Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Ultra camera recording with no motion

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
murs01
Tutor
Tutor

I have 3 ultra cameras attached to hub

all was fine until a few days ago when one

and only one of the cameras has started 

recording although there is to motion.

And it will record repeatedly.

I have try removing camera and reinstall.

li have tried changing the sensitivity from 80% to 60% to 20% to 0%

to 100% all without success.

camera is labeled front door in screen shot - you can see repeated recordings ( but there was no motion to trigger it)

any suggestions?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dcfox1
Master
Master

Have you tried rebooting the Base (unplugging it). Or rebooting the cam (removing Battery).

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
dcfox1
Master
Master

Have you tried rebooting the Base (unplugging it). Or rebooting the cam (removing Battery).

murs01
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I had thought of rebooting the base to no avail.

But, I did not think to reseat the battery to reboot it - and initial results are favorable - camera seems to be working correctly.

thanks.
dcfox1
Master
Master

That corrects a lot of quirks. 

murs01
Tutor
Tutor

looks like I was too quick to judgement ... started back up after an hour and half ...

eastern time ... recordings with no motion 

at 6.:15   6:16   6:16   6:16   6:18   6:30   6:30   6:31   6:31   6:32   6:32   6:32   6:33 6:33

and so it goes ...

thanks for trying

murs01
Tutor
Tutor

looking at icons ...

motion detection is orange indicating it is detecting motion - but there is none!

Motion detection. If this icon is light gray, motion detection is disabled in the camera's currently selected mode. If the icon is black, motion detection is enabled. If the icon is orange, the camera is currently detecting motion.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Try swapping the camera with one of your other ones, and see if the problem stays with the location or moves with the camera.

murs01
Tutor
Tutor

thanks very much for the thought

but, no good ... camera still recording with a mind of its own - no motion detected but constantly recording and drawing down the battery quickly

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@murs01 wrote:

thanks very much for the thought

but, no good ... camera still recording with a mind of its own - no motion detected but constantly recording and drawing down the battery quickly

So the problem is definitely with the camera, and not the location.

Have you checked if audio detection is also enabled?

Also, have you ever tried to cross-trigger your cameras (record on the problem camera when another camera detects motion)?  Something like that would of course explain your symptoms.

murs01
Tutor
Tutor

audio - I tried turning microphone off - no help

cross-triggering?  I don't know what that really is or who to check for it

but since the camera in question can repeated record 10 second clips many times within a one minute timeframe, and there is no discernable motion at any of the camera, I doubt that is the problem but would check if I knew how

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@murs01 wrote:

would check if I knew how

You look in the mode for the base station and check the rule for each camera.  Make sure that audio detection is turned off in every rule.  Also make sure that the camera making the recording is the same as the camera that is detecting the motion. https://kb.arlo.com/42/What-are-modes-and-rules-and-how-does-Arlo-use-them

Note that these rules are also where you set the motion threshold.  There is a control in the motion sensitivity test, but that only applies to the test itself.  If you want to actually change the motion threshold you need to do it in the rules.

Another troubleshooting step would be to create a new custom mode.  Begin with only one rule (for the problem camera).  Then see if you get the continuous recordings when that mode is enabled in the app.

murs01
Tutor
Tutor

thanks again ...

checked the rules ... audio detection is OFF on all cameras

sensitivity set at 80%

camera detecting the motion is same as one that is recording - but there is no motion

will try new custom mode when I get chance 

thanks again

murs01
Tutor
Tutor

tried new custom mode just with one camera in question

set sensitivity down to 50%

immediately the camera started recording for 10 seconds several times each minute

so still the same problem

thanks for trying to help

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@murs01 wrote:

tried new custom mode just with one camera in question

set sensitivity down to 50%

immediately the camera started recording for 10 seconds several times each minute

so still the same problem

If you set it to 0%, to the recordings continue?

Have you tried using the motion detection test, and see if it triggers when its threshold is also set to 0? https://www.arlo.com/pl_pl/support/faq/1114344/How-do-I-use-the-motion-detection-test-for-my-Arlo-de...

murs01
Tutor
Tutor

cannot set motion detection to zero - only goes down to one

but at one, it seems to have calmed the camera

I bumped it back to 80% and it immediately started recording

so, I will continue to experiment and see where it remains stable

I had tried 50% and I know that didn't help, so now I will try 45% before heading lower

thanks again, hopefully this will allow the camera to work as it should

thanks

murs01
Tutor
Tutor

Down to 35% now and seems to be holding

just did a live view with camera and heard loud buzzing!

I have now turned microphone off at camera

so, it may well have been associated with sound

hope it stays working now, even without microphone

murs01
Tutor
Tutor

now a NEW problem

same camera

but now it appears to be completely unresponsive

cannot go to live - there is no triangle to click, just a static picture from several minutes ago

tried to go to Camera Positioning utility but all I get is is wait

oh ... now the Camera Positioning utility is working and now I have LIVE picture back again

false alarm, I guess

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation