Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras|NETGEAR
Tutor

Arlo Ultra - no notifications, no recordings but motion detection works

Dear community,

I'm a little lost at the moment - my Arlo Ultra system worked nice and smooth but about the point of the last firmware update a few weeks ago I do no longer recieve any notifications (push or eMail) on any of my devices (iPhoneX, iPadPro).

I checked all the settings (although I've not changed anything) and they all look fine.

I tried the "Armed" profile as well as the "Scheduled" profile and both gave me zero feedback but when I've the app open when armed and force a movement on any of my cams the motion detection symbol for the affected cam immediately turns yellow so the motion detection works fine but the indicator of the recordings located beneath the video-window left beside the settings button just stay showing "0" all the time.

I've already tried to re-install the App on all my devices and unplugged the base-station from AC for 10min but nothing helped so far.

Any idea?

Model: VMS5340 | Arlo Ultra 3 Camera Kit, VMB5000 | Arlo Ultra Base Station
Message 1 of 27
Community Manager

Re: Arlo Ultra - no notifications, no recordings but motion detection works

SuperZwu,

If you navigate to the library, are recordings being saved when motion is triggered?

JamesC

Message 2 of 27
Tutor

No there are no recordings in the library shown but as far as I've learned these recordings will not show up on my "free account" on my mobile device as I'm using an "Ultra" system.

In any case I've never seen anything to show up in my library even when all the notifications have been working!

I'm using an SD-Card to store all of those video data and I can't see the memory shrinking so I think there's nothing being recorded.

Back then when the notification system was working I could see a change in SD-Card free memory.

Message 3 of 27
Tutor

Short update here:

- Re-installed Arlo App on my iPhone -> still no notifications

- removed one of the Cams and re-paired it -> still no notifications (for this specific cam)

- double-checked for "Notification" settings in System App -> everything turned on

- double-checked all firmware versions -> running the latest version everywhere

- checked if there are recordings on the SD-Card -> YES recordings are there but since there's no notification I won't go there to check for them as they also don't show up in the mobile App "library"

I'm starting to get really pissed here as a major features of this system isn't working at all!

Notifications MUST WORK otherwise this system is completely useless - in a very expensive way :/

Anyone has other suggestions???

Message 4 of 27
Community Manager

SuperZwu,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

Message 5 of 27
Apprentice

it appears there are quite a few people having this issue since the last Base station update....

Can you please help us out here? I would contact support as you would recommend - but what’s the point? I have a ticket in for my Pro 2 Base station for nearly 2 months that I’ve called to inquire on a update for - and have never been updated from the team even upon my asking. And this is “Tier 2 support” that I wasted a ton of time running around taking pictures and uploading them as requested.... I never even heard back! Talk about gasoline on the fire....

I really want to get this resolved - it completely crippled and ruins the ultra system which until now I’ve had very few issues with.
Model: VMS5240 | Arlo Ultra 2 Camera Kit
Message 6 of 27
Apprentice

There it is indeed! Thanks for sharing
Message 7 of 27
Guide

Hi SuperZwu! I am also having this similar issue and working with Arlo support since mid July.

Curious, when this ill behavior is happening and you go to the mode section, does it show ‘armed’ or ‘getting information’?

My mode shows ‘getting information’ (screenshot attached) and I have to reboot the base station via the app to get it back to ‘armed’ mode so it’ll notify me via push app notifications and record the motion events to the library. This only works for a few hours then I have to reboot the base station again.

Message 8 of 27
Apprentice

I've had the Getting Status or Offline Issue in the mode tab for a long while. Logging out of my account and back in brings it back. I don't like this solution but Arlo has never been able to address it. That problem is only in my Android. The iPhone doesn't have that problem. ** However ** This isn't the problem my post is about. My post is about cameras not recording for motion after the Ultra Base station update on July 29th. Problems prior to July 29 are different.
Message 9 of 27
Guide

But it seems related actually.

When I have ‘getting information’ in my mode than none of the push app notifications work and no motion clips are being recorded to my library until I get it back to showing armed.

If there is actual truly motion at my cameras and my mode is stuck at ‘getting information’ at the time the time of the motion than Arlo app won’t send push notifications and never record the motion clip to the library.
Message 10 of 27
Tutor

Maybe we are mixing up different issues here ... my base station is showing "Armed" as it should and also the motion detection and the recording is working.

The "only" thing that isn't working is the notification system and the recordings don't show up in the library on my mobile app!

The support has not yet replied to my eMail but I will do a factory reset soon and will update this thread here once I have news for you Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 27
Highlighted
Apprentice

If the issue you're having started on or right after July 29, then your problem is the same as mine and others. If any of your cameras are not recording on motion, which also means the recordings are not showing up in the library, but you can still view live video and manually record to the library - same problem.
Message 12 of 27
Tutor

Do you see the video files on your SD card too?
Message 13 of 27
Apprentice

Another thing I'll add, if my Android app shows getting status or offline, that should only be the app that's affected at that time. I can logout of my app completely, but motion recordings, if working, should still be going to the library even if my having logged out prevents me from seeing motion triggered notifications. There are indeed some intertwined issues here but again, the one I'm focusing on started when the July 29 Ultra base station firmware update came out. Good Luck to us all.
Message 14 of 27
Tutor

Short update here:

Since the Arlo support still has not reached out to me except an eMail that I have to re-write all of my problem description in german I've reset my base-station to factory settings today.

I did all the initial stuff that's required, paired all my cams again to it and after about 30 minutes got everything back to my previous state BUT STILL NO NOTIFICATIONS are working!

I even tried to enable the eMail-Notifications but they don't work either.

Now I'm totally out of options and I'm think it is more than very likely that this is a software bug of the latest firmware version of the base-station!

Message 15 of 27
Apprentice

I have a different post on here with the Titled ARLO MOTION RECORDING "GOES TO SLEEP". You might want to read that. In that post I had mentioned that I also did a factory reset of the Ultra base station and then resynced all my cameras. I have a 6 cam Ultra system and also a 4 cam system. Please read those details and symptoms, all of which didn't start occuring for me until Arlo pushed out the July 29 base station firmware change.
Message 16 of 27
Tutor

> Do you see the video files on your SD card too?

Bingo!

I've just discovered a 2 hour window this afternoon where some 30 vids were recorded to SDcard but not up to the portal and no notification. My internet access was working at the time as netflix was being used and consuming about 2 of 40Mb/s bandwidth (based on same use right now).

It seems to me the cameras are detecting and recording ok but there's something flakey about comms between base station and arlo cloud.

As an aside, previously I've noticed that the arlo infrared is on thus it must have sensed motion but no notification or vid on the portal.

Model: VMS5440 | Arlo Ultra 4 Camera Kit
Message 17 of 27
Guide

Same here, at night and the early mornings I see the led infrared lights coming on my Ultra cameras but no app push notifications, or motion events being recorded to the library 😩😩😩
Message 18 of 27
Tutor

Arlo support just sent me an answer after 3 days of waiting. The guy told me that the Ultra System demands more storage space as available for my account so I would need to sign up for one of their subscription plan BUT for Austria this isn’t possible at the moment!

Sorry Arlo but that’s unacceptable!
You advertised your system is working WITHOUT any monthly payment and it was working till last firmware update and now you are trying to force us all to subscribe to your monthly payment plan!
THAT IS RIDICULOUS!!
Message 19 of 27
Apprentice

That doesn't make sense.  I have the Arlo Smart subscription and my cameras just "go to sleep" as far as motion recording goes.  Some cameras still operate and the problem rotates between the various cameras. Last night I was told the problem, which started on July 29th, was "identified" and that another firmware update would be coming soon.  So, I'm thinking we have different problems, but somewhat intertwined as both our problems occured after the July 29 firmware change came out.  Good Luck to all of us.

Message 20 of 27
Apprentice

What!?!? You’re right - that’s completely unacceptable.... it’s recording in 1080p if your not paying for the 4K recording - so why in the hell would you have to pay for the 4K that is OPTIONAL??

My god Arlo - get it to frikking gether if that’s even within your scope of capability...
Message 21 of 27
Community Manager

This issue has been raised and the development team is currently investigating these reports. I will provide an update as soon as I know more.

JamesC

Message 22 of 27
Apprentice

Hello JamesC, what was contained in the July 29 Ultra Base Station Firmware Update that caused these problems for your users?  Are you saying that this is only now being documented by Arlo?  I've had a ticket in for several days that states that motion recording "goes to sleep".  My report is very detailed and lists all the steps taken on my end to attempt remedy. I have two separate systems in different locations, different service providers in different states that have the same problem -- and both systems were fine prior to July 29th.

Message 23 of 27
Tutor

Today I received a notification that my support-task has been closed what is leaving me behind without knowing how to continue ... have the software development team found the issue or not? 

Will there be a fix for it soon or are the not even investigating it any more?

I'm willing to wait for a fix but if there's nobody actively working on it I doubt it will come back to a working condition just by itself magically and in that case I would imediatelly return my Ultra-System and buy a different one!

Would be really cool to know what's going on ...

Message 24 of 27
Apprentice

There is a fix being tested right now for the ultra cameras not recording on Motion. If all goes well, we will all be corrected soon. Good luck to us all.
Message 25 of 27