Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
Fk99
Aspirant
Aspirant

Buyer beware.  I have now logged numerous hours with Arlo customer service trying to resolve this issue.  It began when we purchased the Arlo ultra camera pack from costo, which advertises that it comes with a 1 year subscription service.  For me and countless others, the free service will not activate, which in turn, leads one to this forum or a call to the Arlo customer service.  Arlo customer service seems to be clueless about the issue over the phone, however, acknowledges that the issues in common in the forum.  Either way, there is not a solution that I have found.  Customer service convinced me that I should sign up of the service, pay the monthly fee and that they would reimburse me each month.  I took the option, not wanting to spend anymore time on this and at the same time, knowing I was about to be whipsawed from department to department in infinitum trying to solve what has occurred.  They charge me monthly, I call monthly, they say they will credit and fix the issue and close the case.  No credits, no fixes...case closed.  I am so frustrated at this point I don't think the camera were worth the time and effort.  I really tried too.  I'm patient and diligent.  I am a father and a business owner.  I say this because I want people to know that I'm not just flying by the seat of my pants; this is a real problem and a waste of honest, hard working peoples time.  I just spent my fourth stint of time with customer service, 29 minutes this time, while in my office trying to work at the same time.  I've been promised a call back later today and I also just received an email with a new case number.  The investment of time continues, with no promise of a solution.  $49.95 has been charged to my card for the free service so far.  You need to provide a credit card when you create an account, even if its suppose to be free.  Buy a camera with a wire in it and hook it to recording hub, I really wish I did.  While I like the cameras and ease of installation and some of the automation features, but this experience has soured me to the product and I would rather have spent all that time with my children, rather than on customer service with a marginal organization.

12 REPLIES 12
Drahc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sharing my story. I purchased the two camera ultra set. Got it home, set it up, and the app did activate my 1 yr, but it activated the OLD service of 10 cameras and max resolution of 1080p not the current 5 cameras and 2k. Opened a ticket and support was not helpful. Every screen capture, information, document I sent them they ignored, and they would send back scripted responses and kb article links to remove and re-add and toggle this and that setting.

Return window was 14 days and I have initiated a return. As a long time Arlo original user, I really wanted this to work out. Unfortunately with the purchase price point and issues with the complimentary year, as well as some other issues including motion triggering, the 5G connectivity from inside to outside the home, etc, this unit does not deliver.

Camrolltide
Aspirant
Aspirant
May 13th just set up arlo ultra and smart hub purchased from Aro website. No way to activate 1 year free trial. James please advise or i will be returning the $400 camera tomorrow due to false advertising.
etank
Initiate
Initiate

Bought new Ultra camera pack from BestBuy, which clearly says in the description (and on the physical box) that it includes a 1 year plan. I tried to activate the plan, but asked for a 16-digit code, which I can't find anywhere. 

Have gone back and forth 6-7 times with support without luck. First, they tried to suggest that maybe I had previously activated the cameras, or bought them in a different country, or otherwise was up to something nefarious.  Then they told me to just reset everything, unlinking base from my account and redoing whole set up, linking cameras again/etc. (huge pain, as involves me taking down the cameras from around my house and bringing them all inside, reseting one by one) I've done that once - didn't solve the problem.  They say there isn't a code - despite other posts online suggesting that there is - they just keep telling me to reset and it should magically work. Nothing in the app itself or on the instructions of the box suggest that free subscription magically activates.  In fact, nothing inside the box alludes to free subscription at all - it's only on the outside of the box.

Anyone gotten through this recently? Seems like they're just trying to make it difficult to get the free plan, in the hope that you'll give up and subscribe.  Some posts suggests that the next ploy they'll try is to have me subscribe and pay for a plan with the promise that they'll later credit me back each month. 

What's the best way to resolve? (eg, what support channel should I use, and how should I state what specifically I need to avoid just continuing to get stock response to reset everything?)

dcfox1
Master
Master

I set up my Arlo Pro 3 back in late March  and it went into the pro 3's free 3 month trial on its own. I didn't need a code.  The ultra's one year but not sure that makes a difference I havent seen post about a code for that. I got mine through amazon not through Arlo  and never received any code. Not sure if bestbuy is different.

Fk99
Aspirant
Aspirant

Update: Month 6 into trying to resolve my one-year free subscription service, that I've been charged for each month.  You see, I was supposed to receive a credit, that's what they say.  I guess the first two case numbers weren't authoritative enough to enforce the mode they negotiated me into, whipsawed into some sort of creative back-office agreement, after they withered and wore me down in a tiring tango of untried theoretical solutions, they knew I would agree to anything.  Under the entitlements of yet a third case number, at the response to my most recent phone call, I've been asked to upload the receipts.  Yes, the very receipts they sent me in the first place...and get this, you can't just forward the emailed receipts back to them...wait for it...you have to print them into a pdf and convert them to a jpeg and upload it to their system.  I think this experience make dealing with any camera issues all the worse.  The Arlo Ultra camera is average at best.  Solar panels, mounts, it's all marginal.  The ability of customer service to resolve a pretty straight forward issue is among the worst I've experienced and very disappointing.    

larryg21
Initiate
Initiate

Having the same problem as many others.  Purchased 5 Ultra camera package from Costco.  My new account says my 1 year Smart Premier subscription is active, but I am unable to add any of my cameras to the plan. The online subscription says to "drag" the camera you want to add into the indicated box, but there is no way to drag anything.

I now see many other Arlo owners with the same issue.

Has anyone been able to resolve this?

crusatrealty
Aspirant
Aspirant

2 issues
1- broken camera
2- subscription is supposed to be free for one year.
ordered camera system from costco.com and one camera was bad. called regarding the camera and was told that they would send a replacement camera.
replacement camera was never received.

case numbers
1729801 live chat with support. no assistnace
1714917 follow up on replacement camera related case number 41680840 06/04/2020
1680840 camera doesn't live stream 05/20/2020
1714849 unable to get 1 year smart premier for 1 year 06/04/2020
1714603 misrouted 1 year free trial is not activated / RMA status 06/03/2020
RMA 7138857 Alro Gen5 Ultra Wire Free Camera (VMC5040)
Serial Number 5GG3977LA394

I've received absolutely no support regarding these cases.
We have purchased several arlo products and we are highly thinking that we should return each product due to the lack of support. We also purchased additional cameras PRO 3 add model VMC4040P that is supposed to come with the free trial and we wil not be installing as we have not received assistance. Should we just return the product at COSTCO for a full refund of two arlo pro ultras, two battery charging stations and two additional camera and then file a complaint with the consumer protections federal trade commission and better business bureau?
please advise ASAP.

I've spent countless hours on hold numerous times to rectify this situation.
this is by far the worst service we have received.
You may have a good product but without the support it's just a product that many competitors provide.

AshleighRyma
Aspirant
Aspirant
How do I activate this smart code im paying monthly and I just purchased this camera
Sanj3
Aspirant
Aspirant
This had to me what did u end u doing
crusatrealty
Aspirant
Aspirant

their support is 

better off purchasing a new system.  

I purchased mine from Costco, so  I will be returning. 

Till this day I still have not be able to get a subscription.  

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @crusatrealty

Which subscription are you trying to purchase or activate? 

May I ask which troubleshooting steps you have performed so far? I don't want to suggest any prior methods you have previously performed.

SN5526
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same problem, no 1 yr free activation; purchased from Amazon & filled by Best Buy. So, sent msg to support & received a case number. After a couple of days with no response from support, I sent another msg and received a New case number. I did this over & over & they finally sent me a msg to stop getting a new case number. I did talk to 2 “techs”; 1st said he did not know how to fix it & the 2nd after calling me, she indicated she was busy & had to leave the conversation. I guess the rooster crowing in the background need attention.
In the meantime, I did a “1 star” product review of Arlo Ultra on Amazon for providing products w/out the product having good support. I also called Best Buy & they said just drop it off & they will look at it. So added Best Buy as the “filler” on Amazon. I asked for info on how to return the kit.
After 2-3 weeks of new case numbers & 2 calls where they had no idea how to fix it, I received a call from Mr. Schwin…it took him about 5 minutes to fix the 1yr free activation.
I say that the Arlo Ultra is good hardware, substandard software, and the worst product support of an purchase I have ever made. Maybe you can get Mr. Schwin to take over….
Now I’ll try Apple HomeKit & see if I can get it working.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation