Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

After 30 days

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
CodyG
Tutor
Tutor

Why do every 30 days do you have to eject the SD card and copy/paste recordings elsewhere. That way the direct storage access allows another 30 days of viewing. Why can't you just have a setting that starts your 30 days over and not have to go through the trouble of  ejecting SD card, deleting, rebooting etc. 

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CodyG wrote:

Why do every 30 days do you have to eject the SD card and copy/paste recordings elsewhere. That way the direct storage access allows another 30 days of viewing. Why can't you just have a setting that starts your 30 days over and not have to go through the trouble of  ejecting SD card, deleting, rebooting etc. 

You don't have to eject the card every 30 days. The app only shows the most recent 30 days.  But generally there are older videos on the card- to see them you do need to eject the card and put it into a PC.  But you don't need to delete or reboot unless you want to.

Do you have "overwrite automatically" enabled?

Note I am still on the "Library" experience - managing retention on the microSD with the new "Feed" experience might be a bit different.

CodyG
Tutor
Tutor

Stephen,

I use a 1Tb SD card and choose to store locally along with port forwarding setup to see outside my network. I work in IT as a profession so technology is kinda my thing.  

To answer your question, no I don't have overwrite enabled because my base station (VMB500r6) says it can handle up to 2tb SD card. I use a 1tb card, so no need to have overwrite enabled as I haven't never got even close to filling it up before I have to redo everything.

I know the library only gives you 30 days of viewing, however once I hit 30 days, my Arlo product (Arlo Ultra) cameras stop recording anything past that. When there's nothing before that 30 days even on the card.. so yeah I have to redo my SD card every 30 days now... And to note admins, after the latest update to my base station (1.20.4.0_1367_38740e8) I'm unable to see ANY videos in my library!  Literally every time I turn around I'm having to mess with this damn thing.  I'll never buy another Arlo product nor will I ever recommend, in fact I will discourage anyone from buying Arlo. Whether it be from word of mouth to my 1,000's of followers on Social Media. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CodyG wrote:

I use a 1Tb SD card 

FWIW, my own microSD card is much smaller ( 128 GB).  

Do you have another card available that you could try?  I have seen some other posts from people having trouble with 1 TB cards.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation