Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

5hz vs. 2.4Gz Ultra and Pro2 Cams

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Nanookie
Apprentice
Apprentice

I recently got an Ultra 1-cam kit to supplement my existing Arlo Security System. 

Arlo Network Set Up (Existing)

-> 6-cam Pro2 bundle operating on an existing Arlo Hub

-> 5 Lights operating on 1 light bridge

-> 1 Light operating on a second light bridge

-> Doorbell / Chime on existing Arlo Hub

-> (new) 1 Ultra Cam operating independently on its own Smart Hub

For my Pro2 cams and DB/Chime, i'm using my Amplifi mesh network to help improve the range of those cams so that everything is always "full bars". The mesh network is setup to 2.4 GHz as whats what cams / Basestation operate at. It does a great job of ensuring cams always full bars.

The ultra cam is running at 5Ghz--as indicatedin the FW version. I want to slowly start moving all my pro2 cams over to SmartHub that the ultra operates off of, because its a better overall hub. However, when I move those cams over, are they going to start running at 5Ghz, or continue to operate at 2.4Ghz. I'm asking as I need my mesh network to continue to support range extension on those cams and need to understand if I need to update my mesh network to 5Ghz (which woudl also help improve range of Ultra).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The older cameras only have 2.4GHz radios.

Also, the only WiFi in use with the Arlo cameras is between the base and cameras. The attempted use of your own WiFi has no effect whatsoever unless it causes interference between the cameras and base.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
brh
Master
Master

@Nanookie 

As far as I know the only Arlo device that uses 5 Ghz is the new Ultra system. 

Brian

Nanookie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Agreed. But, what about when you start adding Pro2 cams to the new SmartHub? Do they start operating at 5Ghz too, or does the SmartHub broadcast in both 2.4 and 5Ghz frequencies for both old and new cams?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The older cameras only have 2.4GHz radios.

Also, the only WiFi in use with the Arlo cameras is between the base and cameras. The attempted use of your own WiFi has no effect whatsoever unless it causes interference between the cameras and base.

DamianR
Apprentice
Apprentice
The Gen5 Ultra base does indeed use 2.4 and 5GHz. Older cameras will connect via 2.4 only. Ultra cameras will connect via 2.4 or 5GHz to provide the best available bandwidth given the signal strength constraints.
Close by, 5GHz will give higher bandwidth.
At extended ranges, 5GHz is lost and 2.4 will be selected to increase coverage.
This is automatic and your home wifi channels do dot get involved.
Final note. It is reccomended to have a couple of meters of separation between wifi router and the Arlo base to avoid interference on the shared wifi bandwidth. (Arlo will often use the same channel as your routers wifi)
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation