Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Ultra and 3 - Wireless?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
anolte
Follower
Follower

I have 3 Arlo Pro cameras.  To use all of the features, they have to be plugged in to an AC connection.  On the Arlo Ultra or 3, do they also have to be plugged in to an AC connection to be able to use all of the features?  Please let me know as I don't want to get the surprise a second time.  I was not happy to learn this after the purchase of my Arlo Pros.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@anolte wrote:

On the Arlo Ultra or 3, do they also have to be plugged in to an AC connection to be able to use all of the features? 

The 3-second lookback requires AC power, as do local activity zones and CVR (continuous video recording - requires a subscription also).  All of those features require the camera to be always capturing video, so it isn't practical to run them when the camera is on battery.

Cloud activity zones and smart notifications don't require AC power, but do require a paid subscription.  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As with any battery-operated device, something that requires the device/camera operating all the time will quickly deplete the battery. The only solution is to use external power. So, the answer is yes, AC power is required to use all features.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@anolte wrote:

On the Arlo Ultra or 3, do they also have to be plugged in to an AC connection to be able to use all of the features? 

The 3-second lookback requires AC power, as do local activity zones and CVR (continuous video recording - requires a subscription also).  All of those features require the camera to be always capturing video, so it isn't practical to run them when the camera is on battery.

Cloud activity zones and smart notifications don't require AC power, but do require a paid subscription.  

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation