Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Ultra 2 Cam and solar panels

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Ron11a
Tutor
Tutor

New owner/user here.   My question is what is the Wattage of the Arlo solar panel?  Also, from research it looks like many prefer the compatible brand panels over the Arlo version.  Comments??

I have been reading many of the posts here looking for basic info on the Solar Panels for the Ultra 2 cams. Have to admit it was fruitless.  Manuals and basic info  (like many other products) is lacking. Seems to be a trend these days. 

Initial impression of Arlo.  I have never seen a product with such high ratings and yet has so many negative reviews. Time will tell. I'm on the fence.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't forget that virtually ANY product gets way more complaints posted than successes. I'm guilty of that myself. How many positive posts praising a product have you written?

Since the solar panels are just trickle chargers I can't say I've ever seen a wattage rating, especially since that would be best case rather than real world (sun's angle relative to the panel, dirty surface blocking sunlight, etc.).  Some enterprising soul may have cut into one to test output but I haven't seen reports. A panel for the Pro/Pro 2 cameras may be easier to analyze since there's a micro-USB connector that would be easy enough to insert test equipment.

I would also point out the various posts of trouble using 3rd party add-ons so buyer beware...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't forget that virtually ANY product gets way more complaints posted than successes. I'm guilty of that myself. How many positive posts praising a product have you written?

Since the solar panels are just trickle chargers I can't say I've ever seen a wattage rating, especially since that would be best case rather than real world (sun's angle relative to the panel, dirty surface blocking sunlight, etc.).  Some enterprising soul may have cut into one to test output but I haven't seen reports. A panel for the Pro/Pro 2 cameras may be easier to analyze since there's a micro-USB connector that would be easy enough to insert test equipment.

I would also point out the various posts of trouble using 3rd party add-ons so buyer beware...

Ron11a
Tutor
Tutor

@jguerdat 

Actually I have given positive reviews to many products.  I'll give a little of both right now. Adding the Ultra 2s to HomeKit was fast, easy and seamless.  Adding the base station and cams on the Arlo App.... not so much. Way too many popup screens (not helpful for setup), lack of basic needed info and not very "friendly" for a new user. More to come.

I do agree most people tend to rant other than rave about a product. 

On Solar panels.  Many, in fact most of the other panels I have researched DO give the wattage (and voltage), compatible with info and some even give the weather IP rating.  Arlo tells you how long the cable is, it's black or white and weather resistant.  A little vague.  

Last,  why would I cut into one when the output pins are right there on the end of the cable??   

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Your ability to measure current/voltage depends on what you're willing to do.  Open circuit measurements likely aren't the same as those when connected due to being under load. An open circuit will show voltage but not current, at least a useful measurement. 

In any event, I have no idea why electrical specs aren't supplied but may be for similar reasons as not providing printed manuals for most products these days. The Great Unwashed may try doing something silly that could lead to issues or even lawsuits.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation