Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
BestBuyGuy
Apprentice
Apprentice

In addition to LifeHackster, SteveDoes has another very unflattering Youtube review. He even says that without the free 7 day cloud recording Arlo has no advantage over other brands and is NOT worth it. Whomever is the lead product designer and/or product manager and business strategist needs to be fired. Now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCoXkg4DeUM

4 REPLIES 4
LarryQwest
Star
Star

I think his reply to someone thanking him for the warning sums it up nicely:

"Thank you. Arlo officially broke away from Netgear last year. It seems like they don't want to take a loss in year 1 so they cut every corner they could. That just bit them in the butt because now we have this junk to deal with. Aside from all the quality issues and no more free storage, They also provide less accessories. And on top of that, there new smaller "security" mount is PLASTIC. Such a shame."

People are cancelling or returning their orders left and right. I have never felt so angry before at a company whose product I grew painfully to love due to incompetant leadership.

Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary

To mee it seems they are handing over the value crown to Ring. 

Once users are on the Ultra they will need to spend atleast $100 a year for cloud storage. This also applies once you get over 5 camaras on any product level. Then you are only good until 10 cameras. If you look at Ring you spend $10 a month and they cover everything you run with no limits on number of cameras. It also includes professional monitoring for the Alarm system and then you get a 10% discount on any new cameras or gear. Who knows what is going to happen their once they add that alarm panel and the Smart Home stuff later this year.

I have been very satisfied with the Arlo Pro 2's, and the Arlo Q's I have, but the value proposition is fading really quickly.  

adammiarka
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sorry, but the demo and samples that he shows are not the full quality that the Ultra can do.   He says he demos 4k, but it's not even streaming that because there is supposed to be an indicator in the top right of the screen that shows 4k.   

Agree that there are issues with the Ultra.  My main ones have been app crashes and cold weather temps.   Arlo does seem to be updating at a faster rate.  Hoping they can get things in order prior to the wide spread 1/31 release date.     

adammiarka
Apprentice
Apprentice

What is the Alarm panel?   Just the wireless keyboard, or something different?

The $10 a month is a great deal for Ring.   I just wish their products were designed to look a bit better.   I have the Pro doorbell and still waiting on HomeKit.   Waiting to see if Arlo can release theirs before Ring....who promised it over 2 years ago. 

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation