Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
sagebrush22
Tutor
Tutor

Cannot turn on the spotlight on any camera using the phone app on my local network. I can turn on the spotlights using the app in cellular. All other functions work on local network. iPhone SE IOS 15.7

All firmware up to date. weird?

72 REPLIES 72
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Can you update to the latest version of iOS and the Arlo app and test again.

Thanks 

sagebrush22
Tutor
Tutor

Hello, Updated IOS to 16.0.3. looks like that fixed it. I also have an iPhone 13 pro using IOS 15.7. all functions work fine.

JARLoUser
Star
Star

Same issue with the android version of the app. Update has not fixed it please fix this issue its quite annoying.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@JARLoUser

Please reach out to the Support Team to further investigate this issue you are experiencing. You can find several options for contacting support though the Arlo Mobile App by navigating to Settings/System/Support.

Logan500
Initiate
Initiate

Same issue exactly for me as well.  Can turn on spotlight on cameras over cell network, but not over home wifi.  Seems to have begun sometime in the last few weeks, possibly coincident with the release of iOS 16 or one of the revisions since.

I’m using an iPhone SE (2020 version) on iOS 16.0.3, and both the Arlo app and the base station firmware are up to date.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I am tired of Arlo. you have so many un happy customers yet you don't listen. The app is terrible. the HomeKit integration is a load of rubbish and Arlo are to arrogant to listen. I still can't turn the spotlights on through my app on the cameras, and the best Arlo support could suggest is "remove and re-add the device" and "remove the battery and turn it back on". you guys are just not listening to your customers. I am paying a subscription for little returns. My partner can't even access videos recorded locally on the base station. COME ON ARLO. Eufy is where we are looking to go now as you don't support your customers!!!!!! terrible product. terrible support. terrible app. BUYER BEWARE!!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I'll look in to this, thanks for the updates.

JARLoUser
Star
Star

Yea I did and all I got was "uninstall reinstall the app" and "unpair and repair the cameras to the base station". The same ol' generic read off the list fixes that never work. The problem is more than likely on the apps side. Everytime you all update it it breaks. Seriously should think about having beta testers for your product so these type of issues can be caught before release. 

JARLoUser
Star
Star

That recent update you all provided on the 18th didnt fix anything. Just thought id let you guys know

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

Stevewins
Apprentice
Apprentice

All 4 of my Ultra 2 XL cameras have stopped responding to the manual spotlight button.  Nothing happens when it’s clicked.  The spotlights still turn on when recording is triggered via motion, however I cannot turn them on manually anymore via the app button while streaming.  Everything else appears normal, and my Pro 3 floodlight light button still works normally and it’s on the same hub.  I’ve rebooted the hub already.  I’ve checked for any updates on the camera and hub.  My Pro 4 spotlight button connected directly to wifi works normally also.  I’ve tried 2 different iOS devices, and rebooted both to no avail.  What’s going on?

Twohandjam
Aspirant
Aspirant

A couple weeks ago the spotlight stopped responding when trying to turn it on manually while connected to WiFi. When I’m not connected to wifi it works fine. Spotlight also works fine when set to motion. I’ve removed the batteries on all cameras and restarted my base station. Once again there isn’t a problem when I’m using cellular data just when I’m on my WiFi. Any suggestions?  

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Is this occurring over wifi or mobile data? 

Twohandjam
Aspirant
Aspirant

WiFi. Good to know Im not the only one with this issue.  Everything works fine on my wife’s iPhone 11 but my 13 doesn’t.  Or maybe it’s a primary user issue 

Stevewins
Apprentice
Apprentice

When connected to VMB5000r6 hub, the Ultra 2 light button works via cellular data but not when my iPhone X is connected to my home wifi.

When connected to VMB5000r6 hub, the Pro 4 light button works via cellular data but not when my iPhone X is connected to my home wifi.

When connected straight to wifi and not to any hub, the Pro 4 light button works normally on both cellular data and home wifi.

I’ve updated my iPhone to iOS 16.1 and reinstalled the Arlo app, but it didn’t have any effect on the issue.

sagebrush22
Tutor
Tutor

Looks like I have the original problem again. Can't control the spotlights when on my local network. I can control them in Cellular mode on my iPhone SE. I Also now have one camera I can't turn off the the spotlight when useing it. default is always on. I have tried new battery, reboot Arlo app, modem.

ARLO, you got a problem....

Stevewins
Apprentice
Apprentice

Update to my recent post.

When connected to VMB4540r3 hub, the Pro 4 light button works on my home wifi and on cellular data.  So, it appears that the light button issue exists on the VBM5000 hub, but not on the VMB4540 hub and not on straight connection to wifi without going thru a hub.  

This is a recent development so I’m guessing it’s probably a flaw in the latest VMB5000 update.

Stevewins
Apprentice
Apprentice

I noticed that if you turn on the spotlight manually when connected via cellular data and close the app afterward with the light still on, and then open the app later on while on local wifi, the light will go on right away since it was the last condition when you closed the app but the button will still not work.  

Stevewins
Apprentice
Apprentice

Update: I’m unable to duplicate this result more than once so I think it may have been a case of a motion activated spotlight and not one due to the last state or condition when closing the app.  

in any event, this has been a lot of time spent on my part doing the research and troubleshooting that should have been done by Arlo testers before fully deploying the updated code.  Better planning and oversight is needed in the IT group there.  

Bjrich01
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having same problem as OP. Pro 4 cams. 4540 hub. Manual spot light not working while on wifi. All other functions good. Light works on cell network only (or motion).  Please fix Arlo.

shamewow
Aspirant
Aspirant

so I have a floodlight that been working great for the last two years, lately I noticed that I couldn't see any lights coming from it. I restarted, reseted it, re-confgied it, nothing seem to make the lights come on. I can manually turn it on, I can see the red LEDs flashing when there is motion. The flashlight would make clicking sounds when it detects motion. I can manually turn the lights on but not for motion. I check the mode and I have everything setup correctly. Is this an issue with the hardware?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Is there external lighting that could be affecting this? There's a dusk-to-dawn setting in the camera settings under Light Settings that may need to be adjusted.

sweeks888
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem as of late, with my Android based phone.  Reaching out to tech support has gone no where.  They have a few things to try, none of which helped and they have given up (have not heard back from them in more than 2 weeks).  It seems to be an app / router related issue only and "mostly" only Android, though I see a few iPhone's as well.  But apparently updating to latest versions of everything seems to solve the iOS issue, yet not the Android problem with the spotlight.  The mystery seems to escape even Arlo tech support and since this wasn't the case as early as a few months ago, this would seem to be an app related fix that's needed, yet not getting the support from Arlo that it deserves..

sweeks888
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem as of late, with my Android based phone.  Reaching out to tech support has gone no where.  They have a few things to try, none of which helped and they have given up (have not heard back from them in more than 2 weeks).  It seems to be an app / router related issue only and "mostly" only Android, though I see a few iPhone's as well.  But updating to latest versions of everything seems to solve the iOS issue, yet not the Android problem with the spotlight.  The mystery seems to escape even Arlo tech support and since this wasn't the case as early as a few months ago, this would seem to be app an related fix that's needed, yet not getting the support from Arlo that it deserves..

Discussion stats