Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Ultra 2 Require a Subscription for “Library”?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Dave777
Follower
Follower
My free subscription ran out, I am running 4 Ultra 2 cameras with the base station. I’m no longer seeing any recordings in my Library on the app. If I install a SD card in the base will they return? Or only viewable in “Library” with a subscription?
3 REPLIES 3
dcfox1
Master
Master

Without a subscription you will not have any cloud recordings. You can still use Local SD card storage on the VMB5000 Hub through the app. It has its limitations though and IMO the sub is worth it. 

What is Direct Storage Access and how do I use it? (arlo.com)

What options will I have when the Arlo Smart 3-month trial plan ends?

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

If your free subscription ran out you will need to choose a plan to continue viewing a library in the cloud.  Premier for 2K or Elite for 4K.  If not then you can use a SD card to record and view your library.  A SD card does have limits.  You can unmount it and view on your computer or the main account holder can view it through the app while on the same wifi as the hub.  To view away from home you would need to set up a VPN or use port fwd.  The SD doesn't have snapshots, only a number so finding a particular video is a bit of a pain but many do use just an SD.

SinisterStairs
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes, I'm in the same situation as you.  After you install an SD card and format it, go to the Library screen and you'll see a pulldown for "Cloud" at the top.  Click on it and change your selection to your base station / local SD storage.

As others have noted, there are some (likely self-imposed) limitations to local storage, the most egregious being that only the account owner (and not other admin) can view local storage.  That means you need to share you owner account/password with family members and make your 2FA device available to them [since Arlo still hasn't figured out how to make their servers remember your clients], and only one person can be logged in and watch your cameras or library at a time.

From what I can tell, you also can't force local storage to start recording like you can with a Cloud subscription.  (There's no record button when you're watching a camera live.)

EDIT:  There's other limitations, like local recording not being able to distinguish between people, vehicles or animals; but other than the restrictions above, local storage has been sufficient enough for my particular needs.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation