams will not notify detected motion OR stream live any longer! How can this be so screwed up from an update (from Arlo Legacy app that worked fine yesterday to nothing working properly today)
These cameras are basically worthless now. FIX THIS PLEASE!
unlimitedsounds
Luminary
Luminary
I don't think the phone app has anything to do with hot the cameras record. You could just basically use the web site and not even install the app....
Raindancegal
Guide
Guide
It has everything to do with the drastic change in how my Arlo cameras performed after updating from Arlo Legacy. Like I said, it worked perfect yesterday before the update and now today the cameras don’t record and there’s no live feed on the camera. Again what’s the point of having security cameras that don’t capture any recording or allow you to view live feed. This change happened after the Arlo update
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Raindancegal wrote:
 now today the cameras don’t record 

Live feed of course does involve the app, but recordings certainly don't.  They're made even if your phone is turned off.

So at least some of your issues aren't related to the app.  Have you tried restarting the base?

Raindancegal
Guide
Guide
I’ve booted the server, the batteries are good. I’m telling you BEFORE I updated to new update, my cameras recorded as I have them set to, and I could view every camera live stream if needed. Now None of 5 cameras record motion and I cannot view live stream on my IPhone OR Windows 10 laptop through Chrome or Firefox. None of this was a problem before this latest update from Arlo Legacy. I need resolution!
Raindancegal
Guide
Guide
The website is suddenly useless too. But your answer is not acceptable. It’s unrealistic to website for anything when Arlo developers made an Arlo app for user convenience
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Raindancegal wrote:
But your answer is not acceptable. 

I don't work for Arlo. 

My answer was intended to aid in troubleshooting - it wasn't intended to be a long range solution.  It would give you more information so you'd have a better idea of what the problem was, which could help both here and with support.

The web client is working for me - though the steps needed to enable flash seem to have changed.  We can talk about that if you like.  But if you just want to vent, then that's ok with me too.  I get that you are frustrated.

Raindancegal
Guide
Guide
I do understand you are trying to help and I appreciate your efforts. You are correct-I am venting. I’m frustrated. But not with you. I’m truly hoping an Arlo rep is reading all these complaints from many users in hopes they will take swift action with resolutions.
Raindancegal
Guide
Guide
Maybe you can help me with another question, StephenB.
Up until just recently, I could log on laptop to view cameras while still being logged in on my IPhone. Now, like I said recently, when I’m logged in to Arlo on my phone and try to log into my laptop it logs me off immediately because I’m signed into another device (my phone). Any suggestions?
CGRET
Aspirant
Aspirant
If the new app is not showing on the Apple App Store log into your myArlo account and you will be directed to download the new version from the App Store — so for some reason you don’t see the new app when you go to the App Store directly.
Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
@Raindancegal do you have Ultra Cameras, Pro 2’s, or both?

I’ve noticed these same issues on my Ultras and Pro 2’s since downloading the app. Stephen is right that theoretically the app should not hinder the camera functionality - but I too noticed this upon using the new app and was not having these issue before....

Now with the new app - same thing as you - recordings not showing up in the cloud when I SAW the camera was recording and IR LEDs were on at night.

@JamesC another instance of what I’ve been indicating over a few different threads of a new issue. Perhaps with the new app implementation but not certain!
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Raindancegal wrote:
Maybe you can help me with another question, StephenB.
Up until just recently, I could log on laptop to view cameras while still being logged in on my IPhone. Now, like I said recently, when I’m logged in to Arlo on my phone and try to log into my laptop it logs me off immediately because I’m signed into another device (my phone). Any suggestions?

That's never worked for me - I've always been logged out when I switch to a different device.  Though recently the web client will log you out more aggressively (for instance when you refresh the page, which is very annoying).

Personally I'd much rather they allow multiple logons.  If nothing else, it makes troubleshooting easier.  There is a work-around though.  You can set up a more than one free Arlo accounts, and "Grant access" to them.  Then you can use the secondary accounts on some of your devices.  There are some functions that only work with the master account, but in general you don't need them.

One recent annoyance though - the app won't let you delete multiple videos from a secondary account.  Hopefully they will fix that regression.