Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Ultra outdoor cable

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
billj1000
Aspirant
Aspirant
Very surprising there is no detailed info on the ultra. at this time. For instance, what is the outdoor power cable length,? are the new cameras compatible with Arlo 2 Pro? is the new Ultra base able to use existing Arlo Pro 2 cameras? are the existing power adaptors compatible with the Ultra?? I visited my local JB HIFI which is one of the largest retailer of all things electrical and even though they were proudly advertising the new Arlo Ultra Kit and cameras, the staff there were unable to answer the most basic questions about the Ultra . Great way to introduce a new product in 2 weeks time!!
5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The outdoor power supply has a 25 foot cord. Indoor that I have is 3 feet but someone mentioned an 8 foot version, too.

The Ultra cameras are compatible with the older cameras but not the older bases at the moment. The firmware to support the Ultras on the older bases is said to be coming.

The Ultra cables are magnetically attached, eliminating the weatherproofing and mounting issues that have happened with the older cameras.

Bigjames83
Apprentice
Apprentice
And they have to be purchases separately which is a bummer. I saw the 25ft version is 50-60 bucks
DamianR
Apprentice
Apprentice
Outdoor cable: 25feet (8m) integtal 9V plugpack and magnetic connector to camera

Arlo2 Cameras work on new base.

Ultra cameras will work on old base, no 4k or other advanced features
Existing 5V usb style indoor charger may be used, but must use new usb to magnetic cable. 3 foot or (11?) foot ones available.
5V usb charging direct to camera is slow. Not suited to recharge from flat, just as a powered option for indoors really.
External 9V charger charges in a few hours.
There will also be a solar panel & a battery charge base available.

billj1000
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you all for the info. I can live without the 4k but will it still display 180 Deg and provide spotlight? Also - will it still record to cloud and be viewable for 7 days as happens with the Pro 2 setup? I imagine that would be the case if still using the Pro 2 base. Sorry for all the questions but it would be my aim to integrate at least one ultra camera into my existing Pro 2 setup (it is only a few months old). Later I will probably go all the way with an Ultra Kit which, it seems, will be able to make use of my existing Pro 2 cameras.

After reviewing further comments on this site it appears that there will be no 7 day free recording with Ultra and most people are very unhappy with this. I recently was about to purchase a Ring doorbell and was going to add cameras etc. It is cheaper than Arlo but the resolution does not seem to be as good. When I realised that after 30 days I would need a subscription, I dropped the whole idea of using Ring. I would similarly not go with Arlo Ultra without some free period to review videos in the cloud.

I find it difficult to understand why the management of Arlo fail to see the market strategy they have been using has worked and how this decision to lock people into subscriptions will only turn people off their product.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's a lot of uncertainty right now around plans, future firmware updates on older bases, etc. We're trying to understand and be able to provide concrete answers but right now only Arlo has the answers that can be considered official. We can tell you what works for us and what we understand but some of it may need to be taken with a grain of salt until things settle down. It's new to all of us.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation