Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
efrost01
Follower
Follower

The siren bulit in the Arlo Ultra camera does to seem be loud enougn to warn off anyone around and another base station has a better siren bulit in the base station

57 REPLIES 57
Cwmmmm
Luminary
Luminary
I couldn’t agree more, the siren in the camera is pretty low and would probably make anyone not even bat an eye.
Cwmmmm
Luminary
Luminary
Can anyone from arlo update on this please???
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

While not as loud as the Arlo Pro base station siren, the Ultra Siren should certainly be noticeable for anyone within detection range of the camera. How far away from the camera are you when you're testing?

JamesC

Cwmmmm
Luminary
Luminary
For me about 10-20 feet away, not to compare but ring spotlight has a louder siren, it would be awesome if some way the siren could use the whole speaker because it’s not living up to the hype. Honestly with the sound coming out of the ultra for the siren, you might as well push out an update for the pro and pro 2 to have the same siren it would probably sound the same.
Barnstabub
Initiate
Initiate

Hello,

My first post.

Am I missing something or is the "siren" on the ultra camera so quiet that it wouldn't wake a sleeping baby, even if it was right next to his/her ear.

I breath louder than that "siren", hopefully I have missed something - if not - refund please and going to buy Pro2.

thank you

B

Cwmmmm
Luminary
Luminary
I noticed the same thing I’m pretty sure my iPhone xs speakers are louder than the speaker on the camera
brh
Master
Master

The volume level on the Ultra siren sucks!

Brian

Ronnie4946
Guide
Guide

I have the Pro and added the ultra base and camera for my front door thinking that the siren feature would be good to have outside on the main door. This was really the only reason I purchased the ultra as I already had the pro at that location. When I set the alarm off, I can hear the inside siren, but barely hear the ultra siren in the camera standing right in front of it. Very dissapointed because it was pretty expensive to upgrade from a pro camera to ultra because you need the base as well. 

JDM6
Star
Star
Just bought 4 pack of the relaunched Arlo Ultra, which has a bunch of great "features". However the volume for the camera is pathetic I can barely hear anything using the two way talk feature, and the person I'm trying to talk to can't hear me either. This frustrating because apparently upon further investigation this has been an known issue since approximately 2015 on the earlier camera versions. Arlo please address this very important issue I would love to keep this system but it is currently unusable. Also the Ultra has built in siren for added security, unfortunately the volume of this alarm is in no way alarming making this security feature a moot point. *Also the old Arlo smartHub had a built in siren and the new one doesn't could you consider adding this back? Off topic but important: In a four pack of rechargeable camera's why only 1 charger? And I don't see an option to buy additional on your site.
DamianR
Apprentice
Apprentice
One option is to create a rule that , motion on Csmera 1 triggers recording on 1 plus alarms on 1,2,3&4. Then similar for camera 2 etc. I have found this quite useful. Sound from all 4 sides of the house is a good deterrent. If you have an old Gen4 base activate that siren too !
JDM6
Star
Star

I am right in front of the camera.

JDM6
Star
Star

Is volume not an issue with the Pro 2? I would also downgrade if that is the case. 

Does the 2 way talk work. I am using iPhone.

Barntsabub
Aspirant
Aspirant

Mate, I have packed my Ultra up and bought the Pro2... siren is brilliant on the Pro-2, just be aware that the siren is on the base unit not the camera. 

Havn't tried two talking yet, i'll report back.

agsurf55
Star
Star

Siren is not loud at all. Barely noticeable. If a stereo is playing noone would notice it.

I already posted this a while ago. Please solve it.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since it's indoors, consider a Pro base which has a big speaker and is powered.

agsurf55
Star
Star

Why?

1. Some of the cameras are outdoor.

2. I bought the Ultra over 2 months ago.

3. Siren is advertised as "extremely loud".

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Well, I agree that "extremely loud" is a bit of an over-statement however a quick perusal of the Ultra docs here doesn't show me anything that says that. It simply mentions a siren, not a loudness.

agsurf55
Star
Star
When you set up a rule and you decide the volume of the alarm: “extremely loud”. See attached.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just a SDWAG but I'd guess that's an artifact of using the same code as for the Pro base siren. Agreed it's misleading.

chrisngrod
Apprentice
Apprentice

My dog is deaf and we used to use the siren to get her off the couch.  That was with the Pro 2.

The Ultra one sounds more like an annoying buzzing.  I thought it was broke but looks like everyone else has the same feedback.

jackvUK
Tutor
Tutor

Completely Agree! This was the WORST mistake for Arlo to make. The previous base station had the 100db alarm built in - so why remove it on the smart hub. The camera siren is so quiet when you house is next to a road with constant traffic flow.

WHY DID YOU REMOVE THE ALARM FROM THE BASE STATION ARLO?

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@jackvUK wrote:

WHY DID YOU REMOVE THE ALARM FROM THE BASE STATION ARLO?

So that Arlo can sell you a standalone alarm?

And maybe so that every camera can deter intruders, even when it is a long way from the hub.

I assume that people who complain about the volume have tweaked the volume level. Mine is loud enough to upset my wife and it is on the lowest level.

If you can set each camera to trigger the alarms on all of your cameras that could be seriously spooky.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
DamianR
Apprentice
Apprentice
I agree with Michael, my sirens are quite loud, especially in concert.
And yes, I am sure an additional siren helps, but if I was sneaking in somewhere and multiple alarms go off, time to go !
I do wonder if those that have an issue with volume might have a hardware problem?
agsurf55
Star
Star

I bought a 4 camera kit.

All of them are barely audible. I assume a hardware issue should affect only some, or I might be extremely unlucky...