Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Ultra 2 doesn't connect using power cable only

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
jcminneapolis
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

I have the 2 Ultra 2 Spotlight cameras (using firmware  1.070.52.1_35_1bdb65f) and Ultra SmartHub (VMB5000r5 using firmware 1.16.6.2_1022_c366487).

I keep both cameras connected to the Arlo 25 ft. Outdoor Magnetic Charging Cable (SKU: VMA5601C-100NAS)

Starting on Nov 13 at 4pm central, I noticed that the one camera that is only connected to power (no battery inside) started showing up as offline. The same device with a battery in it is just fine. I placed both devices right next to the base station, rebooted the base station several times, and noticed that the devices will ONLY connect if I also have a battery inside.

Is this something that could have changed with the Sept firmware update?

I prefer to operate these without a battery as there's no point in perpetually charging a battery when I'm always connected to AC. Thanks for any advice on this.

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jcminneapolis wrote:

Starting on Nov 13 at 4pm central, I noticed that the one camera that is only connected to power (no battery inside) started showing up as offline. 

Just one camera, correct?  What happens if you swap the cameras (changing both the location and the outdoor charger)?  Does the problem move?

jcminneapolis
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi @StephenB  - thanks for the reply. It's actually both cameras - so changing the location has no effect. If I stand in any location and connect just power, the devices do not connect. If I use the batteries, they connect right away.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you tested the voltage at the magnetic connector? I don't know which pins are which so you'd have to go through the whole matrix to see what happens. BTW, it rather sounds like cleaning both the camera and charger connectors may help - I've had to do that a few times.

Stephenss
Aspirant
Aspirant

The monitor says no Signal from device but the monitor works from my Mac Book with no problem via USB C and the same cable. The monitor also works via HDMI. 

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation