Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Ultra - Wifi Interference

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Wire-Mark
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had the system installed for a few weeks now and i have noticed that whenever i get a notification for movement come through if i am streaming on my ipad it buffers and stops or when playing on my playstation it starts to lag. The lag on the playstation recovers however the streaming stops working and i have to quit and restart.

Now i am presuming this is when the Arlo's own wifi network is kicking in and writing back to the Arlo basestation it is causing interference with my own wifi.

Now, on my router i have split into two networks, a 5ghz and a 2.4ghz one. Everything works fine on the 5ghz and i get the full UL and DL speeds. 2.4ghz is much slower so i dont use that. All my devices experiencing problems are on the 5ghz network so i think the Ultra is using a 5ghz network connection also which is knocking my home wifi out.

The arlo basestation is sat 1m away from my BT Homehub (UK ISP) which as it has to be connected via ethernet you would expect that they would sit side by side. Speedtests for my internet over wifi are 59.8DL and 15.9 UL.

If i switch the arlo off, i have no issues. Does anyone have any ideas on how to rectify? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It sounds like you're swamping your upload speed. Certainly upgrading your service would help but at a cost.  One thing to try is to use the Quality of Service (QoS) setting in your router to reserve some upload bandwidth. In the Bad Old DFays, I had a 1Mbps upload speed and when I was busy uploading photos to a remote server we would have streaming issues. Reserving a few hundred kilobytes of upload bandwidth solved that problem. Testing would be needed.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It sounds like you're swamping your upload speed. Certainly upgrading your service would help but at a cost.  One thing to try is to use the Quality of Service (QoS) setting in your router to reserve some upload bandwidth. In the Bad Old DFays, I had a 1Mbps upload speed and when I was busy uploading photos to a remote server we would have streaming issues. Reserving a few hundred kilobytes of upload bandwidth solved that problem. Testing would be needed.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation