Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
cws1970
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just purchased two Ultra 2 cameras, both are running on batteries due to location.  I am not subscribed to any Arlo plans at this time.  I am able to set up Activity Zones via the iPhone App as well on by signing on to a desktop PC.  I want to confirm whether or not the Activity Zones will actually work since I am using the batteries without AC power connected to them and I am not currently subscribed to any plan.  Everything I can find online refers only to the Pro Series cameras and not the Ultra Series devices.

On a side note, if all I have to do is sign up for a subscription plan, what does connecting a power source have to do with Activity Zone usage?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@cws1970 wrote:

I want to confirm whether or not the Activity Zones will actually work since I am using the batteries without AC power connected to them and I am not currently subscribed to any plan. 

Activity zones when on battery powered is a subscription feature for the Ultra/Ultra 2 cameras.

@cws1970 wrote:

what does connecting a power source have to do with Activity Zone usage?

When on AC power,  the camera itself implements the activity zones.   That does not require a subscription.

But the power drain is too much for the camera to do this processing when its on battery.  In that case, the activity zones are implemented in the Arlo cloud.  The camera streams video to the cloud whenever the camera detects motion.  The cloud looks at the video and if the motion is out-of-zone it suppresses the recording and notification.  Doing the processing in the cloud requires a subscription.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@cws1970 wrote:

I want to confirm whether or not the Activity Zones will actually work since I am using the batteries without AC power connected to them and I am not currently subscribed to any plan. 

Activity zones when on battery powered is a subscription feature for the Ultra/Ultra 2 cameras.

@cws1970 wrote:

what does connecting a power source have to do with Activity Zone usage?

When on AC power,  the camera itself implements the activity zones.   That does not require a subscription.

But the power drain is too much for the camera to do this processing when its on battery.  In that case, the activity zones are implemented in the Arlo cloud.  The camera streams video to the cloud whenever the camera detects motion.  The cloud looks at the video and if the motion is out-of-zone it suppresses the recording and notification.  Doing the processing in the cloud requires a subscription.

cws1970
Aspirant
Aspirant

Makes sense.  Thank you.

ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

Sounds nice in theory, but it's not real.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation