Ultra 2 response time/On battery only features

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
nmjones
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm possibly getting ready to switch from a Pro 2 system to the Ultra 2. My Pro 2 cameras have always been on battery/solar power. I was very satisfied with them for the past 5 years with the exception of response time and not being able to set activity zones because they were on battery power. I would also appreciate a better quality picture. If I remember correctly the Pro 2manual told me at that time that I would see a 5-10sec delay in recording/detection because of it. The information I see now seems to imply that that delay no longer happens on current cameras as long as I have a subscription. Even if it is on battery power. It seems to also imply Activity Zones can be setup (with new cameras) if it on battery power.  Is this correct and what do everyone think about response time and picture quality of the Ultra 2?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

All currently sold cameras (include Ultra 2) need a subscription to get activity zones on battery power.  Some cameras can do also activity zones in hardware when on AC power (with no subscription).  But not the Ultra/Ultra 2.

As far as response time, the processing is done in the cloud.  Whenever motion is detected (in or out of zone) it is streamed to the cloud.  The cloud then figures out if there is motion is in-zone.  If it doesn't find it, the recording and notification is supressed. There isinherently lag, since the motion likely isn't constant. So the system does need to look over a period of a few seconds to check for motion.  Smart notifications can also add some additional lag.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

All currently sold cameras (include Ultra 2) need a subscription to get activity zones on battery power.  Some cameras can do also activity zones in hardware when on AC power (with no subscription).  But not the Ultra/Ultra 2.

As far as response time, the processing is done in the cloud.  Whenever motion is detected (in or out of zone) it is streamed to the cloud.  The cloud then figures out if there is motion is in-zone.  If it doesn't find it, the recording and notification is supressed. There isinherently lag, since the motion likely isn't constant. So the system does need to look over a period of a few seconds to check for motion.  Smart notifications can also add some additional lag.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation