Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Ultra recording locally, with motion detection, without subscription

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
mk123
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

I have VMB4540 Hub + 3 Arlo PRO 3 cameras (with a trial subscription).

Recently I purchased additional Arlo Ultra camera. This one does not have a trial subscription.

I wanted to record locally with the Arlo Ultra camera however this seems not to work. There is no button to record video in the streaming view and the motion detection is not triggered.

The local storage works fine because the other 3 cameras record videos there successfully and I can access them via app on my phone (when I'm connected to the local network).

Is there anything special I would need to do in order to enable the Arlo Ultra camera to record the motion triggered videos on the local storage even though I have no subscription for it yet?

From the posts on this forum I understood that it would be possible to do it.

Regards

7 REPLIES 7
dcfox1
Master
Master

The Ultra should have a trial subscription or did it run out? Do your other cams have a sub or do you view them locally? (They wont have thumbnails in library just a download emblem) If your other cams are on a trial you are probably seeing cloud recordings instead of local Hub recordings. There is no manual recording or cloud recordings W/O a sub.

What options will I have when my Arlo trial ends?

mk123
Aspirant
Aspirant

The Ultra didn't have a trial. Anyway regardless of that I should be able to trigger recording with it and store locally I believe. What worries me is that ultra does is not getting triggered by the motion at all.

The other cams have a trial sub and I can view them in the cloud an locally (yes there are no thumbnails when I view locally). 

dcfox1
Master
Master

@mk123 wrote:

The Ultra didn't have a trial. Anyway regardless of that I should be able to trigger recording with it and store locally I believe. What worries me is that ultra does is not getting triggered by the motion at all.

The other cams have a trial sub and I can view them in the cloud an locally (yes there are no thumbnails when I view locally). 

Must have been used if no initial trial as it does come with one new. Is you rules to record and notifications  the same as the Pro'3 cams. Have you set up local hub recordings.

What is Direct Storage Access and how do I use it? (arlo.com)

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If set to use any resolution above 1080p you can't manually record. Limiting, I know, but that's the likely issue.

mk123
Aspirant
Aspirant

OK. But how then do you set the resolution to 1080p? I was not able to find such an option.

dcfox1
Master
Master

I believe @jguerdat was talking about turning off 4K Live steaming. On my Pro3's I have 2K live steaming enabled and I can Manual recording but the recording is not 2K. I do have a sub and you need that for Manual recording since you do not on Ultra.  But that doesn't address Local Recordings. Are the settings the same on the Ultra in the rules the same as the Pro3's for Motion recordings and Notifications.

mk123
Aspirant
Aspirant

@dcfox1 good hint! I checked the rules for Ultra cam and for some reason the "If motion detected" was set to "Do nothing" (even though I'm pretty sure I was configuring that). 

Also - below it says "Video clips or snapshots will be stored in the USB device." so it should be working now.

I'll test when I'm back home.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation