VMB5000 base station started blinking orange, none of its cameras available

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
EngineerBoy
Tutor
Tutor

I have 10 cameras and two base stations. My VMB4000r3 base station and its cameras are working fine.

A few days ago my VMB5000 base station starting blinking orange and all camera were offline and not recording. Rebooting didn't help. Resetting didn't help. Deleting and re-adding the base station didn't work (no devices found). Moving to plug it directly into my home network switch didn't help.

I can see the device getting an IP address from DHCP and it responds to ping. But it won't come online, and it can't be added to my Arlo setup.

I figured it was dead so I ordered a replacement which arrived today. I plugged it in, turned on, it booted up and starting blinking orange. It got an IP and responds to ping but it cannot be found to add it to my Arlo setup.

So now I have two VMB5000 base stations that power up, get an IP, respond to ping, and can't be added to Arlo. To recap the things I have tried with both base stations:

• I tried multiple power supplies.
  • I tried multiple ethernet cables.
  • I tried multiple ethernet ports on multiple network devices.
  • I have done a hard reset of the devices.

Each hub powers up then starts blinking orange. Research says the orange blink indicates a network or connection issue, but every other device in the household is working normally. The fact that a brand-new, out of the box VMB5000 base station is exhibiting the same behavior leads me to believe there's some issue with my setup, but I cannot figure out what it could be.

The original VMB5000 stopped working completely randomly, there were no changes or events, I just noticed one morning that I had no overnight recordings from half my cameras, and one base station and all its cameras were offline.

I have no idea how to troubleshoot further since I am not aware of any way to gather diagnostics from the VMB5000 base station to give more info about the root cause of the blinking orange LED.

Any suggestions?

2 REPLIES 2
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

I have seen other reports of similar issues with the app unable to find the VMB 5000.

One user said he was able to get it installed by taking the hub to a friends and installing, then taking home to use.

He also indicated using a cellular hotspot works the same.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/Hub-Will-Not-Connect/m-p/1930095#M89233 

Obviously an issue with arlo using the isp.

EngineerBoy
Tutor
Tutor

Well, I fixed my own issue. Even though the entire house full of devices and things, other than two Arlo base stations of the same model, was working I systematically rebooted everything in the house.

When I rebooted my dual-wan router (Edge router) the *both* VMB5000 stations began working.

Do I'm keeping my old one and returning the new one. 

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation