Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
ctrad64
Aspirant
Aspirant

One of my 5 cameras burns through batteries. Why? How can I change that?.  In the house it seems to work well but outside I’m charging it every 4 days or so.  While outside I’m only getting one notification a day on average.  Not a high activity area.  Is it picking up motion outside of the activity zone, not reporting it and at the same time depleting the battery?

Thanks,

Cory

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ctrad64 wrote:

Is it picking up motion outside of the activity zone, not reporting it and at the same time depleting the battery?

That will happen.  If the camera is battery powered, then every time motion is detected, the video is streamed to the cloud - which determines if the motion is inside or outside the zone.  So that will deplete the battery.  Cloud activity zones will reduce notifications/recordings, but they won't improve battery life.

The simplest way to check for that is to turn off the zone on that camera for a while, and see how many recordings you get.

You can also try swapping the camera with a different one, and see if the problem moves with the camera or not.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ctrad64 wrote:

Is it picking up motion outside of the activity zone, not reporting it and at the same time depleting the battery?

That will happen.  If the camera is battery powered, then every time motion is detected, the video is streamed to the cloud - which determines if the motion is inside or outside the zone.  So that will deplete the battery.  Cloud activity zones will reduce notifications/recordings, but they won't improve battery life.

The simplest way to check for that is to turn off the zone on that camera for a while, and see how many recordings you get.

You can also try swapping the camera with a different one, and see if the problem moves with the camera or not.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation