Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
DanielJo20
Star
Star

Hey

Is there a Size limit for the inserted SD Card?

Can i put a 128GB card?

What is the reccomended size ?

THanks

Daniel

28 REPLIES 28
Kellay
Aspirant
Aspirant

My friend was able to use a 128GB card after formatting it on a PC first as a FAT partition.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I seem to recall seeing that a 256GB card is the max. Any card must be in FAT32 format which is most easily done in the interface after inserting the card.

brh
Master
Master

I am using a 256gb microSD card in mine.

Brian

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DanielJo20,

For more information on using a micro SD card with your Arlo Ultra, take a look here: How do I record 4K videos to a microSD card?

JamesC

DanielJo20
Star
Star

James 

that dosn't answer my question

Alvea
Initiate
Initiate

I bought the 1 camera kit as an extra camera to go with my 4 camera set. The SD card goes in the smart hub. I think I've read that the 32GB is the highest recommended. I used the 64GB and formatted the card using the Arlo app on my phone. Go to the Settings, then to My Devices, then tap your hub name. Scroll down and go to Storage Settings. Go ahead and insert the card into your hub, but do it slowly and the Format SD Card in red will pop up as the card is detected in the hub before it is completely inserted. Tap on it, and make sure it's a fresh/clean/new SD card because it will erase it once it has been formatted. Once the card has been formatted, the SD Card Status will read/say GOOD, and you're done. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I know 128GB cards have been successfully used and maybe 256GB ones. There's frequently little need for such large cards unless you're doing a lot of recording and/or want very long time periods to be locally recorded.

enigmaphoenix
Star
Star

Confirmed working with a 256 GB card.  nothing special to be done, just insert and format in app as normal.  Specific model for reference.  SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB, UHS-1,V10 (SDSQUSI-256G-ANCMA)

Lagneaux
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi

Whouuuu whouuuu Whoummmm .... grrrrrrr

You would have to be precise in your answers and not to make jokes ... Please, do not answer without knowing and do the sorcerer's apprentice! re-grrrrrrr ! A little professionalime, good heavens!

What is the maximum number of GB accepted by the hub, 1TB, 5TB, 200TB, 1500TB? (Lol)

Then, and so, an SD card class10, U3, V90, that's it? OKAY?

So what would be the brands of manufacturers that have this type of SD card with these features?
If so, which brand and which reference? thanks in advance ...

Regards

brh
Master
Master

@Lagneaux.,

This is what I am using:

SanDisk 256GB Extreme UHS-I microSDXC Memory Card with SD Adapter

Click on the link to view wher I purchased it and for how much.

Brian

DSMagic
Star
Star

@jguerdat wrote:

I know 128GB cards have been successfully used and maybe 256GB ones. There's frequently little need for such large cards unless you're doing a lot of recording and/or want very long time periods to be locally recorded.

What are you talking about? My 32GB card is maxed out every 2 or 3 days. I really cant stand having to change the card so often. Even if it lasted 4 days on 32 that would only be 2 weeks on a 258 GB card. That's seriously not nearly enough coverage. These cameras are capable of capturing 4K video. That chews up a massive amount of storage for each 4K camera. I have 4 ultra cameras but the hub will only allow 2 of them to recod in 4K but even thouse 2 cameras are capturing 16 times as much data as the 1080P cameras so that's kind of like recording 34 cameras simultaneously. How can you possibly think 256GB is of little need for a 4K camera system? I don't think 1 TB is enoug space for a 4K camera system.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

There's frequently little need for such large cards unless you're doing a lot of recording and/or want very long time periods to be locally recorded.

As I stated before.

DSMagic
Star
Star

@jguerdat wrote:

@jguerdat wrote:

There's frequently little need for such large cards unless you're doing a lot of recording and/or want very long time periods to be locally recorded.

As I stated before.

Obviously, If you don't need to record terrabytes of video then you don't need, or even want a 4k camera system. Get a 1080p system. The only purpose of a 4K security camera system is to capture high quality 4K video which requires massive amounts of storage.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have 2 Ultra cams plus various others recording on my Ultra hub using a 128GB card. A 1 minute 4K recording I just checked on is 23-ish MB. At that rate, my card would stor >5500 videos. Of course, longer or shorter ones would change that. How many recordings are you getting per day? How long are they? How fast is your card filling? Mine's been in place nearly 2 months and I've used about 19GB so far.

DSMagic
Star
Star

I am guessing you are trusting your cameras to give you peace of mind that if anyone did break in or steal something you would be able to identify them. My yards are invaded on a weekly basis and all my footage has bee rejected by the police for the obvious reasons. Before Ultra it was becuas the quality was too poor but since Ultra it's because the Ultra doesn't start capturing until after the perp has left the premasis. So, to get around that, I've set up numerous triggers around my yard to trigger the Ultra to begin recording early and at the sligtest indication of an invader. That requires a lot of storage. You would do the same if you had any invaders. I promise you the first time someone robs your place under Ultra survalience you will understand why it's all marketing and nothing is as you hope it will be. It's a false sense of security. The only hope of benefitting from the 4K cameras is non stop recording 24/7. At least until Arlo fixes their system at actually capture the perps while entering the property as well as while leaving with your goods in hand. They need to do 2 things: 1) put the microSD on the camera itself so the camera can store locally in real time, and syc with the hub when not recording. 2) allow backups to a local NAS because microSD is not sufficient for this type of work. 

Arlocustomer978
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi there,

I used 32GB and it fills up so fast (1-2 days maximum) that I do not have even time to flush it and start again.

I tried 1TB MicroSD card. Arlo Ultra SmartHub failed to format it. Windiws can format it as exFAt sucessfully. Obviously the SmartHub OS does not have support of exFat. 

Arlo should release a new firmware update with including support for higher capacity SD cards

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Arlocustomer978 wrote:

I used 32GB and it fills up so fast (1-2 days maximum) that I do not have even time to flush it and start again.

You must be doing a lot of recording.  32 GB should hold about 18 hours of recordings (even using 4K @ 4mbps).

FWIW, I use 128 GB (Samsung MicroSDXC Evo Select) in mine.

@Arlocustomer978 wrote:

I tried 1TB MicroSD card. Arlo Ultra SmartHub failed to format it. Windiws can format it as exFAt sucessfully. Obviously the SmartHub OS does not have support of exFat. 

Did you try to format the MicroSD card with FAT32?  That's what the SmartHub uses.

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

how many ultra cameras are you recording?

I use a 512gig SD so i can hold the most days locally.  I believe 512gig is the largest size SD card the Arlo Ultra base recogonizes (but I could be mistaken).

thanks!

Highway444
Aspirant
Aspirant
This is straight off the Arlo Ultra spec sheet: “ Your SmartHub accepts micro SD cards, SDHC or SDXC only, with up to 32 GB capacity, file format FAT32. The Arlo app displays a message to let you know if you need to format the SD card. The SmartHub can format the SD card.”
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Highway444 wrote:
This is straight off the Arlo Ultra spec sheet: “ Your SmartHub accepts micro SD cards, SDHC or SDXC only, with up to 32 GB capacity, file format FAT32. The Arlo app displays a message to let you know if you need to format the SD card. The SmartHub can format the SD card.”

I have a 128 GB micro SD card. Works fine.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Highway444 wrote:
This is straight off the Arlo Ultra spec sheet: “ Your SmartHub accepts micro SD cards, SDHC or SDXC only, with up to 32 GB capacity,

I see that also.  But it definitely takes larger cards than that, so they should revise the documentation.

@JamesC: do you know the limit?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

StephenB,

While larger cards may work, not every card is tested. What is listed in the manual (quoted above) illustrates what is officially supported.

JamesC

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@JamesC wrote:

StephenB,

While larger cards may work, not every card is tested. What is listed in the manual (quoted above) illustrates what is officially supported.

JamesC

OK. Add the Sandisk Ultra 128 GB Micro SD XC I to the list of "tested" (by me) cards.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
PainIsAPromise
Aspirant
Aspirant
I bought the Sandisk Extreme Plus 64GB MicroSD card with 170MB/s read and 90MB/s write speed for $24.99 on sale at BestBuy. I popped the card into my Arlo Base Hub, opened the app, formatted the card, and its functioning flawlessly so far. After formatting, I have 59GB of storage left. It says "SD Card: Enabled" and "Storage Status: Ready" No errors.