Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Video recordings not saved in cloud library and alerts are not generated for motion in activity zone

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
tr33333
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a open case now with Arlo L2 for over a month without resolution !!! Technical support for Arlo is very poor !!

Maybe this community can help, since obviously the Arlo engineer cannot. I seem to randomly, but frequently have video recordings not saved in my cloud library and alerts not generated for motion in my activity zone. It only appears to be affecting one camera. I have had Arlo customer service replace RMA the camera and escalate the ticket. I have deleted the zone, re-added the zone...reboot my hub...remove and re-add the camera to my subscription participation (I do have a Arlo Smart Elite multi-camera plan). Nothing is fixing the issue.

I have local storage on my hub, and can see video footage with person and vehicle motion in the activity zone. However no video is stored nor alert generated. However video is stored on my local storage showing that there was motion in the activity zone. I have sent screen shots and video footage to Arlo L2 support, however they are saying that it is working properly. Even though the video clearly shows motion in the activity zone where a cloud library video should have been generated

I guess I don't want to be paying for expensive cameras and a monthly fee to Arlo if I am losing video and crappy support service !!!

Anyone else having this issue and have an idea on how to resolve it....since apparently Arlo L2 support does not ???!!!

Alfred

7 REPLIES 7
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

I suggest removing the zone for a while, and then confirm that you are getting all the recordings in both the cloud and the local storage (and that you are not missing any notifications.

It might also be useful to swap the camera with one that isn't having the problem, reset the zones, and see if the problem moves with the camera or stays with the location.

tr33333
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had Arlo customer service send me a replacement camera. I deleted the zone for a day. Installed the replacement camera. Removed camera entry from my subscription, re-added it, re-created a new zone. the problem persist.

It does not happen all the time, just randomly. However enough times that I can document it happening now, where I can observe motion in my activity zone and no cloud recording or alert. However a recording is stored on the local always on Hub SD storage....showing the motion in the activity zone. So I know the camera is seeing the motion and recording it somewhere

Its as if motion in any activity zones created for that location is periodically or randomly ignored, instead of being recorded to the cloud and alerted. It does not happen with other locations I have Ultra 2 or pro3 spotlight cameras...... only that location

tr33333
Aspirant
Aspirant

Actually a modification to my last statement........its as if motion in any activity zones created for that location is periodically or randomly ignored, instead of being recorded to the cloud and alerted.

Or periodically and randomly activity for that location whether inside or outside the activity zone is considered to be outside the activity zone by the Arlo AI that is used to detect motion and ignored....so no alerts and cloud video recordings are created !!!!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@tr33333 wrote:

Or periodically and randomly activity for that location whether inside or outside the activity zone is considered to be outside the activity zone by the Arlo AI that is used to detect motion and ignored....so no alerts and cloud video recordings are created !!!!

Likely closer to what is going on.

The motion detection itself is done by the camera (using passive infrared (PIR) sensors).  Video is streamed to the base, which will save the recording whether it is in-zone or not.  The video is forwarded by the base to the Arlo Cloud, which then looks to see if motion is inside the zone or not.  Cloud recordings and alerts are supressed if the Cloud thinks the motion is outside the zone.

When you look at the recordings that are being incorrectly surpressed

• are you seeing significant motion outside the zone, as well as some smaller motion inside the zone?
  • is the motion at the edge of the zone?

Also, do you have Auto Zoom and Tracking enabled?  If you do, try disabling it.  It definitely complicates the activity zone detection process.  

tr33333
Aspirant
Aspirant

StephenB - 

Just wanted to say thanks for trying to help....it is appreciated !!! At least I have a clearer idea of what is going on and possible points of failure

Auto zooming and tracking was turned off, when I installed the camera. 

Suppression has taken place either

1. with motion outside the zone, with soon after about 20 seconds actual motion from outside to inside the zone.
  2. Motion coming/initiated from outside to inside the zone only, nothing else happening or no other motion outside the zone.

Funny thing though I have had notifications and cloud video saved.....

1. with motion outside the zone but at the edge,
  2. and for a shadow moving inside the zone for actual motion outside the activity zone.
  3. Come to think of it and looking back....for motion that is initiated inside the zone, that stays inside the zone (blowing/swaying tree or bush)...the notification and cloud video is never suppressed

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@tr33333 wrote:

Funny thing though I have had notifications and cloud video saved.....

1. with motion outside the zone but at the edge,
  2. and for a shadow moving inside the zone for actual motion outside the activity zone.
  3. Come to think of it and looking back....for motion that is initiated inside the zone, that stays inside the zone (blowing/swaying tree or bush)...the notification and cloud video is never suppressed

This isn't all that surprising.  (1) suggests that the "true" edge of the zone (as far as the algorithm is concerned) isn't quite where you've drawn it.  (2) indicates that moving shadows are treated as motion (which I've also seen).  (3) of course is expected behavior.

@tr33333 wrote:

Suppression has taken place either

1. with motion outside the zone, with soon after about 20 seconds actual motion from outside to inside the zone.
  2. Motion coming/initiated from outside to inside the zone only, nothing else happening or no other motion outside the zone.

Not sure if the entire video segment is checked against the zone, or if it is more selective (deciding not to supress before the motion moves inside the zone, and then living with that decision).

It could be biased a bit towards not supressing (which is of course the more conservative approach).

tr33333
Aspirant
Aspirant

Given all we have discussed, I have escalated my ticket within Arlo...hopefully their developers can take a look. 

I will update the thread once I hear more

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation