Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Ultra - watch video outside home

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
margiel84
Aspirant
Aspirant

I want to buy Arlo Ultra with base station VMS5140.

I dont want to buy any subscriptions.

My question is:

is it possible to watch my home from work using Arlo Mobile Application without paying subscriptions ?

What is the video quality ?

My second question:

If I will be at home, there will be no internet at home, is it possible to see video being in the same network with base station and arlo camera ?

Now I use my Arlo Baby cam and it works with any subscriptions

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

1) Local recordings can be viewed remotely IF you set up port forwarding or a VPN on your router. There are FAQs on how to do this in the support section here. Video quality is the same. Live view also works remotely with no need for the port forwarding or VPN.

2) This is confusing. Arlo is cloud-based so requires Internet access. If there's no home Internet access, you can't even set up an Arlo system, much less manipulate it or view videos. Without Internet access, question 1 is moot.

margiel84
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks a lot.
Now I use VPN to access to my NAS system - so this is not a problem.
Very strange solution they prepare, sometimes it happend that I do not have internet at home or visiting family with kids and there is only internet from sim card ...
Do you have any alternatives?
I have reolink c2 pro but the quality of video is very poor then arlo baby cam - but my arlo baby breaks down...
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@margiel84 wrote:
Thanks a lot.
Now I use VPN to access to my NAS system - so this is not a problem.
Very strange solution they prepare, sometimes it happend that I do not have internet at home or visiting family with kids and there is only internet from sim card ...
Do you have any alternatives?
I have reolink c2 pro but the quality of video is very poor then arlo baby cam - but my arlo baby breaks down...

Just to be really clear on this:  The Arlo system itself is built on a cloud service and requires internet connectivity.  So you need internet wherever the camera and base station is deployed.

If that isn't available where you want to put the cameras, then you'll need to find another solution.

But of course you can access the cameras using your mobile phone, as long as the cameras can reach the internet.  And there is one camera (the Arlo Go) that can connect to the internet using its own mobile data plan (and has it's own SIM card).

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation