Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Why is hub needed with cameras?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
JDB_5730
Follower
Follower

I want to add wired cameras to my doorbell camera. What is purpose/need for hub? What does it do? Does anyone know if Arlo sells wired versions of Ultra 2? Thank you very much in advance. I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JDB_5730 wrote:

What is purpose/need for hub? What does it do?

You can think of it as a specialized router for the cameras.  It creates a power-optimized closed wifi network that the cameras connect to.  It also lets you add a usb drive (or microSD card in the case of the VMB5000) for local storage.

Newer models (Pro 3 Floodlight, Pro 4, Pro 5, Essential) can connect either to a hub or to your home wifi.  Older models (including the Pro 3, Ultra, and Ultra 2) connect only to a hub.

@JDB_5730 wrote:

Does anyone know if Arlo sells wired versions of Ultra 2? 

They don't.  But you can connect it to a charger 24x7.  They sell both indoor and outdoor chargers for it.

They only connect wirelessly - no PoE versions.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JDB_5730 wrote:

What is purpose/need for hub? What does it do?

You can think of it as a specialized router for the cameras.  It creates a power-optimized closed wifi network that the cameras connect to.  It also lets you add a usb drive (or microSD card in the case of the VMB5000) for local storage.

Newer models (Pro 3 Floodlight, Pro 4, Pro 5, Essential) can connect either to a hub or to your home wifi.  Older models (including the Pro 3, Ultra, and Ultra 2) connect only to a hub.

@JDB_5730 wrote:

Does anyone know if Arlo sells wired versions of Ultra 2? 

They don't.  But you can connect it to a charger 24x7.  They sell both indoor and outdoor chargers for it.

They only connect wirelessly - no PoE versions.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation