Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

4K live is now only 2K live ?

Discussion stats
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

JamesC an explanation please on why 4K live is now only 2K live ?

122 REPLIES 122
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

The part that's funny is "choose a solution from above replies" Have you even read them, they are all complaints about the issue. lol

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

It is not the app or base firmware, it was done by Arlo in the same way they took away 4K from the SD to those who only take the premier plan.  I was still using a older version of the app when my cameras all went to 2K live.  My app still had a 4K toggle even.  Now with the latest app the first five cams have a 2K toggle and additional cams have a 4K toggle but all show in 2K regardless of what the toggle shows.  This isn't just your current setup, since I had to remove and re-install everything three times with the firmware issues, I added the cameras back in a different order each time.  The first 5 show 2K toggle and additional ones show 4K toggle no matter the order of input.  You can bet as I said, it is intentional just as the SD was and there is no fix coming.

Newtledog
Tutor
Tutor

$5 says this is a bug where your cameras are detected as Arlo pro 3. 

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

and why would only the first five be detected as pro 3  lol

Newtledog
Tutor
Tutor

It’s a bug? 

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

That's what JamesC said for  2 months about them taking away 4K to the SD.  He was wrong

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Well another android app update addressing new things like the pro 3 floodlights but not addressing the issue with the toggle being 2K instead of 4K.  Fix what's broken first before adding more stuff to break.

dcfox1
Master
Master

Was there another released recently since the may 4 one. Mabey they just didnt update the firmware post yet. 

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

released on the 14th, notes mention the pro 3 floodlights but no fix to the toggle

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

After checking with others 3 times support gave the were looking at it reply but have no timeline.  So like the past, maybe in a couple months.  One of the biggest lemons I ever spent $2500 on

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Ok Arlo moderators,  The hub firmware has been updated twice and as of the 29th so has the android app, please fill me in on why live is still 2K instead of 4K, it's been well over a month ?

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Is that silence I hear ???

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

JamesC, you had me send you screenshots back in April and opened a case 41631189 I believe it was, surely by now there should be some word.  Since live chat is always busy now I can'r ask them.

MShep84
Guide
Guide

I have the same issue.

What is interesting was up until today I had the Elite smart plan, which enables 4k cloud storage. Up until today, I was able to stream local content in 4k.

I downgraded to the premium smart plan today noticed I was no longer able to streal locally in 4k.

Its a joke. I still have the Arlo Ultra which talks about all these amazing features. All of which are now only available with a monthly subscription.

I contacted the retail I purchased it from today, I am looking at my options to return it.

The Eufy system is looking like a likely replacement.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

I think this proves what I've been saying, it's intentional and they just tell you it's a bug they are working because, well they just don't want to tell you the truth.  Dropping live and your SD to 2K is uncalled for and is probably illegal but they clearly don't care.  Once before I ran into a business with this attitude and they flat out told me "your right and if you want to pay a lawyer go ahead, we already have them on the payroll so it won't cost us anything"  The two times I was successful was going through the AG office but even then they waited until the court date to settle.  The best solution would be class action but it's probably easier to just replace them and let everyone know to avoid them.  We have 4 Best buys in our area that I shop, I've taken to going by the Arlo area if I see customers and rather than say their a crappy business to start trouble I say "Arlo huh, I have 7 of them"  then they ask what I think of them.  Now I'm free to let it all out and what can the clerk say, the customer asked.  lol

Jester_aero
Guide
Guide
Hi.
I have a 3 pack of Arlo ultra. I’ve recently come off the smart trial and signed up one camera to the 2k plan. My understanding was that the cloud recordings would be at 2k and the local recordings will be at 4K. Yet when I check my local recordings they have the 2k symbol and the file size is only 2k. Yet my other cameras that’s aren’t on a plan record locally at 4K.
This doesn’t seem correct.
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Because when you go on the 2K plan they downgrade both live and SD to 2K.  The other two aren't on a plan and so still record locally in 4K.

Jester_aero
Guide
Guide
That can’t be right.
When I was on the year trial, if you didn’t pay for the premium recording option the cloud recordings were saved at 1080p but local recordings were still at 4K.
Surly I wouldn’t lose a feature when paying for a smart plan. Surely there’s no way Arlo would remove a feature. In my country that would be a breach of the consumer guarantees act.
I see your other post about this, did James C ever provide an answer?
@JamesC
Jester_aero
Guide
Guide

In Jan 2020 James C replied on a similar topic:

"4K live streaming and local storage does not require a specific subscription plan. If you renew your existing plan, nothing changes.

With the plans available today, if subscribing to Premier, your cloud recordings are saved up to 2K with 4K live streaming and local storage still available.

If subscribing to Elite, your cloud recordings are saved up to 4K, with 4K live streaming and local storage available.

JamesC"

I have previously had the problem where my 4K recordings were labelled as 2kKwhen it was actually 4K. 

This is not that.

I have checked the file size and they are being saved as 2K not 4K.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

It's a fact, I've been told by support and by e-mail from upper level.  I know what JamesC said back in January because he was replying to my complaint.  Since that time I was also told that they would speak to the moderators about it because they were wrong.  I still have the SD recordings from before I went to paid and since.  They are 4K until the day my paid plan began and 2K from that day on.  The only way your going to get 4K live and to your SD is Elite or no plan.  Now if you believe it or not, well that's up to you.

Jester_aero
Guide
Guide
That seems very underhanded.
I checked the FAQs and they smart plan and all I can see is that the plans alter the 'cloud, recordings. I think it says in the manual that 4k is recorded locally. I read your discussion, it's a shame that someone from Arlo hasn't come on and provided the correct information. It makes me think that they are hoping most people won't notice.
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Yeah it is but short of a class action I don't believe they care.  They are still surviving on Netgears reputation but that will go away.  In fact many of the claims for awards and stuff have them talking about products that were out before they left Netgear and even the awards they post for newer stuff when you look at them like the new spotlight pro3, the award was for innovation not quality or service but that's marketing.  Going back to when they took away 4K on SD.  First they said bug, then it was because you only subscribe to premier.  But your still supposed to get 4K to SD, let me talk to someone, No it's not possible to send one res to the cloud and another to SD.  Didn't you just send 1080 to the cloud and 4K to SD for the last year.  Let me talk to someone.  No if you go premier you only get 2K to everything.  Then they took away 4K live.  Your plan only covers 2K.  But I'm supposed to still get 4K live and have until the update about 2 months ago even with the premier plan.  Let me ask someone, they said it must be your internet.  Look, my internet has been fine for 15 months at 4K and it's not possible for my internet to change the toggles on your app to 2K.  Let me talk to someone.  The said they are aware of it and are looking into it.  So does that give the Arlo picture.

Jester_aero
Guide
Guide
I'm waiting for a Arlo rep or moderater to jump in and provide clear information.
Arlo if your listening can someone please do this.
@Arlo
@JamesC
ChrisJM
Guide
Guide

I chatted to someone online...  I've got multiple issues since upgrading my subscription.

I'm being charged a foreign transaction fee, all my cameras show black screens on the Android app, and my local live streams are at 2k.

They told me that it's only 2k as that's all my subscription is for.  Very cheeky considering the website still states you get 4k local. 

MShep84
Guide
Guide

Talk about deceptive behavior.