Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
JackMalin
Aspirant
Aspirant

Got email saying:

Hi xxxx,
We noticed that the SD card in your Arlo yyyyy is full.
You will no longer be able to record video clips to the SD card. Please go to the Arlo mobile app to delete older activity and re-activate storage of new recordings.

When I go to the iOS app, it shows that it is configured to "Overwrite Automatically", so I would assume that there is no need to manually delete. It shows 22GB available out of 238GB.

Also, I cannot find any way to delete, except if I reformat the SD card.

Finally, trying to find a solution to delete, I toggled the Overwrite Automatically to "off" and now I cannot put back into "on".

Any suggestion besides re-formatting?

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I’d put it back and access the system via the web instead of thru iOS..

Always found the web more stable.

And/or dump the mem card to a temp file on computer and then do the reformat

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
NicH1
Tutor
Tutor

My SD card is full so I tried to download the files to empty it. When I inserted the Micro SD card into the reader/computer, the computer wanted to format the card which I didn't do as I would lose the files on the card. I can view standard video files on my computer, why can't I download them off my SD card?

Also - I set my system to overwrite the files but I presume it isn't doing that as it's telling me the card is full? How do I check that it is overwriting?

Thanks

schustmi
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, same problem here. I don't mind formatting the card but the point of overwriting was so that I didn't have to think about this. 

rturner34345
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I get a warning email that it's full even though I had selected "Overwrite Automatically".

Arlo... seriously!! fix your **bleep**. So annoying how buggy the software is.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

NicH1 I had that issue at first on my 4 year old HP laptop even with the latest drivers, found out it wouldn't read my 4K SD card and wanted me to format, had to get a newer card reader designed to read my 4K card.  Bought a PNY brand for $20 and it worked right off.  Also  downloaded a video player to play them.  My basic Win 10 wouldn't.

CuzICreep
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yep, count me in as well on this.

I have a 1GB USB memory stick inserted into the rear of the hub. It's set to overwrite. Yet, I get emails on occasion saying that it's full... sigh.

NicH1
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you - I'll give that a go, I did wonder about my card reader. It's still frustrating that it doesn't appear to be overwriting when it's set to do this automatically.

NicH1
Tutor
Tutor

Update:

I asked my IT clever son to assist. We bought a Kingston mobilelite G4USB card reader (supports SD, SDHC/SDXC, micro SD/SDHC/SDXC) that can read a micro SD card. He said that it needed to be SDXC compatible. I have been able to copy all the files off, including the metadata files. I wasn't able to open the files so we downloaded (as you suggested) a VLC media player (free/open source) This has allowed me to open and view the videos, I had to right click on a file and tell it to open all videos with this program so they will all default to opening with this. I also purchased a Seagate 4TB portable hard drive to store the files separately as it was explained to me that within a year I would have over 1TB of files from my three camera. I then deleted all data on the micro SD card, reinserted it into the Arlo base and reformatted it so I could continue to record to it again.

I particularly wanted to keep the data for historical reference as sometimes we have had to check things from four months prior.

I hope this information helps others.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Glad you got it working.  I take mine out now and then and delete everything I know I don't want and keep anything I might someday.  Have kept large USB backups for years, have on occasion gone back for something a few years ago.

Jsijnja
Guide
Guide
Same issue here, I have mine set to “Overwrite Automatically”, yet this didn’t occur and the sd card became full and stopped recording. When I needed the 4K video for an incident, it wasn’t there and no 4K recording for several days. Very frustrating that this bug exists in the Arlo Smarthub
GaryAllen
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same happens to me, the system has improved, but that is not saying much, it was totally useless before and now it is just unacceptable... spent over $1K  for something that would be better replaced with 4 x wyze wifi camera (because the battery life is so bad I have to power the arlo anyway)

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation