Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
peterl1084
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello, I recently purchased the Arlo Ultra kit with four cameras in Finland from a local retailer. I was excited about the 4K feature and had high expectations based on some videos I had seen online. Now I'm quite confused about the video quality and the performance of the product.

I have the base station (smart hub) plugged into my router with an ethernet cable, and I'm in the same network with my mobile devices (tried both 2,4ghz and 5ghz). The video quality is still terrible. I've got so far two out of four cameras connected to the hub, both have 4k local streaming enabled, and the distance between the hub and the cameras is at most 30 feet. Cameras are outside. The building is made from wood, and the regular wifi signal is strong outside, still for some reason the camera images are blurry and pixelated and nowhere close to the expected quality.

The 4k symbol appears in the images and signal strength between the camera and the base station is stated to be strong.

Also, for some reason, the smart hub came with a US 100V - 120V power adapter (from Netgear) rather than with an EU version. I'm currently using the EU power adapter that came with the twin-charger for my base station.

Attaching a sample of the "4K" image.

I have a premier subscription for 1 year that came with the kit.

arlo-4k.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

peterl1084,

Are you able to share a video clip so we can better understand what you are seeing?

JamesC

peterl1084
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey James, and thanks for the quick reply.

Here you can find a regular clip recorded from my.arlo site https://my.arlo.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/748EF1AE2E1ABD5D_201912

I understand that under these circumstances, the clip is not 4K as I only have the bundled premier account, but my problem is that this specific clip is nothing close to FullHD either. From my local network, if I stream the 4K video to my mobile device, the quality is actually really close to this, really pixelated upscale, unfortunately.

I'm wondering whether this is an issue with the connection or the camera resolution? Thanks for your help.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

peterl1084,

Do you experience the same behavior during the day or only at night? You might try turning off the spotlight within the camera settings as it appears there is a lot of ambient light in your environment. This may help improve the image quality. The light sources directly below the camera could also be causing an issue as well.

JamesC

MarkProulx
Tutor
Tutor
Did this issue get resolved? I ask because I just installed an Arlo Ultra and the video quality is horrible - blurry, pixelated...
peterl1084
Aspirant
Aspirant

Unfortunately not, it was bit better during day time but completely useless in dark. Ended up returning the whole kit for refund.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

MarkProulx,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

MarkProulx
Tutor
Tutor
Thank you. I have done just that and now have an open case. Further investigation will have to wait until I return to the installation site. I will post more information when it becomes available.
Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation