Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I am very disappointed with the new Ultra. So far in every way they are a significant downgrade from the Alro Pro 2. Everything from the new magnetic mount, camera quality, poor dynamic range of the images even with HDR set to on, poor wifi coverage without having add additional base stations, different battery size to previous models.. to name a few. I will offload the Ultra and stick with the pro 2. I am also very concerned with the false advertising for the Ultra features and camera quality. 4K means nothing if the megapixel count is low!!

15 REPLIES 15
JArloOfFlies
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,

I am disappointed with Arlo Ultra so far after a few days of playing with a new system. I've never owned Arlo before and I only bought the Ultra becasue I wanted 4K. (I am a previous Iris By Lowes user and trying to decide if I want to commit to Arlo).

Are other people with Pro2 experience seeing a downgrade in video quality from the Pro2 to Ultra?

What do you mean by low megapixel count? My understanding was that if it is called 4K it is required to have 4K resolution.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

M-Rowlands, JArloOfFlies

Keep in mind that for your recordings to be 4K, you must be subscribed to the premium video recording (PVR) service. Cloud recordings without PVR will be 1080p. You can quickly identify if a video is in 4K from the 4K badge that will be displayed on the thumbnail in the library

For live streaming in 4K, the streaming device you're using must be connected to the same network as the SmartHub and local live streaming must be enabled in the camera settings. When this is done correctly, your live streams will display a 4K badge in the top left hand corner of the stream.

From your descriptions here, it sounds like PVR may not be enabled, take a look here for more information: What Arlo subscription do I need to record videos with 4K resolution?

Regarding signal strength, range will vary depending on each users unique environment. Arlo Ultra has increased bandwidth requirements which could result in a difference in signal strength performance when compared to previous generation cameras. For best performance we recommend elevating the SmartHub, or reducing the distance between the SmartHub and the cameras if you're experiencing issues.

JamesC

Frenchyk
Guide
Guide
Thanks James because I know that saw a difference in the signal strength I picked up on my Arlo Ultra. I think I'll go ahead and get an wifi extender to be on the safe side.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Frenchyk,

Arlo Wire-free camera sync directly to the SmartHub or base station. Extending the signal with a WiFi extender is not possible.

JamesC

shawn519
Guide
Guide

Nice try.  I, too, discovered that Arlo Ultra is a scam.  I'm paying extra each month for premium video and cloud storage, and my cameras are connected to power.  Getting back to the quality issues - here's the technical reasons:  True 4K resolution requires at least a 12MP image.  The Arlo Ultra uses an 8MP image.  Simply put:  Arlo Ultra uses a lower quality sensor, and "stretches" or scales the image to 4K.  Technically, the videos will register or read as 4K, but in actuality, the image quality is more or less 1080p.  I live in an urban neighborhood, and I bought this system for 4K.  I need to be able to see license plates, faces, and other details, so the safety and well-being of my family and property.  The image quality is good, but all details are lost beyond 15-20 feet.  If you want true 4k cameras, make sure you find a system that has an image sensor that is at least 12MP.  I have another 5 days to return my system for a refund, and I am strongly considering getting a different system.  Aside from the sneaky faux-4K issue, I have also experienced issued with connectivity.  I have my base station in the center of my home, and I have a camera at my back door, and one at my front door.  Sometimes my backdoor camera loses signal.  My side door camera - which is actually closer to the base station - lost signal and was offline for 12 hours one night!  I cannot have a system that is mediocre quality and unreliable.  I bought this system for safey and peace of mind.  And so far, it has only caused me a great deal of stress.  While I prefer a wireless system, I think I will exchange Arlo for a 12MP 4K wired system.  I need quality and reliability.  And Arlo seems focused on selling half-baked over-priced products.  

shawn519
Guide
Guide

A wi-fi extender isn't going to do anything.  The cameras communicate directly with the base station, NOT your wifi network.  

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

I woud be curious just how Ultra uses wi-fi, as shawn and James both replyed how the hub and cameras speak directly to each other.  In some way your router must be involved as it must be connected to a router, the channels it uses are shown on the router and can be controled by the router.  I don't doubt the hub and cameas speak separately but it hits my curiosity now by nature to know the connection.

Retired_Member
Not applicable
Shawn, I agree. The only way to get true 4K image quality and full reliability is to change to a hardwired POE system.
Arlo’s response to my original post isn’t possible with the Ultra unless you are using them for a very small single level structure.
Too late for me to return them but I will definitely not recommend the Alro system or any other device that works on the same principle.
Lu_S
Aspirant
Aspirant
Mine loses signal all the time. I have 4 ultra and 4 pro2 and the ultra has behaved terribly worse in regards to signal. They are all centered with the base station, like a wall away and 2 feet... ridiculous. To make it worse the screws to the mount broke (yeah, super well made) with a month after purchase and they want me to pay shipping back to them so they can fix. Really??? Pre paid label, even china gives you that but for a 1.3k system that is poorly made they wont... last time I buy arlo. Nest, here I come.
Roey1973
Tutor
Tutor

I can only add, that a fast internet connection makes a big difference in my case using the Arlo Ultra. I only lose connection when all my family are using the internet at the same time therefore it kicks my cams out or just doesnt connect.  (im only judging on my experiances with the system)...  if its only me at home and no one is using the internet i will say it runs 98% smooth....   i have one of my cams at the bottom of my garden which is at least 20m away from the base and it connects 1st time when no one at home is using all the bandwidth.

ok i dont get 4k image qaulity due to not having the PVR subscribtion (that i do see as being a con in some ways) .... i do find paying money for better service of use with the cams a little cheaky... 

Firmware updates might in future make the system even more stable... 

if anyone wants 150% from a home security system and has a budget of well over 1000$ for 4k (true 4k) and has at least 4tb of HDD then please..........

this system is just a toy compared to other (true 4k) systems and for its price, i have to say im happy so far....

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Thank you for that important information good to know
Lu_S
Aspirant
Aspirant
Agreed to the internet thing. To better scope: I am a gamer and live alone, so...
Generator1999
Aspirant
Aspirant

Not sure if you ever got this answered. Think of the Arlo base station as another "router" that plugs into your current wifi/router. You basically end up with two WiFi networks, one on your current WiFi router device, and one only usable by the Arlo cameras and conneected through the Arlo base station. 

JohnStaines
Aspirant
Aspirant

Very disappointed too. I'm considering returning it. I feel like I've been scammed. The salesman said its 4k and the box says its 4k then I get it home and its not. After an hour or two of googling I discover that you need to pay an extra $20 US for each camera every 12months to get 4k (PVR upgrade). I was pissed off but I thought I better spend the extra $60 or else I wont get 4k. So I gave ARLO my credit card details and the took their subscription fee. Every since paying the fee I've had no end of issues. The videos are not being uploaded to the cloud and when they infrequently do get uploaded the video is cut short. I'm getting the same issues that every one else is getting in these forums. Browser wont play the 4k when video is being uploaded. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JohnStaines,

Some of the symptoms you describe could be related to the signal strength. What does your signal strength icon show for your camera?

Most browsers don't support viewing 4K video streams, for more information on this, take a look here: Which devices are supported for HEVC 4K or 2K playback?

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation