Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Ultra compatibility with Arlo Pro 2 & it's base

pjsisk01
Star
Star

Please tell me these new Arlo Ultra cameras are compatible with the exisiting Arlo Pro base staton and app. If not it pretty much leaves all of the exisitng customers who invested a lot of money (myself over 700 USD) out of the upgrade game.

116 REPLIES 116
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

We've been told that a firmware update for the older bases will come in the future. I believe that the Ultra camera is currently not compatible with the older bases.

Goodoltom
Guide
Guide
I can confirm that the Arlo Ultra does not currently connect to the Arlo Pro base station.
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

Do you own one?  If so, can you refute the claim below from the Knowledgebase?

The FAQs indicate it can be connected, but would operate with reduced features.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062146/Is-Arlo-Ultra-backwards-compatible-with-my-existing-Arlo-system

=========

SmartHub. When you pair an Arlo Ultra with an older Arlo base station, you lose the following features:

• 4K video capability
  • Auto Track and Zoom
  • Local live streaming
    Note: Local live streaming of any kind, and with any resolution, is not available when you pair an Arlo Ultra with an older base station
  • A simplified onboarding experience

=========

GPP
Tutor
Tutor

I purchased an Arlo Ultra and can confirm it will not connect to the Arlo Pro base station.  It looks like you need the new base station to operate it.  I assume it is backward compatible with the Arlo Pro.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Ultra base supports the older cameras fine. We're told that the ability to use older bases will be added but isn't available right now.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

The FAQs state the older base station should support them in a degraded state until full support is offered at a later date on the old base station.  Sounds like this may not be true.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062146/Is-Arlo-Ultra-backwards-compatible-with-my-existing-Arlo-system

pjsisk01
Star
Star

We were also told the Babycam with monitor would come out at the end of last year........how’s that working for everyone who bought that line?

mikebaker2007
Initiate
Initiate

Hi, I have seen conflicting answers, will the arlo ultra work with the pro 2 base station? And if so will there be any loss in functionality?

Thanks

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A firmware update at some point is supposed to add functionality for the older bases to allow Ultra cameras to sync. Whether all functionality of the Ultra camera will be enabled is currently unknown.

Skyhawk19
Tutor
Tutor

I can tell you that as of this week the Ultra did not work with the por 2 base station. I was unable to add the cameras to the base station using the app. 

I'm not sure if that changed with the firware update but I do recall reading that there was some very limiting funcitionality with the older base stations.

jayhova
Aspirant
Aspirant

My question would be how many cameras does the new hub support?  Before the holidays I just bought a pro 2 kit with 6 cameras so the base station supports all 6 cameras (and more).  The standard hub was limited to 5 cameras.  Now if I upgrade to the ultra with new hub will it be limited to 5 cameras again?  So I have to end up paying to get back functionality for the 6+ cameras?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Bases so far are limited to 15 cameras. I don't know if the Ultra base changes that but I doubt it. The 5 camera limit is based on your plan, not what the base can support.

jayhova
Aspirant
Aspirant

I should have rephrased that.  I currently have support for 6+ cameras without having to pay a fee.  Can anyone confirm if new ultra base only supports 5 before having to pay for more?  It would also be a deterrant since I currently don't have to pay the extra fee for 6+ cameras since I bought the kit.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

I recommend you read through the Ultra topic thread on this Community.  There is a lot of information there.

If you want the Ultra features you need an Ultra base station.  If you buy an Ultra kit, you get one year for free, but only if you set up a new account with a new email address and set up the Ultra there.  If you add an Ultra system to your current account you don’t get the free year, but you still need to buy a plan to use the Ultra features.  When the free year is over, if you want the unique Ultra features, you have to purchase a plan.

GregLivesay
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an Arlo Pro system at one location and an Arlo Pro 2 system at another.

I mixed the 720P and 1080P cameras successfully with the 1080P cameras being used outside !

I am interested in the Ultra  (4K) camera system to use at a 3rd location.

I would like to use the 4K cameras outdoors so as to use a 4K camera on the original Arlo Pro location

as well as one on the Arlo Pro 2 location.  I would keep the 'new' Arlo Ultra 'base' at the 3rd location and

possibly utilize an older 720P camera on it as well.

My question is whether the Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 'base' stations will 'talk' or operate the 4K cameras?

Reserach seems to indicate that the 'older'  Arlo Pro and/or Arlo Pro 2  'base' stations may require an upgrade

or exchange.      

What is the 'straight word' on this?

GL  

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Arlo Ultra cameras will work on an older base station but you lose functions like 4K recording and Auto Zoom and Tracking. Also, be aware that when you buy an Arlo Ultra add-on camera, you won't automatically get the 1 year of Arlo Smart Premier subscription for free. If you use the basic free 7 days cloud subscription for your currently Arlo system, adding an Ultra means you won't get any recording from it

LarryQwest
Star
Star

@steve_t wrote:

Arlo Ultra cameras will work on an older base station but you lose functions like 4K recording and Auto Zoom and Tracking. Also, be aware that when you buy an Arlo Ultra add-on camera, you won't automatically get the 1 year of Arlo Smart Premier subscription for free. If you use the basic free 7 days cloud subscription for your currently Arlo system, adding an Ultra means you won't get any recording from it

Of course not. Why would you expect a $400 add-on camera to work after you purchase it. It only makes sense to have to pay additional fees for the life of the failed product.

WayneGibson
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am in the UK and plan to buy a new 6 camera ultra system, all cameras willbe outside.

I presume I get the new base station with that?

I would like 4K recording in the cloud so I hear that is a susbscritopon sernvice, how much is it?

I need 4 internal cameras as well, I feel that the Ultra is overkill, what is the best camera for internal monitoring?

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

As stated (multiple times) by jguerdat, it doesn’t work with older base stations, not currently. It seems pretty clear, from the Arlo Ultra Q&A, it will only work in the future upon release of a firmware upgrade.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@WayneGibson wrote:

I am in the UK and plan to buy a new 6 camera ultra system, all cameras willbe outside.

I presume I get the new base station with that?

You'll get what you pay for. If there is a "six pack", it should come with a "Hub". But you could also buy a pack with some cameras and a hub, and then add individual cameras.There seems to be a four camera bundle (£1,149.99) with single cameras (£329.99).  But hub plus two cameras £699.99 might be a good idea to get a spare hub.

You can also add Pro 2 cameras to the Ultra hub.

You might even persuade the Q Plus cameras to work with the Ultra hub. They will play ball with the Pro 2 base station, but I have yet to see evidence of a Q Plus camera attached to an Ultra hub. For various reasons, I can't check that.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
NetJoe
Guide
Guide

Interesting to note the language used: "swap" base station for Ultra capabilities.  I suppose I should just go to a brick and mortar or online site and say the manufacturer says I need to "swap" the base station.  So I'll just bring my 3 old hubs and request a swap 🙂

JeffSD
Aspirant
Aspirant

I would like to add 1 of the new Arlo Ultras to my existing Arlo Pro system (base and 3 cameras), will the Arlo Ultra work with my Arolo Pro base station and other cameras?

Thanks!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not currently. An update to existing bses will be needed but I haven't heard of a timeframe.

Muddy168
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently purchased a new ultra camera. Nowhere was anything expressed that said it was not compatible with the Pro 2 base station. Will there be a new update that allows these two devices to sync? I don't want to purchase the hub...an additional fee hundred dollars.  

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

The Ultra is supposed to be compatible with the Pro2 base station, however, you will lose 4K resolution, Auto Track and Zoom,  and local live streaming, so it doesn't make much sense to run the Ultra with an old base station. I don't know whether compatibility is currently available or will require a future firmware update for the Pro2 base station.