Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras|NETGEAR
Guide

Arlo Ultra not recording activities

For about 3 days now, my alro ultras have not been recording any activity. I've done motion detection tests. The light blinks like its supposed to, so it IS sensing motion, but there arent any recordings in my library.
Message 1 of 23
Guide

Re: Arlo Ultra not recording activities

Hi PT805, if you go to the 'mode' section does it show 'armed'?

Message 2 of 23
Apprentice

mine has been doing the same.  One thing strange is if I go to devices it shows the person or animal that triggered the camera but there is no notification or recording.  So the camera is triggered but no recording is done.  This is a sometimes thing.  Also since the last update, about the16th I believe, 30% of the time, even though there is a recording it doesn't recognize people or vehicles anymore and just lists them as motion so there is no notification.  That last update broke more than it fixed

Message 3 of 23
Community Manager

PT805,

Are you receiving any push notifications for the cameras? As mentioned above, what mode are you using?

JamesC

Message 4 of 23
Guide

Yes mode is set to armed. I've even tried to set it to schedule to see if itll work, but no luck.
Message 5 of 23
Guide

No notifications at all. Which doesnt bother me because it's been like this for the past 5 months. But not recording really irks me.
Message 6 of 23

I am having essentially the same issue.  Started for me though late last week, even in Armed mode one (just one) of my two Arlo Ultra cameras is not detecting motion.  It isn't even recording.  The motion detection test is working normal and I can live view the camera without any issues.  

If I restart the base it will start working normal for a 2-4 hrs and then stops again.  Very odd.  Might have been connected to the recent firmware issue.  I have contacted support and they opted to replace it in case there was some hardware failure.  However they are having a system issue and can't update my shipping address right now so I am waiting on them to resolve that issue before they can send me a replacement.  I would think for sure it was just a recently hardware update but my other Ultra is working normal.  I have tired all the usual steps.

Model: VMS5240 | Arlo Ultra 2 Camera Kit
Message 7 of 23
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem. One of my two cameras isn't working. If I reset the base station it will work for about 2-4 hours then stop again. I can view live mode, it just won't record or send notifications. I believe it Started after latest firmware update. 

Message 8 of 23
Guide

I spend most of my day yesterday resetting my smart hub and all 5 of the cameras.
Uninstalled the app, reinstalled it. I thought I had the problem fixed. But like you said, it was only good for 2 hours. Now it's back to NO notifications and NO recordings. At this point I'm looking into the RING stick up camera.
Message 9 of 23
Aspirant

I am having the same issues with my Ultra system. All three of my cameras were working perfectly for weeks without issue. In the past few days, the cameras have stopped detecting motion. Sometimes all three would stop, other times just one. I have two at the front of my house about 10 meters apart. One will record motion and the other does not. (they usually record for the same motion) Swapped camera locations to see if it was the camera that was the issue, it was not the camera. All cameras have two out of three bars for signal strength. But then out of the blue it will record motion for a short time then stop again. 

Occasionally when this occurs the base station will flash amber, other times the solid blue light remains on.

The system is armed and set to record for all motion. The firmware is up to date. (I am not sure when I updated the firmware last, so cannot comment if that is the issue)

I have removed cameras from the base station and reinstalled them. The only thing I have yet to try is a full reset of the base station. 

Message 10 of 23

I unplugged my base station, my router, and my cable modem. I rebooted them both in reverse order and motion detection has been good since. But both Ultra cameras have terrible audio quality. The rest of the cameras are fine.
Message 11 of 23
Apprentice

Same problem since the last update and still doing it.... motion sensing it working in the Ultra at my front door and back door - but no recordings or notifications since the last update.

There are several threads on this same issue now - one guy owns 2 systems in 2 states doing the exact same thing....

@JamesC is there art update on this one??? Of the countless annoying issues that constantly arise with my Arlo system - this one tops them all....

No recordings is simply unacceptable. It’s literally the point of having these cameras.....

Message 12 of 23
Aspirant

Same problem here. I just upgraded to the Ultra 4 camera system and have 6 original Arlo cameras connected to the new hub also. One of the new Ultras won’t record. 

Message 13 of 23
Guide

I'd say return it. Because my system started with 3 of my 5 cameras not recording. Now none of them record. I spoke to arlo customer service today, they said they have no timeline as to when they would have a solution.
Message 14 of 23
Aspirant

Ok so literally I have the same problem as you all described. I even talked to the tech support and nothing new came out of it! They said they’ll investigate it further!
Anyways, just for those who haven’t tried it, I have done all possible troubleshootings. From a simple reboot to removing and re-pairing the cameras, checking the sensors, and even I tried the hard reset (factory reset) the result of all were the same. Working for 2-4 hours then stopped recording.
I do believe it a firmware issue as its a little chance that both my smart hubs and all 10 cameras hardware defect at the same time!

Model: VMS5440 | Arlo Ultra 4 Camera Kit
Message 15 of 23
Aspirant

I just got off the phone with the tech. They have come to realize this is a firmware issue.
Looks like they are working on it and what he told me was they expect a firmware push update sometime soon to fix the issue.
So keep checking your libraries for newly recorded videos.
Message 16 of 23
Apprentice

Well it's certainly good news they have come to that conclusion, that it took near 3 weeks considering the number of posts on this dedicated community, not so good.  If they all were as quick to respond as James is, then I would be gratefull.

Message 17 of 23
Guide

It's kinda ridiculous that they just realized it's a firmware issue. I'm sure everyone here realized it was a firmware issue when it first happened to them.
Message 18 of 23
Aspirant

Same problem here. No detection, no video recording since a few hours.

Message 19 of 23
Apprentice

I’ll chime in here and follow this thread. All our cameras are also not recording motion events since the last update. I haven’t opened up a ticket at Arlo, but will tomorrow if there is no update.

if I reboot the main unit, turn off cameras, restart them, etc once in a while I’ll get an alert or two then they’ll all go dead again. One time, one camera was active for about 12 hours and had about 120 motion alerts that day. It hasn’t worked since about a week ago when that happened despite restarting it, unpairing repairing it, etc etc 

Message 20 of 23
VCG Apprentice
Apprentice

I've  had the ultra since 1/16/19 they have been nothing but trouble. Almost every update is a mess, some thing is always different and not working as should. I'm having the same problems as you. Sometimes it picks up motion about 50 % of the time lately.  I have been rebooting, remove device, install device. I'm about done. Remember you have a year to return people.

Message 21 of 23
Apprentice

question on the 1 year return apprentice, I thought the Best Buy policy was 30 days.  I'm hoping to get it working but if they can't fix the android app to handle doze mode it's useless to me.

Message 22 of 23
Aspirant

UPDATE: All Ultra cameras that aren't on CVR won't record. I'm so glad I spent $1,150 to upgrade only to experience continued firmware issues from Arlo/Netgear. The promise of tech that never works is beyond annoying.

Message 23 of 23