Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Temporarily disable internet upload

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Sewell
Aspirant
Aspirant
How can I temporarily disable internet uploads or restrict bandwidth used while still recording on the base station?

The uploads consume a lot of bandwidth and can disrupt other latency sensitive traffic like gaming and video calls so I would like to be able to disable the uploads or limit the bandwidth used. I can obviously do this by disconnecting the base station from the internet but would like to know if there is a way I can achieve the same result with a config change.

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Sewell wrote:
How can I temporarily disable internet uploads or restrict bandwidth used while still recording on the base station?

You can't disable uploads with the Arlo app.  You might be able to do it on your router (depending on what specific model you have).  You can of course disarm the cameras, so there is no recording (neither local nor cloud).

On bandwidth restrictions, there are some settings (video settings -> power management) that you could try.  "Best Battery" should also give the lowest bandwidth.  But in practice I haven't found those settings to make much difference.

What is your internet upload speed?

Sewell
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have 400Mb broadband so it’s not really a bandwidth issue but when the Arlo uploads it floods the network causing a latency glitch for other apps like gaming. I’m trying network QOS and limiting the bandwidth on the Arlo port but would like to be able to pause uploads and only use local backup storage.
Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation