Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
emat12000
Aspirant
Aspirant

Recently purchased Arlo Ultra to replace a legacy camera system (Amcrest).  The amcrest camera power cord was spliced in existing power source at camera location.  4 small wires.  Red and Black only ones spliced as that would be the power.  Note these are the very small wires so assuming not normal 110 type power.  So I tried to splice charging cable that came with Arlo into these same wires and got a charging fault warning.  The USB charging cable had the same red and black small wires so figured if I just splicted into existing wires it would work.  Assuming maybe I'm not getting enough power from existing wires.  Would buying an actual Arlo Ultra power cable when those come out work?

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The official power supplies are the best choice. I believe Arlo is doing something that may be used to detect other charging attempts. No idea what - maybe they're using the other wires for something?

emat12000
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ya, I expected more than just the red and black wires when I cut charging cord.  My power source as 4 but I know one is ground and one is probably a neutral.   I only needed the red and black to power the Amcrest camera.  I think there maybe a voltage difference with USB charging cable.  I know my power source isn't 110 or doesn't appear to be with that small of wires.  I just don't want to buy the power cable, cut it and then have it not work either.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation