Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
justyg
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased an Arlo Ultra 4K UHD Wireless Security Camera Kit (5-pack) on 10/31/2019 and have not been able to setup the 1-year free Arlo Smart subscription. This is a new kit.

Phone support was not sure how to proceed. 

I setup the base/cameras on an account that has never had a subscription. Any help would be appreciated. 

Here's the support case: 

Case Number: 41249810
Subject: Inquiry about free subscription in ultra
Created Date: 11/6/2019
Description: issue - Inquiry about free subscription in ultra camera

Informed the customer that we not trained in this product

But tired to inform the details about ultra camera free smart subscription through community web site

But customer asked for clear explanation

call has been transferred to concern team

Please refer to your case number in any correspondence with Arlo Support.

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS AUTOMATED EMAIL.

Thanks,
Arlo Support

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
arsh
Tutor
Tutor

I got the free one year premier subscription with Arlo Ultra Kit on my existing account.

Steps:

1 Cancel my existing subscription and get a refund for the remaining months.

2. Remove Arlo Ultra and the Ultra Base Station from my account.

3. Reset the Ultra base station using the reset button at the back of the Base Station.

4. Repair/Add Ultra Base Station to my existing account.

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Support really should be able to handle subscription issues.  They can't be easily dealt with publicly.

What country are you in?  Is that the same country the system was purchased in?

Arlo subscriptions aren't offered everywhere - the country list is here: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/countries.aspx

Also for some reason (never explained), you can't activate the trial subscription if the system was purchased in another country - even if subscriptions are offered in yours.

justyg
Aspirant
Aspirant
The Arlo Ultra kit in question was purchased in the United States and is being used in the United States.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@justyg wrote:
The Arlo Ultra kit in question was purchased in the United States and is being used in the United States.

That should certainly be available.  Did you try simply adding the premier subscription to your account?

justyg
Aspirant
Aspirant

I haven't tried adding the "Smart Premier" subscription (free for a month) but it's an option. 

The Ultra's 1-year free subscription is the "Arlo Smart", which is what I'm trying to setup. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

justyg,

If you purchased the kit in the US and are setting up on a brand new account in the US, the free 1 year plan will be automatically applied when you claim the SmartHub. There is no code or special process you need to go through to apply the free plan.

The plan can only be applied one time. Was this an open box kit or did you purchase it from another user?

JamesC

justyg
Aspirant
Aspirant
The kit was indeed purchased in the US brand new from Costco. However, I had an existing account that had shared cameras from someone else. I used this account to setup my new Arlo Ultra cameras and base. The account has never had a subscription or had ownership of an Arlo base/cameras before.

What are next steps?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

justyg,

I will escalate your open support ticket and request an agent contact you as soon as possible.

Thank you,

JamesC

iBeard
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am in the same boat. Was already an Arlo pro 2 owner, upgraded to the ultra and I can not activate the subscription. Very frustrated.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

iBeard,

When adding the SmartHub to an eligible account (the account was created in the same country in which the kit was purchased and does not currently have any other active subscription plans) the free 1 year subscription plan will automatically be applied. Can you share more details about your set up?

JamesC

iBeard
Aspirant
Aspirant
I was already subscribed to smart for one camera. I got my new system, cancelled my one camera smart and don't have any other options other than to pay. I live in the US, purchased it new from Best buy. Got the Arlo ultra 2 pack with smart hub.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

iBeard,

I've escalated your open support ticket, an agent will reach out to you to assist further.

JamesC

debdog
Initiate
Initiate

Just bought the above set with the 5 cameras from Costco online. I spoke 4 times with support via chat on ticket number 41299108 and 41296452. I've been told a number of things about how to activate the free one year subscription to Smart Premier. I created a new account and reset my hub but I still am only given the option to get the SP free for one month. I was told to pay for a year and get a refund but there is no option for that when I am signed into my account. I've been an Arlo customer for a long time and I'm more than a little frustrated about what should be a very simple process. Items were purchased in US and used in US. 

Fk99
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m having the same problem as the rest. Purchased the 5pk ultra from Costco and when I go to activate my 1 year free plan, it offers me a month. Please help.
debdog
Initiate
Initiate

I want to say that I love Arlo cameras. But... I am still trying to fix this subscription thing and I've been on hold now for 30 minutes just to talk to someone specializing in setting up my subscription for the Ultra. The first guy was great but then told me he had to transfer me to another rep. I'm seriously thinking of returning my system on principle. Customer service is just not that hard. 

Meanwhile, I'm carrying around my phone while I do housework because I don't have the time to sit and stare at my phone. And this hold music is going to make me jump off my balcony. Whew, I'm done.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@JamesC :

When adding the SmartHub to an eligible account (the account was created in the same country in which the kit was purchased and does not currently have any other active subscription plans) the free 1 year subscription plan will automatically be applied.”

Is the free one year plan only good for the single camera (ultra 4k) or will it allow additional (already included in account) Arlo Pro cams?

What about the maximum number of cams allowed, can five Pros be added on to the ultra hub along with the 4k cam?

Is it any different with the ultra compared to a new AP3? Since it looks like, in that case only four Pros can be added.

Thanks.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Paul_FCCL,

The trial plan included with the Arlo Ultra kit is for Arlo Smart Premier for 1 year. This allows for up to 10 cameras with Arlo Smart. The trial included with Pro 3 cameras is a per camera trial for 3 months.

JamesC

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@JamesC :

thanks for your reply.

To confirm, a current Arlo account with five Pros (with no smart sub, just seven day cloud storage) can buy an Ultra cam with smart hub and add the five Pros to the free one year Arlo Smart Premier, correct?

Just making sure I understand this right.

Thanks again.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Paul_FCCL,

The free 1 year plan that comes with the Ultra kit is an account level subscription. When you claim the SmartHub from that kit, the 1 year plan is automatically added to the account, allowing for  up to 10 cameras to benefit from Arlo Smart. The type of camera doesn't matter, up to 10 cameras are supported. So yes, as you describe, the five Pro cameras would benefit from Arlo Smart after adding an Ultra Kit to that account.

JamesC

Fk99
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James.  The problem I'm having is that it is only offering me one month free instead of the year.  I added the ultra to my account and set it up.  How do I get the year free?  Thank you

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Fk99,

The free plan should automatically be applied to your account when adding the SmartHub. If it's not, you may need to contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate the issue.

JamesC

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@JamesC :

Thank you,

I needed to get that cleared up.

JTelleria
Guide
Guide

I’m in the US and have been subscribed to the Arlo Smart Premier plan for my 5 Arlo Pro 2 cameras for over a year.  It last renewed in June.  I’ll be upgrading to an Arlo Ultra 4-camera system in the next day or two.   Will I still be eligible to get the free year of Smart Premier with the new Smart Hub since I’m already on the Smart Premier plan?  If so, do I first need to cancel the existing Smart Premier plan for my Arlo Pro 2 hub before I can activate the free year on the Smart Hub?  I remember running into issues when I upgraded my subscription to Smart Premier last year.  The option to upgrade the subscription to Smart Premier wasn’t available to my account until I canceled my existing plan.   

synacker
Initiate
Initiate

I am also having this same issue. Bought from Costco in GA, and installed in GA. USA. Installed and configured everything, and there is no plan active.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JTelleria,

To be eligible for the included free 1 year plan with an Ultra kit, the account to which the SmartHub is added must not have an active plan. When you add the SmartHub to an eligible account, the plan is automatically added.

JamesC