Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Ultra Camera difference between Outdoor and Indoor Charging Cables

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Billychanarlo
Tutor
Tutor

I'm planning to buy the Ultra kit with smart base station and the Ultra Cam. Since the kit will include the indoor charging cable but not the outdoor one, just wonder what's the difference besides the length? The outdoor cable has better weather resistance? Or it will charge faster?

Because I look at the pictures and seems their magnetic connecters are different, will there be a trouble if I use the indoor cable for outdoor purpose?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

The outdoor charger has a thicker cable, rated for wet environments.  The outdoor charger outputs 9V versus 5V for the indoor unit and is rated IP65. The cable cannot be removed from the outdoor charger whereas the indoor charger has a USB connector on the end of the cable. The camera end of the outdoor cable looks similar but is more compact.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

The outdoor charger has a thicker cable, rated for wet environments.  The outdoor charger outputs 9V versus 5V for the indoor unit and is rated IP65. The cable cannot be removed from the outdoor charger whereas the indoor charger has a USB connector on the end of the cable. The camera end of the outdoor cable looks similar but is more compact.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And, perhaps due to the 9v output, I find that the outdoor charger charges faster.

Billychanarlo
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the Info! Seems the camera end of the cable is just the same magnetic design as indoor cable but shorter. Does it come with extra rubber sealing design around the magnetic connection to make it waterproof? 

DamianR
Apprentice
Apprentice
The 9V charger is a few hours for me.
The 5 V usb indoors one will maintain charge and power cvr, but only charge 1 or 2 % per hour for me while camera is on.
DamianR
Apprentice
Apprentice
The outdoor / indoor cables dont seem to have any difference around the pins or extra seal. Outdoor one would be my indoor choice as well.
Indoor cable is a bit limiting (not practical to quickly.recharge a camera for placement back outdoors)
Billychanarlo
Tutor
Tutor

It seems the outdoor cable is much better but so need to pay another $49.99.... 

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation