Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 37 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
srandall25
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have programmed my Arlo Security Light to start recording on my Arlo Ultra camera if motion is detected; however it is not working. I have two different security lights and cameras for the front and back yard setup this way, but neither works.

I just tested this tonight. If i walk in front of the security light, the motion sensor triggers and the light turns on. I then check a few minutes later (even later) and there is no video in the video library for the this event. I do notice the camera light comes on upon triggering the security light.. but it apparently is not recording.

I have attached a screen shot showing the settings for the security light. I have added the device for the Front Yard camera, and set this to record. I have done this same setting for my backyard security light and camera as well. Same result. Please take note that the motion sensor is triggering because the light comes on, so this is not an issue with the motion sensitivity setting.

37 REPLIES 37
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I would try and delete the mode for the light to trigger the camera...

Test the lights on their own and confirm they send out alerts to you when triggered

reboot base

rebuild a new mode for the light to trigger a camera

test

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Mdterps
Apprentice
Apprentice
I am having this same problem now. My rules which trigger recordings on non-ultra cameras are working fine, however all my security light motion rules which are supposed to record on ultra cameras are not working. I have tried rebooting everything and re-creating rules and I am still unable to record on my Ultra when Motion is Detected by my multiple security lights.
srandall25
Apprentice
Apprentice

See attached screenshot.. by deleting the mode, do you mean simply unchecking 'motion is detected' and changing 'record' option to 'do nothing' ?

srandall25
Apprentice
Apprentice

I called Arlo Support center today and after some lengthy troubleshooting, they confirmed this is a problem that they also duplicated on their end. The Arlo Security Light will not trigger recording with after motion detection with the Ultra or Pro.... Here is their response via email to me on the subject matter...

"Update from Arlo: Hi, Scott,

I am done replicating your concern. I installed Arlo security light and added to our arlo account. Edited the rule to Allow ultra camera to record video when the security light detects motion. Allow the Light to detect motion and I received notification but no recording in the library. Tried also arlo pro camera to record video when arlo light detects motion but still no recording. Tried also creating custom mode and still having the same result.

I will be escalating this case to the engineering team for proper resolution and I will get back to you for update."

KenC
Apprentice
Apprentice

Have a similar problem. I set the Arlo Ultro to start recording video when the Arlo light detects motion.  When the Arlo Light triggers, the Arlo Ultra actually also starts recording.  However, the recording is not saved up on the Cloud, but appears to be only saved locally as I looked at the uSD Card and saw the video there.  Uploaded my rule.  

Appreciate notifications when there's an update.  thanks.Screen Shot 2019-08-24 at 11.23.24 AM.png

Llamawerkz
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue and will put in my own support ticket to hopefully push this along.

Jason_ca
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem, security light triggered the Ultra camera recording but only stored locally in SD card, not in the cloud.

frekedk
Guide
Guide
Same issue as the rest with motion detected by the lights but no recording in the cloud.

@Arlo - Please update us on a status / estimate a time for a fix
frekedk
Guide
Guide

No update on the missing cloud recording?

srandall25
Apprentice
Apprentice
Nope. It’s been crickets since Arlo recognizes this very same problem on their end. My ticket is still open on this.
frekedk
Guide
Guide

@srandall25 - Please try if you get recordings now... I just enabled mine to try it out if anything changed and got 2 4K recordings saved in the Cloud.

KenC
Apprentice
Apprentice

Interesting.  Did you make any changes or anything?  I'm still not getting the video uploading to the cloud.

frekedk
Guide
Guide
Not a single change.....

I had the system "Unarmed" since end of August to save battery so I was pretty surprised when the footage showed up in the cloud after I set it backed to "Armed" just to try.

Bjørn 🙂
srandall25
Apprentice
Apprentice
No. It’s a problem recognized by Arlo and they haven’t fixed it yet.
srandall25
Apprentice
Apprentice

none of that works. As previously stated, Arlo recognizes this to be a problem. They haven't provided a firmware update yet to fix it.

KenC
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just checking to see if anyone has heard about any updates yet.  thanks.

srandall25
Apprentice
Apprentice
Nope and I’ve had an open trouble ticket on this for over a month now. Kinda surprised Arlo hasn’t fixed this problem that their own support team admitted to duplicating on their end.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is investigating reports of this issue. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

Dman89
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the Arlo light set with cross trigger on cameras.  The lights will detect motion and turn on the cameras but the lights themselves do not come on.  This is at night.  Is this normal?  Is there a rule or something I have missed?

When I turn off the cross trigger rule and just arm the lights they come on with motion detection.

I get push notifications either way.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I would try and rebuild new custom modes.... make sure the Light On is the first choice for motion and add the cameras as a second device.

It may also help to see your mode flow.

Morse is faster than texting!
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
I'm using all Ultra with two lights. Set up a mode so the lights will trigger my camera to record works perfectly at night. During the day the lights will not trigger the camera to record I am not using a schedule. I'm running out of ideas to solve this problem
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

I have tried exactly what you said in your post I rebuilt the mode at your advice. The light turns.   the camera will not record in the app the camera the areas are yellow stating motion but nothing is recorded to the camera. The library remains empty

KenC
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi All,

I just retried this since there was at least one new app release, maybe more ... during the last few weeks.  Anyhow retried the setting for motion detection on the Arlo Lights and my Arlo Ultra started recording; and I could watch the recorded video on the cloud.  So, appears that the feature is working again.  Apologies if others already had info, but I had been traveling and didn't see any updates to this thread.  

Best of luck to everyone and happy holidays.

srandall25
Apprentice
Apprentice

More than likely your security camera motion detection is also being triggered which is why your video is also recorded in the cloud. If only the motion detection of the security light (not the camera) is triggered, then the associated camera recording trigger or rule setup, will not produce a cloud recording. It will record, but the recording will only be on the local micro sdcard. If your security camera and security light are in close proximity so that when the security camera motion detection is triggered, so is the camera motion detection, then this will produce a recording to the cloud.. but as I said, if ONLY the security light motion detection is triggered, there will be no cloud recording available... only local micro SD card.

Discussion stats
  • 37 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation