Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Ultra - image granularity

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
JRex28
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi,

I am new to security cameras, but decided on the Arlo Ultra’s because of the reported image quality. However, I’m a bit disappointed. For example, I have a camera over my front door. The image looks ok unzoomed, however when reviewing a recording by zooming in to get a closer look at a face (right under the camera) or a car registration plate (5 meters away) the image is totally illegible - no detail so cannot make anything out. Is this expected? I’m not sure if the recordings would be of much use if I was actually burgled.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JRex28,

It sounds like the recordings you're view are not in 4K. To record in 4K, you need to subscribe to PVR service. For more information on PVR, take a look here: What Arlo subscription do I need to record videos with 4K resolution?

JamesC

JRex28
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the suggestion, though I got a 1 year subscription with my camera package and so cloud recordings should be in 4k. As mentioned, when I zoom in on a recording to look at someone’s face for example, the quality is so poor it isn’t possible to male out their features. This is in daylight at a distance of 2 metres.
Cwmmmm
Luminary
Luminary
Try turning on the auto track and zoom. Then go back to the cam zoom in on what you need to zoom in on and it will buffer for a couple seconds and clear up really nicely. And if you like the result of that keep auto track and zoom on, its my personal favorite feature! Let me know if you see a difference.
HowCome
Star
Star

The 1 year sub included with the camera package DOES NOT include 4K cloud recording. It only allows to record in 1080P (if even that - does not look like true 1080p either because it's heavily compressed). 4K cloud recording is an extra $19.99 per year per camera.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation