Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
BryanDawson
Star
Star

HORRIBLE business practice.

Arlo has the audacity to automatically downgrade (via software) their 4K cameras to 2K *even on local recordings* and eliminate 4K streaming on a basic subscription. Their answer?

1) They expect customers to pay for an upgraded subscription to get the 4K they expect on 4K cameras.

2) Cancel subscription to avoid downsampling (but lose activity zones, 911, etc.)

Talk about a bait and switch. I don't mind 2K cloud recording (it's Arlo's servers), but they should have no right to DOWNSAMPLE a camera I purchased and videos on hardware I own and extort more money.

>>>>> AND before some "community manager" starts his "hardware limitation" BS, save it. This is PURELY an intentional SOFTWARE downsample and cynical upsell strategy. During the "free trial" I had 4K streaming on one device and my local recordings were 4K. If this not resolved I will take this to my 95,000 followers on Twitter.

51 REPLIES 51
BryanDawson
Star
Star
Great job, Danny. Interesting how the “moderators” are avoiding this discussion.
Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
In my experience they basically avoid any sort of logical presentation of evidence of their shady business practices. Welcome to the Arlo club!
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

actually when this first happened back in January the moderators also believed this advertisement was true and said so for a couple months until they also learned what was happening.  Arlo also hung them out so what does that say.  After this moved through support to a upper level they e-mailed me to say the moderators were wrong and they would speak with them.  So if your a moderator and you see this add posted but mgt. says your wrong you probably don't want to get involved.

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yep - the mods on this site are awesome. They genuinely want to help people - and they are FAR more helpful than Arlo's general support system will ever be. They've helped me streamline a ticket multiple times to resolve issues that would have taken countless frusterating phone calls to their useless call in support line....

It's not the mods fault this company is a vile steaming pile of crap. They're stuck between a rock and a hard place - and I try to be sensitive to that fact... they're probably forced to tow the company line and give arbitrary responses to the people who see through this sham - or lose their jobs. At least that's usually how it goes in the corporate world.

But damn. This company at large is officially a dumpster fire with their ultimately shady bait and switch with their "4k" Ultra camera line.
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Their stock got a big boost when Apple said they would list a couple Arlo's on site to work with homekit, might be hoping for a version of Nest or Ring.  Unless things change I think homekit is only 1080P.  The same financial story said Arlo needed it because they were only retaining 35% on the cloud after the trial period.  

BryanDawson
Star
Star
BryanDawson
Star
Star

So, I answered my own question and Arlo is an even worse company than we already discovered: Arlo advertises it is Apple HomeKit compatible, but.... surprise >>>

THEY DON’T SUPPORT HOMEKIT RECORDING.

I will be returning this product to Costco and writing a thread on Twitter describing these highly deceptive business practices. My handle is @BryanDawsonUSA. I hope some of you can visit and amplify.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@BryanDawson  Costco's must have a good return policy since you said your 1 year trial ran out in you original post. 

BryanDawson
Star
Star

Yes... Costco stands by its products. One reason why membership is so worth it.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

actually Costco has a great policy extending coverage on almost everything electronic for two years for free.  The only question would be if they accept the reason.  I have seen them take back many things most would have questioned without batting a eye.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

I would also point out the issue didn't exist until the trial ran out.

hevaK
Star
Star

I also came here to voice my utter disappointment after investing in Arlo Ultra 2.  After my trial ran out, I signed up for the 2k online plan thinking the local storage would still be 4k, however it’s not.  It records locally to 2k as well.  WTF?  What the hell is the point of advertising this camera as 4k when it’s clearly not unless you either 1) don’t subscribe at all (so you lose even thumbnails, seriously you can’t have the base station figure out thumbnails?) or 2) subscribe to the most expensive plan which is $15/mo and only allows for 5 cameras.  Nest’s plan is looking waaaay more reasonably priced.  I’m wondering if I should just take the whole system back to Costco.

demannu
Apprentice
Apprentice
Wish the returns policy in my country were that good, I would have returned this rubbish product a long time ago and so I had the money to buy a real security system instead. Arlo is just a gimmick product that sounds amazing on paper but fails miserably to deliver.
CarrieF
Tutor
Tutor
This drives me crazy to! In NZ we have to pay $8 per camera for elite! I wish I had got pro with free storage! We pay $5 per camera for basic 2k storage. Wish I had never bought arlo ultra cameras
CarrieF
Tutor
Tutor
I am guessing no one has come up with a magical way to get 4k recording cheaper than the current rip off?
demannu
Apprentice
Apprentice

nope, arlo put a lot of r&d into ensuring they could rinse their customers of their hard earned money as much as possible by implementing systems that artificially cripple the product making it impossible for you to use your equipment as you please without paying them for the 'privilege' 

2B1is2N1
Initiate
Initiate

I could not agree more with your statement! What a scam they are pulling here! I even went one step further and purchased a 2TB Hard Drive to Record, thinking i would not need a subscription? No, 
This is how it went??? How about this, when the consumer buy’s and connects a hard drive, we will make them purchase a subscription and not have the ability to record direct, as is the case with most cameras on the market. Great Idea, Bad Idea to Incorporate!

Just like the Internet: The Best Thing Invented or the worst thing invented.

What is the cost per camera monthly? How much are the chargers I will require for each camera so i the ability to CVR?

This is a great deal, no wonder it was so inexpensive, it is not provided with any accessories to perform the basic functions of recording direct, I have to purchase all of this in addition!!! WTF! I messed up this time in not researching this in full detail before making the purchase!!! My other thought, once all this is connected, was to eliminate my home alarm system and monthly fee.

Thanks for bringing it back, buy the sounds of your Arlo Camera Technology, you have not provided me with a reduction in my operating cost’s,

I used the Arlo Cameras to replace my existing video security system for these reasons, 1. Wireless connectivity from a power and data perspective, (No big One Here, I am a electircal engineer) then it turns out, to CVR you need to power the camera.
I am going to research your product marketing literature to see if you mention any of this, other than in the owners manual? If its is not, you have made false and incorrect claims.

Bottom Line, the camera’s are great, work well! Only if you are viewing them on your monitor in real time/live or if you manually record. If you require any form of notification on the system, open your wallet to purchase accessories and subscription.

Way to go Arlo! Smart of your design engineers to come up with this revenue retaining scheme! I am impressed, you will trick the majority of consumers, then piss off the ones that understand your approach and have no further dealings with Arlo!

So in retrospect, can you provide me with a return authorization number, so i can pack this up and return it, or i can keep the product, I invoice you for electrical work I have to undertake to provide utility to the cameras, that do not require power, as described in your marketing information.
I will also invoice you for the Hard Drive purchased and Installed, which is of no use to me, if I have to purchase a subscription.

I wont even get into the Download speed adjustments, really Arlo!! you would be better off not telling consumers about this, you will already have to gently explain to them, what capability your limited security/monitoring system has in place right out of the box in the first place.

One thing I will suggest to Arlo, If a consumer ask’s you how good your systems are: Your honest response should be: The Cameras Are Superior 4K Quality and provide awesome picture quality.

Don't mention anything else about your systems or you will shoot yourself in the foot!

Look forward to your response.
Regards

Brian J Simpson
President
Data Center Technologies Corporation
416-884-8151.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@2B1is2N1  You can record to the Smart Hub without a subscription. 

hevaK
Star
Star

@dcfox1 you can, however:

1) if you sign up for the 2k cloud plan, the local recordings on the smart hub are limited to 2k as well, not 4k

2) you miss out on any smart detection features (like person/animal/etc)

3) you don’t get thumbnails at all, which makes reviewing locally stored videos a *much* worse experience.  I can’t think of a good excuse for why thumbnails aren’t easily attainable on a hub that’s always plugged in.

These things all together really put a sour taste in people’s mouths, especially given how expensive the cloud plans are compared to every other option out there.  It looks like Arlo is trying to milk their customers for more money rather than providing the best possible product and experience.

I took a shot on arlo because it was harder to run ethernet in our new home.  Coming from Blue Iris, I liked that it supported local recording to the smart hub, but I didn’t realize the smart hub wasn’t that smart and was so incredibly neutered/limited in functionality.  The Ultra2 cameras don’t come cheap either.  For the price of the cameras and hub alone, Arlo owes it to its customers to provide every bit of functionality it can in just the standalone environment.  I also can’t believe that paying them for the 2k cloud plan actually makes the smart hub even worse as it limits everything to 2k on 4k cameras.

demannu
Apprentice
Apprentice
Totally agree, arlo are crooks. They intentionally cripple the system so you end up having to sub. Even the way they price of their hardware makes you end up being just stuck with them since the investment is so high. Then to get the basic functionality you have to sub. Such an evil organisation.
Mad_cow
Apprentice
Apprentice
So this is what happened? The features were removed?

Anyone in Australia, contact ACCC.
HoZr
Tutor
Tutor
So, sorry Not sorry? Costco refunded our purchase without question. There were 2 other Arli units sitting on the return shelf. Apparently others were sick of Arlo’s BS. The fact they don’t respond is unforgivable. We’ve replaced everything with WYZE at this point with 10 cameras. We are in it a fraction of the cost and everything was seamless to set up. No proprietary connection/chargers/hubs. WYZE is super interactive with the community and regularly implement suggestions. So again, sorry Not sorry...? F¥{|< Arlo.
andyboymiller
Tutor
Tutor

I was just burned with the 1 year free trial, then you have to pay to be able to record.  My original camera was free recording for up to 7 days.  When I bought 3 additional cameras, they never said they would not work with the same free service as the older one.  They are deceptive and dishonest.  Spent 1.5 hours on chat session and got no help.  I am going to pursue legal action

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

They put in their latest disclaimer that you have no right to a class action knowing few can afford it on their own.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@RickInPDX You don't have to post the same thing four times.