Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
GeoKlyr
Tutor
Tutor

The delay between detecting motion and recording is pretty horrid.

Had a washing machine delivered and installed,

video didn't start recording until ~10 secs of the delivery guy walking around my dining room looking for the basement entrance.

Further, the clips stop recording after 15 seconds, even if motion is still occurring.

The clip cut off before the delivery guy walked down the basement stairs.

I have both cameras set to record until motion stops (up to 300 secs).

This makes these things worthless.

I understand the limitations of the product.

Internet is 330 Mbps down/23 Mbps up.

Camera one is ~6 ft from smart hub, camera two is ~10 ft from smart hub.

Going to see if recording to SD card alleviates recording lag.

The cloud integration makes me doubt the SD card will fix the issue.

Glad I bought it at Best Buy, because this thing is probably getting returned.

Anybody have better experience with local recording to SD?

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The SD card records what's sent to the cloud. No difference.

Have you read the FAQs here on camera positioning, sensitivity and recording times? All these are in your modes and rules.

Zachattack
Star
Star
I’m in the same boat as you: on the fence about returning for a series of issues. One being that after motion is detected, the library takes a significant amount of time to show me the clip. For me it’s usually 3-5 minutes after the recording took place. Force quit, started up the app again, I’ve tried all I can to get the thing to refresh. Just seems like a bug in the app...
GeoKlyr
Tutor
Tutor

Have I read the FAQs? Yah I read the FAQS

It doesn't say anything in there about the recording delay that Arlo will not acknowledge but is a standard "feature" on all their products.

The only thing I have found that reduces the delay is plugging the camera into an outlet.

This defeats the purpose of "wireless" cameras.

The only thing Arlo has going for them is that all the other "wireless" camera manufacturers have the same recording delay "feature."

It's false advertising. Really wish we could go back to times where people could be put in town-square blockades and have watermelons cracked over their heads. That's what needs to happen to the mongrels that push these so-called "home security" products to market.

Here's to hoping that Arlo and all the other companies "literally" go down in flames.

True scam artists the lot of you.

Jramadan
Star
Star
They need to ditch the cloud! Does anyone actually pay for service?! I’m debating returning my 4 cam setup. Shame because had these worked well I was planing on a 14 camera setup for my property. The lag on some of my cameras is more than 15 seconds. The range of the base is terrible!!! I have it mounted high above level of all cameras and still spotty range. The cameras should have been made to connect directly to WiFi. No hub. The recorded events are usually to late to even catch the person walking in view. By time cameras record the subject being recorded is gone from camera view or almost out of view. Where is the communication from arlo?! To address these complaints?! Are you working on firmware updates to address these issues?! I would love to know your position before I pack these cameras up and return to amazon!!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Late motion detection is often a symptom of poor camera positioning or the motion being outside the cameras range. It can take some trial and error to find optimal conditions for your Arlo system in some environments.

Take a look at the tips in this article to optimize camera positioning for best performance:

How do I position my Arlo Ultra camera to detect motion in specific areas?

JamesC

GeoKlyr
Tutor
Tutor
that is just a blatant lie.

it's a symptom of the camera and hub having to connect to arlo cloud before it starts recording.

you people are worthless and your product is garbage.
Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation