Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Lmhno1
Tutor
Tutor
Anyone else keep having issue after issue with Arlo Ultra. My 4k live stream keeps freezing and stalling. Absolute nightmare. Also doesn’t record in activity zone. Anyone know what to do? I’ve got subscription and memory sd card, good WiFi. So that last not the problem.
14 REPLIES 14
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What's your upload speed as measured by speedtest.net? Is the ISP having issues? What signal strength do you see for the cameras?

Lmhno1
Tutor
Tutor
Internet speed is 110 mbps upload speed of 7mbps. No internet issues at all. Camera strength is good.

Cheers

Lee
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Lmhno1,

The symptoms you're describing are often due to poor signal strength or interference. What is the signal strength icon showing? Do you have more than one camera behaving this way?

JamesC

DSMagic
Star
Star

I'm having this exact same problem. I have video's where most of the frames are frozen. It' started to capture activity but instead it only captured sound over a frozen frame. This is madening. And I find it very troubling when support asks about the internet speed because my security system has to serve me even when the internet is down. The internet speed cannot be an issue for a security system otherwise it's not security, it's just a toy. The hub has to be able to take the load at all times even without internet. A microSD card is cearly insuficient for this purpose. 

Lmhno1
Tutor
Tutor
Yes I know, they need to send an update. My activity zone still isn’t working so battery’s are draining like I don’t know what. 4k on live stream on front camera is terrible. My internet speeds are over 110 mbps. I don’t have any issues streaming. Definitely arlo s software.
DSMagic
Star
Star

Just now I got a video capture of a guy attempting to return stolen property because he thinks I caught him on camera. The funny thing is that my camera did not catch him. I literally have no footage of him jumping over the fence, grabbing the can of gas, handing the gas to his friend and then jumping back over the fence. It was all within the activity zone to be captured but by the time the camera bagan to record the perp was gone. Then today the camera was triggered to record because of motion outside my activity zone, which was good because it was the perp riding on a quad with the jerry can to return it. But for some reason the camera stopped recording before the quad got close enough to identify the driver. Then the camera did not record them arriving, the perp getting off the quad and walking up the drive way. It only started recording again after the quad was driving off again and too far to identify him. This is not a security system. It's false security which is worse than no security. 

Lmhno1
Tutor
Tutor
Have arlo customer services said they are going to do anything about it?

They really should make more of an effort considering the price of these things.
DSMagic
Star
Star
I’ve probably discussed this with at least 6 or more support people. Only level 2 support even acknowledges it as a problem. Level 1 support considers all of my issues a misunderstood feature. They try to explain why the system was designed to work that way. The level 2 support person basically said there is nothing he can do but suggested the engineers might take notice if I send clips to support and post in this forum. I’ve emailed many clips and have got no response so now I’m posting issues here.
DSMagic
Star
Star
This morning I woke up to see my truck and 18’ tool trailer were gone from my driveway. I’m not surprised because I expected my protect manager to take it but I was surprised I didn’t hear it so I logged into Arlo to verify it was him and there is zero footage any anyone approaching the truck or driving away with it or the 18’ trailer it was connected to. I see the truck and trailer there at 8:05 then nothing there at 8:08. I assume it was my manager but Arlo is not helping.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DSMagic,

How far away from the camera is the motion you were trying to detect? Internet speed could be a factor here if your download/upload speeds are poor, it could result in some of the symptoms you describe.

Another factor is the camera signal strength, what do you see for the signal strength icon on the camera widget?

JamesC

DSMagic
Star
Star

@JamesC wrote:

DSMagic,

How far away from the camera is the motion you were trying to detect? Internet speed could be a factor here if your download/upload speeds are poor, it could result in some of the symptoms you describe.

Another factor is the camera signal strength, what do you see for the signal strength icon on the camera widget?

JamesC

The truck and trailer is about 10' away from the camera. The door to the house is about 25' away. The driver of the truck had to open the door to the house and walk about 15' to the door of the truck, open the truck door and get in before starting the truck. Then he had to slowly pull the trailer out of the driveway. He did all of this without a single shot from the "security" camera only 10' away.

Signal strength is very strong, maxed actually. My internet upload speed is poor obviously that should not prevent the "security" camera from capturing images of a theif in my yard, steeling a truck and trailer. Obviously that would not be a "security" system if it only provided "security" when the internet is fastest. That would be a hobby toy and should be marketed and prices accordingly. But this is a "security" system so please don't try to excuse bad security with bad internet speeds. I'm trying to protect my vehicles, tools and everything in my yard which is the reason I purchase a "security" system. My job site is way up north and there is no good internet option but the Smart hub has a microSD card which should capture everything. Unfortunately it is not capturing much of anything. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DSMagic,

Arlo is a cloud based recording security system. Poor internet speeds will negatively impact performance. For best performance, we recommend an upload speed of at least 4Mbps: What is the minimum upload bandwidth speed required for Arlo Ultra? 

If your speeds are lower, it may result in the behavior you're describing, especially if you're using multiple cameras.

JamesC

Lmhno1
Tutor
Tutor
As I’ve said my upload speeds are between 7-11mbps. It’s a Netgear issue. They need to send update out. Still waiting for activity zone fix aswell. People should avoid this system until issues are resolved by arlo.
DSMagic
Star
Star

I understand the benefit of adding the cloud feature to a security system and I'm willing to accept some of the security risks associated in exchange for the benefits as I have done with other security systems I own and I am currenty using but I am NOT willing to accept the cloud features as a REPLACEMENT for security. I am so disbelieving that the brains behind Arlo would believe this is even a passible idea in any way, that I'm going to hold my breath and wait for them to fix it, because I need the 4K. Actually, the police needs the 4K. I need to get an image of the perps before they leave the property so I will have to reinstall the old security system along side this Arlo Ultra toy camera system. Unless someone can tell me where else I can find wire free 4K security that is actually a security system. 

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation